Botach Scorpion Tactical Pen Review

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a copy of a pen review I posted on EDforums:

So about a week ago I get an e-mail from Botach, with a special : $12.95 shipped for their own brand of "tactical pen". I was intrigued, having owned several of these "tactical pens", I was curious as to the quality of a piece that only costs $12.95 shipped. So I immediately ordered one and today it arrived in the mail! I don't claim to be a professional pen reviewer, but I'll go over it the best I can. Realize, I've only owned the pen for about 3 hours now so I can't vouch for its longevity - but I will say - It is exceedingly well made, extremely solid feeling, and after a 4 foot drop onto rough concrete, there wasn't even the tiniest nick in the ano. Whatever this sucker is coated in, it's tough, dark matte black, and pretty to look at.

The package arrived in a bubble wrap envelope via first class mail. Inside, I found a sturdy poly tube with vinyl end caps, within: the Botach Scorpion, and a refill in a plastic bag.

IMG_6520_1024x768.jpg

Pics of the pen:

IMG_6521_1024x768.jpg

IMG_6522_1024x768.jpg

My inital impressions: This thing is built like a tank - HEAVY, it also looks mean, having a Benchmade pen-style striking tip exposed even when closed. I also thought the writing was a bit gaudy and the clip to be a bit out place, even though very nicely secured. I also found it interesting that the tip came covered in some kind of hot glue looking material (sorry for the blurry pic, I had a hard time getting a focus on it):

IMG_6524_1024x768.jpg

The pen has special top (which is removable and lanyard-friendly), so when clipped to your pocket or gear, it can be accessed quite easily with little to no fumbling involved. A very nice feature, to say the least. This is also the means by which the clip is attached. There's a groove in the end of the cap that the clip rests into, and the "gripper top" screws down, securing it to the pen. Nice....

Another thing I really like about this pen is that the cap screws on either way! A major pet peeve of mine with many so called "tactical pens" is that half of them have no provision for keeping your cap around while you're actually writing with the pen. Also, the writing end looks to be just as dangerous, if not more so than the other end, so open, it could even be used like a double-ended kubaton. I also like the o-ring... It should make the pen pretty watertight, if that's an issue for you.

IMG_6527_1024x768.jpg

The pen is 6.3" long, but some of that is the gripper cap/lanyard ring top that extends above the pocket. I'm 6'1", 185 lbs and I don't even notice the Scorpion when it's clipped in my pocket. I just keep it all the toward the back of my jeans pocket and it disappears... I'm thinking about making a small lanyard just to make accessing it that much easier.

Here's a pic of it broken down into all of its components:

IMG_6525_1024x768.jpg

I would definitely have to say this pen is by far the best deal out there in tactical pens. I've owned ones that cost 10 times more and honestly, they're no better made. I like it so much, I ordered more for myself and as gifts because I honestly can't see how they can afford to keep this deal going long. If you've been disappointed by some other tactical pens, give this one a try. Color me impressed. This has to be the best gear bargain going right now... It may not be the prettiest girl in the neighborhood, but the ergonomics are great for both striking and writing. Oh yeah - and it writes pretty nicely too (sorry, I don't know my pen refill names or styles very well)!

One more pic to show how then pen is broken down to accept new refills:

IMG_6526_1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Interesting setup. If you had two caps, one sans clip, you could cover both ends for carry.

Bill

1 what

Enlightened
Thanks - nice overview.
Another thing I really like about this pen is that the cap screws on either way! A major pet peeve of mine with many so called "tactical pens" is that half of them have no provision for keeping your cap around while you're actually writing with the pen.
I could not agree more. Other manufactures please take note.

But why oh why did they have to put that ugly "Botach Scorpion" graphic on the cap. I'm afraid that's the deal breaker.

paddling_man

Newly Enlightened
The "hot glue" on the writing tip when delivered is standard for any gel insert.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've seen that tactical pen design before. Just can't put my finger on it right now.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks - nice overview.

I could not agree more. Other manufactures please take note.

But why oh why did they have to put that ugly "Botach Scorpion" graphic on the cap. I'm afraid that's the deal breaker.

It doesn't look laser etched, if anything it looks like maybe some kind of paint???? I could always try to hit it up with something to see if it rubs off... Will keep you updated after I try.