4 Sevens

Thread: Battery cases

Default Battery cases

hi,

i've been looking for AA, AAA, CR, & 18650 carrier.
    Until now, I only found cheap plastic cases.
    Even if the overall built is ok, they lack of reliability in the hinges.

Any suggestion?
    Last edited by Budda; 06-05-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Default Re: Battery cases

I carry a spare 18650 in a waterproof match case. You can find them in Wal Mart sporting goods for a buck.
    http://www.bestglide.com/waterproof_match_holder.html

G27

Thanks G27, I'd like something more size-specific.

I uses these:

But they do not exits in 18650 size.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Enlightened

I uses those ^ too.

Not sure why they make the AAA in a 6 pk and the AA in 4 and 12 pks. If they start to make an 8 pk for AA/AAA maybe I'll buy a few.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    I uses these:

I just had a delivery of half a dozen of these from America land and I am quite pleased with them. I threw a couple of Eneloops into a 4xAA case to keep as spares with my work gear and do a great job of this.

Cheers

These 'Battery Storage Tubes' from lighthound.com work great for 2x18650, or 4xCR123a.

http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthound...es_p_2803.html

Apparently they are 'pre-inflated' 2-liter pop bottles. Tough, waterproof, dirt cheap. There is just a smidgen of rattle room at the top, so I usually stuff a very tiny amount of plastic-something in there to make it quieter. With no disrespect intended to Countycomm.com, their 'tube vaults' appear to look identical, but are just a little too short (or differently internally tapered) to fit in 4xCR123a cells.
    Countycomm does make the only right-sized keychain 1xAA holder I've ever seen, the Delrin 'AA battery locker'.
    For single cells, A geocaching 'large bison tube' fits 1xAAA pretty well, and a 'squat' aluminum pill fob is a good size for 1xCR123a.

The waterproof match case mentioned above is fairly size-specific for either 1x18650, or 2xCR123a, except you might want to roll some thin cardboard inside to reduce side-to-side rattle, and perhaps a little wadding on top, but they are not grossly oversized, and they're waterproof, and I think they are about $2 here in the States.
    Last edited by novice; 06-07-2011 at 08:27 PM.

The Battery Storage Tubes' from lighthound.com are awesome looking for the price.
    I need water tight storage for CR123 and 18650 cells as my Olight M20 magazines may be just a step above duct tape as all they do is hold the cells together.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    I uses these:

I have quite a few of these however they are only good for primaries not secondary batteries. Placing and removing batteries wears on the casings so it damages the wrapping on rechargeable batteries over time going in and out of the carrier.

I use these for rechargeables. They were available for like $5 shipped. Try bendoverbay.

http://www.amazon.com/CR123A-Battery.../dp/B004FRAY8M

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
    I have quite a few of these however they are only good for primaries not secondary batteries. Placing and removing batteries wears on the casings so it damages the wrapping on rechargeable batteries over time going in and out of the carrier.

I use these for rechargeables. They were available for like $5 shipped. Try bendoverbay.

http://www.amazon.com/CR123A-Battery.../dp/B004FRAY8M
    Which sizes are you using? I noticed the tabs put a little mark on the casing of a D cell that I didn't seat all the way. Haven't noticed anything significant on the rest of my rechargeables from C, D or 9v holders. Granted there's only been a few dozen times I put batteries in/out

That said, I could see them using a softer plastic. Price is an issue as well. I wonder if this orange AA holder is a different plastic? It has a different design than the other colors. (GITD plastic can be on the softer side as well - haven't compared in this case)

http://powerpax.3dcartstores.com/12A...range_p_8.html

On the plus side it is a well designed product. You can put batteries in button up or button down. The 9v holder has a little ridge on the bottom to separate + and - if you put it in upside down. My battery drawer has never been so well organized.

For AA/AAA the cheap holders that are sometimes given away are fine by me. I could see where the scoring might be an issue there.

Size AA. Not sure softer plastic is will solve the problem. The initial lip is what keeps it sliding out and this what exacerbates any tears on the edge. The small bridge of plastic across the middle is usually what starts tears on the edge. Maybe it's just me, but I usually it the bridge putting AA in and again over time they wear.

I use this for a single AAA. It's a nitro pill holder purchased at cvs pharmacy. It's the most perfect size for aaa. The Battery has zero rattle. Only thing i had to do is dremel down the cap about 1mm. Now when it's screwed down it snugs down on the battery just barlely. Perfectly!
    http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...1307835594.jpg
    http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...1307835675.jpg
    http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...1307835719.jpg
    http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...1307836448.jpg

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
    See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 07-29-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    Im looking for a Moddoo pocket clip for NovaTac, Pm me if you have one to sell! Just name a price! thank you

I use this for a single AAA. It's a nitro pill holder purchased at cvs pharmacy.
    Nicrod, how long ago did you purchase this? I looked for these at CVS about a year ago and didn't find any. Unfortunately the only CVS close to me is out of my way to get to, so stopping on a regular basis to check isn't practical. I have to make a special trip.
    You Can't Fix STUPID!

Walmart sells a water resistant cell phone case that is just the right size for a bunch of 18650 batteries. They also sell a match case that will keep one 18650 watertight and safe. There are several places like Lighthound that sell tubes that will keep 2 18650s or 4 RCR123 cells safe. The cell phone case and the match case are both sold in the camping equipment section of the store.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    Nicrod, how long ago did you purchase this? I looked for these at CVS about a year ago and didn't find any. Unfortunately the only CVS close to me is out of my way to get to, so stopping on a regular basis to check isn't practical. I have to make a special trip.
    I got this about 3 weeks ago. There $5.29+tx. I also have one that fits a 123. That one came from walmart. Let me know if u would really like one, I can pick one up and ship it to you.
    Im looking for a Moddoo pocket clip for NovaTac, Pm me if you have one to sell! Just name a price! thank you

And here's my perfect-fitting AAA battery case.

Btw, it happens to be a flashlight too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicrod View Post
    Let me know if u would really like one, I can pick one up and ship it to you.
    Nicrod, thanks for the generous offer! I made a trip to CVS and they had 3 of them!

Thanks again for the offer.
    You Can't Fix STUPID!

Nicrod, thanks for the generous offer! I made a trip to CVS and they had 3 of them!

Thanks again for the offer.
    No problem at all! Glad you were able to acquire some! Let me know how you like em, after a little grinding.

Zeruel, that's a pretty sweet battery case you have yourself. I was gona ask where you got it until I saw it was a flashlight. Still really sweet. I was thinking to try out the titanium ones at battery junction. There $25.00 each. They have one that holds AAA, then if u need it for AA you just unscrew an inner piece to fit it. Anyone have this, I would like to know how u like it??
    Last edited by Nicrod; 06-13-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicrod View Post
    No problem at all! Glad you were able to acquire some! Let me know how you like em, after a little grinding.
    Nicrod, did you grind the cap or the body? With the cap screwed all the way down on mine, I had just a little battery rattle up and down. I has some soft foam from which I cut a small piece and put it in the bottom of the body. Now the cap contacts the top of the battery and the foam acts as a spring (and insulator) on the bottom of the battery and eliminates the rattle.
    You Can't Fix STUPID!

Nicrod, did you grind the cap or the body? With the cap screwed all the way down on mine, I had just a little battery rattle up and down. I has some soft foam from which I cut a small piece and put it in the bottom of the body. Now the cap contacts the top of the battery and the foam acts as a spring (and insulator) on the bottom of the battery and eliminates the rattle.
    On my specimen, without modifying the cap wouldn't screw all the way down because the battery was a tad too tall. So I ground about 1 complete thread off the "cap" and kept test fitting it until I was screwed all the way down. It sounds like yours is a little taller for some reason but u found a good fix nonetheless.

Nick

Default Re: Battery cases (Pic Heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by Budda View Post
    hi,i've been looking for AA, AAA, CR, & 18650 carrier.Until now, I only found cheap plastic cases. Even if the overall built is ok, they lack of reliability in the hinges.Any suggestion?
    By now, I imagine you've already come across the case that suits your needs, but for anyone else looking for a highly dependable case to carry their 18650s and CR123s, I highly recommend a Pelican 1010 case. It's waterproof, crushproof, airtight, and has very solid hinges.

The 1010 will hold 10 18650 batteries, or you can combine those with CR123 batteries in tubes like you'd use on your CR123/18650 lights anyway, and they're very secure.If you're looking to carry just CR123 batteries, they make an insert that will house twelve of them very firmly (see pictures). I bought mine at Battery Junction on-line.

For carrying combinations of AA, AAA, and CR123 batteries, I've been using Maxpedition Volta battery cases; but I haven't had them very long, and I, too, question how long I can expect the hinges to last, before they wear out and eventually break. So far, no problems, though.I'd stick with Pelican, for super sturdy cases for just about anything. They've been around a long time and have a solid reputation. Notice, in the pictures, the AAAs can kind of rattle around; so, I ended up using a small piece of foam between the cover and the batteries, to prevent that (I don't like my pockets rattling lol).

True story: As all of you who have traveled with lithium batteries know, TSA do not allow them to be checked with your baggage. They have to be carry-on items, and they have to be properly sealed to insure against shorts. When I made my first airplane trip with lights that ran on lithium batteries last year, my stuff got temporarily held up at the security checkpoint, because TSA screeners confused my box of 12 Surefire CR123 batteries for bullets! Now - I don't own a firearm, and I have no clue what boxed bullets are supposed to look like, but I didn't want that happening to me ever again. Since then, I decided to carry them in my (at the time) newly-acquired 1010 case, and I've never had a problem since.

]

The Maxpedition Volta case...

Last edited by david57strat; 07-28-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Added Volta Case pictures

Default Re: Battery cases (Pic Heavy)

I've been using Maxpedition Volta battery cases; but I haven't had them very long, and I, too, question how long I can expect the hinges to last, before they wear out and eventually break. So far, no problems,
    The Volta cases are great. 14500 are just a smidgen too long though.

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    These 'Battery Storage Tubes' from lighthound.com work great for 2x18650, or 4xCR123a...
    In the bottle biz they are called preforms. I bought 15 from CountyComm a couple years ago and I love them. I'm constantly finding different uses for them.

They are made in many, MANY sizes. At least hundreds. Think of all the things we buy in different sized plastic bottles -- and they all started out as preforms. I have been looking for a consumer oriented vendor who has a few sizes besides 2 liter. If anyone knows of a preform store online please post the url. If I had the access I would buy MANY sizes of preforms.

The industry sources have a cool size for every cell you could want but they'll only sellin lots above 2,000-6,000 pieces. YIKES!
    Last edited by Sub_Umbra; 07-30-2012 at 03:48 PM.

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 07-30-2012 at 05:23 PM.

I wanted to give an update to my experiences with 'large size' Bison tubes, used for geocaching. The first time I ordered some, a couple of years ago, they fit an AAA cell great; all I did was shove a small amount of foam in the bottom of the tube, and the top of the cap, to prevent rattle. About a year or two later, I ordered some from an online dealer, and they had changed. There was a plastic insert 'sleeve' in the body, which was too narrow to drop in a single AAA cell, so I pulled it out with needle-nose pliers, cut it off close to the base, shoved it back down in with something narrow, put in a small amount of some foam in the top 'cap', and it then worked fine for putting in 1xAAA. I just ordered several more recently. This new batch was stamped 'China' at the base of the tube. No plastic sleeve insert, and an AAA cell dropped into the tube fine, but the cap, which extended and fit down inside the body tube, has an internal dimension smaller than the outside dimension of an AAA cell. I managed to get one to work, sort of, by hand filing and dremeling for awhile, but later attempts to 'drill out' the cap ended badly, and I would strongly urge anyone considering this container as a spare AAA keychain holder to please consider other more viable options.
    Last edited by novice; 08-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.

I use an HPRC 1300, which fits 6 cells, with some rattle. 4 paper tissues or microfiber cleaning fabric solves that for me. next to no sideways rattle. might not fit protected cells.
    http://www.plaber.com/1300.htm

Only thing... i mostly swap 3 batteries at once, and then cant remember which ones are still full...
    i should mabye do full=positive toward the hinge or something..

full case:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/s/g6t0xgaaxsretjh/P1010861.JPG
    Last edited by valravn; 01-05-2014 at 05:52 AM.

Does anyone know if the CountyComm AA battery locker will fit a AW 14500?

I got the 123 battery locker from them and it is great (nearly perfect); all I had to do was cut a small circle of thin white packing foam and simply place it at the bottom to stop the small amount of rattle that it had. The packing foam is pretty thin (only a mm or maybe a few thick) and comes in sheets. The diameter of the tube is ideal, but there was just a tiny amount of space from top to bottom.

CountyComm has AAA lockers, too. And they have those cable keychains in two sizes (which are good for connecting battery lockers). ..And those matchstick cases in an olive color that hold a 18650 or two 123s.

I just placed another order with them and got another 123 locker, but also ordered the AA locker to hold a spare AW 14500 for my SC52w. I just hope it is long enough to hold it and still close completely to be waterproof. If no one knows, I'll report back in a few days when I get my order.

I also have the Titaner titanium battery and pill case that holds a 123. Pricey, but very nicey!

EDIT/UPDATE:

The AA battery locker fits a AW 14500 perfectly; as in, it barely fits. It doesn't slide right out when you tip the locker over, but it comes out on the first shake, every time. And the 14500 isn't too tall for the locker, so I'm very happy with my purchase.

The matchstick cases have a mirror glued to the inside of the lid. I'll have to try to get it out. What is it there for?
    Last edited by burntoshine; 01-08-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: additional information
    i like flashlights.