Battery cases

Budda

Enlightened
hi,

i've been looking for AA, AAA, CR, & 18650 carrier.
Until now, I only found cheap plastic cases.
Even if the overall built is ok, they lack of reliability in the hinges.

Any suggestion?

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I uses these:
DSC_0630.jpg

But they do not exits in 18650 size.

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
I uses those ^ too.

Not sure why they make the AAA in a 6 pk and the AA in 4 and 12 pks. If they start to make an 8 pk for AA/AAA maybe I'll buy a few.

Samy

Enlightened
I uses these:
DSC_0630.jpg

I just had a delivery of half a dozen of these from America land and I am quite pleased with them. I threw a couple of Eneloops into a 4xAA case to keep as spares with my work gear and do a great job of this.

Cheers

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
These 'Battery Storage Tubes' from lighthound.com work great for 2x18650, or 4xCR123a.

http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthoun...batteries-or-4-x-CR-123-batteries_p_2803.html

Apparently they are 'pre-inflated' 2-liter pop bottles. Tough, waterproof, dirt cheap. There is just a smidgen of rattle room at the top, so I usually stuff a very tiny amount of plastic-something in there to make it quieter. With no disrespect intended to Countycomm.com, their 'tube vaults' appear to look identical, but are just a little too short (or differently internally tapered) to fit in 4xCR123a cells.
Countycomm does make the only right-sized keychain 1xAA holder I've ever seen, the Delrin 'AA battery locker'.
For single cells, A geocaching 'large bison tube' fits 1xAAA pretty well, and a 'squat' aluminum pill fob is a good size for 1xCR123a.

The waterproof match case mentioned above is fairly size-specific for either 1x18650, or 2xCR123a, except you might want to roll some thin cardboard inside to reduce side-to-side rattle, and perhaps a little wadding on top, but they are not grossly oversized, and they're waterproof, and I think they are about $2 here in the States.

Last edited:

DasFriek

Newly Enlightened
The Battery Storage Tubes' from lighthound.com are awesome looking for the price.
I need water tight storage for CR123 and 18650 cells as my Olight M20 magazines may be just a step above duct tape as all they do is hold the cells together.

mellowman

Newly Enlightened
I uses these:
DSC_0630.jpg

I have quite a few of these however they are only good for primaries not secondary batteries. Placing and removing batteries wears on the casings so it damages the wrapping on rechargeable batteries over time going in and out of the carrier.

I use these for rechargeables. They were available for like $5 shipped. Try bendoverbay.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FRAY8M/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
I have quite a few of these however they are only good for primaries not secondary batteries. Placing and removing batteries wears on the casings so it damages the wrapping on rechargeable batteries over time going in and out of the carrier.

I use these for rechargeables. They were available for like $5 shipped. Try bendoverbay.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FRAY8M/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Which sizes are you using? I noticed the tabs put a little mark on the casing of a D cell that I didn't seat all the way. Haven't noticed anything significant on the rest of my rechargeables from C, D or 9v holders. Granted there's only been a few dozen times I put batteries in/out

That said, I could see them using a softer plastic. Price is an issue as well. I wonder if this orange AA holder is a different plastic? It has a different design than the other colors. (GITD plastic can be on the softer side as well - haven't compared in this case)

http://powerpax.3dcartstores.com/12AA-Pack-Battery-Caddy-orange_p_8.html

On the plus side it is a well designed product. You can put batteries in button up or button down. The 9v holder has a little ridge on the bottom to separate + and - if you put it in upside down. My battery drawer has never been so well organized.

For AA/AAA the cheap holders that are sometimes given away are fine by me. I could see where the scoring might be an issue there.

mellowman

Newly Enlightened
Size AA. Not sure softer plastic is will solve the problem. The initial lip is what keeps it sliding out and this what exacerbates any tears on the edge. The small bridge of plastic across the middle is usually what starts tears on the edge. Maybe it's just me, but I usually it the bridge putting AA in and again over time they wear.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
I use this for a single AAA. It's a nitro pill holder purchased at cvs pharmacy. It's the most perfect size for aaa. The Battery has zero rattle. Only thing i had to do is dremel down the cap about 1mm. Now when it's screwed down it snugs down on the battery just barlely. Perfectly!
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i386/Nicrod750/1307835594.jpg
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i386/Nicrod750/1307835675.jpg
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i386/Nicrod750/1307835719.jpg
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i386/Nicrod750/1307836448.jpg

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

OCD

Enlightened
I use this for a single AAA. It's a nitro pill holder purchased at cvs pharmacy.

Nicrod, how long ago did you purchase this? I looked for these at CVS about a year ago and didn't find any. Unfortunately the only CVS close to me is out of my way to get to, so stopping on a regular basis to check isn't practical. I have to make a special trip.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart sells a water resistant cell phone case that is just the right size for a bunch of 18650 batteries. They also sell a match case that will keep one 18650 watertight and safe. There are several places like Lighthound that sell tubes that will keep 2 18650s or 4 RCR123 cells safe. The cell phone case and the match case are both sold in the camping equipment section of the store.
xyxthumbs.gif

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Nicrod, how long ago did you purchase this? I looked for these at CVS about a year ago and didn't find any. Unfortunately the only CVS close to me is out of my way to get to, so stopping on a regular basis to check isn't practical. I have to make a special trip.

I got this about 3 weeks ago. There $5.29+tx. I also have one that fits a 123. That one came from walmart. Let me know if u would really like one, I can pick one up and ship it to you.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
And here's my perfect-fitting AAA battery case. :p

78574235.jpg

42648760.jpg

27642611.jpg

25490093.jpg

10798631.jpg

Btw, it happens to be a flashlight too. :D

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Nicrod, thanks for the generous offer! I made a trip to CVS and they had 3 of them!

Thanks again for the offer.

No problem at all! Glad you were able to acquire some! Let me know how you like em, after a little grinding.

Zeruel, that's a pretty sweet battery case you have yourself. I was gona ask where you got it until I saw it was a flashlight. Still really sweet. I was thinking to try out the titanium ones at battery junction. There $25.00 each. They have one that holds AAA, then if u need it for AA you just unscrew an inner piece to fit it. Anyone have this, I would like to know how u like it??

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
No problem at all! Glad you were able to acquire some! Let me know how you like em, after a little grinding.

Nicrod, did you grind the cap or the body? With the cap screwed all the way down on mine, I had just a little battery rattle up and down. I has some soft foam from which I cut a small piece and put it in the bottom of the body. Now the cap contacts the top of the battery and the foam acts as a spring (and insulator) on the bottom of the battery and eliminates the rattle.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Nicrod, did you grind the cap or the body? With the cap screwed all the way down on mine, I had just a little battery rattle up and down. I has some soft foam from which I cut a small piece and put it in the bottom of the body. Now the cap contacts the top of the battery and the foam acts as a spring (and insulator) on the bottom of the battery and eliminates the rattle.

On my specimen, without modifying the cap wouldn't screw all the way down because the battery was a tad too tall. So I ground about 1 complete thread off the "cap" and kept test fitting it until I was screwed all the way down. It sounds like yours is a little taller for some reason but u found a good fix nonetheless.

Nick