Best Air Filter For Dusty Home (reprised)

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
A filter is 1/2 the issue, but as you mentioned a full clean is not possible. So a mix of the two is required.

Quick 1 2 3:

Treat the cause:
1. Clear any large/major causes of dirt in the air as best you can, even if its just a dusting or quick once over, the worst parts are what you need to hit.

Purge the poison:
2. Get a hepa filter system, anything that is real hepa with a few extra filters. Run it hard for a while and change the filters when needed. (This is your "purge", you will eat a filter or two. Once complete the dirty air will be in pretty good shape as you have removed the bulk of it, and the major causes of it(step 1))

Maintain the balance:
3. Put in a fresh filter and change as directed.(normal use begins)

jugg2

Enlightened
Re: Best Air Filter For Dusty Home

I'm with robk on this! I'm working at a Lennox dealer A/C company now and Lennox is really big on indoor air quality. We regularly sell the ultraviolet light cabinets and the MERV 16 5" filter cabinets with a new system.

I'm not trying to sound like a salesman by any means, but when you work on the equipment like I do and have to change those filters its absolutely amazing what they catch! Lennox even has a true HEPA filter system that piggybacks onto the ductwork for even more filtration. I have been in some immaculately kept homes and the HEPA will still need changing within a year because they trap so much dust and debris.

Whole house is the way to go IMHO. I designed my A/C system with enough filter space t use 1" pleated filters (MERV 8 I think?) and then a 5" MERV 10 at the unit and the house is nearly dust free.

Good luck in your search!

Caleb Wilson

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

nothing like reviving an 8 year old dead thread to "clear the air". I think it would be better to start a new thread as the author of this one now has an 86 year old mother instead of 78.

Empath

Flashaholic

revi reported as spam

The spammer has been removed, and his advertisement post deleted.

Resulting replies has been given a new thread, rather than the original thread of eight years ago.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

Paper towels and toilet paper ripped-off the rolls ,

accounts for a LOT of the dust and particles in your home .

They float in the rays of sunlight that stream in through your window panes .

The rest is dead skin dander falling off YOU and your DOG when he shakes .

Guess it's time to go vacuum again .

~

jugg2

Enlightened

Wow! I didn't even notice how old it was! When I see something with so few comments I automatically assume it's new... Thats what I get for assuming haha...

Caleb Wilson

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Another huge source of dust is kleenex (using the term generically here). The softer ones tend to be dustier as they seem to use a powder coating to make them softer. Hold a kleenex up to a sunbeam (or in front of a laser) and flick your finger against it - you will be amazed at how much dust it kicks off.

I deliberately buy the cheaper 'scratchier' facial tissues since I don't want to shove a bunch of dust up my nose, especially when I have a cold or an allergy.