Coleman 8D Twin LED High Performance Lantern or Coleman LED Quad Lantern?

Brazos_Jack

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the market for a battery operated LED lantern. Number one - it needs to put out a lot of light. I've taken a job over seas and have most of my stuff in storage. These storage places have crap for lighting so I have trouble sorting through my stuff every time I'm home. I'd like the lantern to have reasonably good battery life - but did I mention it needs to be really bright?

Both of these look like good lights, I'm drawn to the 8D Twin LED High Performance because of its listed 580 lumens on high. But the 190 lumen LED Quad seems to get a lot more on line love. I've had trouble finding any reviews of the 8D Twin LED High Performance Lantern. Is it new? Is the Quad better? Why?

The prices of these two don't bother me. I would pay even more if there was someting even better than these two. I just want a lot of light for working in my 'no flamables allowed' storage unit with as much battery life as I can get without sacrificing maximum brightness.

Rechargables are of zero value to me. The storage units have no outlets and if I had a house to leave the lantern at to recharge, I wouldn't be renting storage units. (There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza)

I hope I can get some input to this thread that will shed more light than heat.

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
I would choose the 8D Twin LED any day. The detachable panels on the quad are a good marketing gimmick. That would explain the online love you are seeing. However, I am very skeptical about the long term performance of the rechargeable batteries in those panels, not to mention how they need several LEDs to put out a fraction of the light output of the 8D LED model. If brightness is your prime concern, then the 8D Twin is the clear choice. You may be able to get something even brighter if you look for 8D fluorescents.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with everything LanternLover just wrote: between the two listed options, the 8D Twin LED High Performance is the better of the two. But I also suggest the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme lantern. It is not objectively as bright as the 8D Coleman, but it weighs much less, is built better, and is less expensive. I would buy two Rayovac Sportsman Extremes, and call it a day. There is a lot of information on CPF on it right now. :)