Streamlight Stylus Pro, new 48 lumen version

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a new 48 lumen version Streamlight Stylus Pro and was pleasantly surprised to find an extra rubber pushbutton boot included. The tailcap on the new version is constructed with a threaded ring which can be unscrewed to access the rubber boot. (The old version is shown at the top of the photo below.)

The pocket clips on both the new 48 lumen version and prior 24 lumen version look the same.

The new Stylus Pro draws about 200 mA from a pair of Energizer E2 Lithium AAA primary batteries versus about 143 mA drawn by the older Stylus Pro.

stylus-pro-old-vs-new.jpg

stylus-pro-tail.jpg

elumen8

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up on the new design. I always carry a Stylus Pro in my briefcase. I've never had a problem with the rubber boot but its nice to see that they thought it was important enough to include an easily replaceable spare.

Do you think the bump in lumens is enough to warrant getting the new one? I can't believe I said that out loud...I'm gonna buy it anyway.

JB

Schuey2002

Enlightened
I really like the 24-ish lumen Streamlight Stylus Pro that I got on Ebay recently. But I would love to own the new upgraded model..

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase this light?

Last edited:

mrpink

Newly Enlightened
ill get it right now if they have the blue one in 48 lumens

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightguy has both the 24 lumen model AND the new 48 lumen model:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Stylus_PRO.php

I'm happy to see that they are including a spare rubber switch boot and making it easily replaceable, as that seemed to be the only weak point on this light. Along with the increase to 48 lumens, this makes a nice upgrade indeed.

Now, if we could get them to offer a neutral tint or Hi CRI LED :naughty:.

I've been going back and forth between this new 48 lumen Stylus Pro and the new TerraLux 80 lumen model (available at Battery Junction). The Stylus Pro is a bit slimmer and weighs a bit less, but the TerraLux has the slightly higher CRI LED.

I know, I should get both and do a comparison review :).

By the way, parnass, thanks for the photos and your thoughts on the new Stylus Pro.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Stylus Pro's hot spot is almost twice the diameter of the old version. The new light has a small, slight dark spot near the beam center.

The new light has a noticeably brighter spill and throws farther. Informal ceiling bounce testing (by eye) shows the difference in overall output, too -- the newer Stylus Pro wins. My 48 lumen Stylus Pro and new 55/6 lumen Inova X1 are tied with each other in ceiling bounce tests, though the X1 throws ever so slightly farther outdoors.

My 48 lumen Stylus Pro's tint is slightly on the warm side, but not too much so -- not quite as warm as the new 55/6 lumen Inova X1. My older 25 lumen Stylus Pro has a cold, bluish tint.

Be aware that the Stylus Pro (and Microstream) tint varies from unit to unit so the buyer must play the "tint lottery."

Is it worth replacing your 25 lumen Stylus Pro with the new 48 lumen version? Yes, if your primary use for the light is to view objects more than about 6 feet away.

The manufacture date is printed inside the battery tube and my light was built in March 2011.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info.

Are the outward dimensions of the lights the same? Diameter? Length? Etc?

Yes the dimensions are the same, though the rubber boot on the old version Stylus Pro is slightly taller than the boot on the new version.

SAIGA-Genesis

Newly Enlightened
Nice. I actually came across this thread through a google search on the topic. When I ordered the product (from Amazon), it said that it was 24 lumens in the product description. However, today, when I received the product, the packaging said that it was 2x brighter and said that it outputs 48 lumens. I was wondering what the deal was and now I'm pleasantly surprised. I ordered a 24 lumens flashlight and got a 48 lumens flashlight instead for the same price. :nana:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. I actually came across this thread through a google search on the topic.

:welcome: Welcome aboard, SAIGA-Genesis. Glad you found us.

The new, brighter Stylus Pro is a winner for me. I have several 2xAAA pen lights and the Stylus Pro narrow form factor fits my pockets better than the other lights. The 48 lumen output is bright enough so I can rely on it for EDC use.

T45

Enlightened
:welcome: Welcome aboard, SAIGA-Genesis. Glad you found us.

The new, brighter Stylus Pro is a winner for me. I have several 2xAAA pen lights and the Stylus Pro narrow form factor fits my pockets better than the other lights. The 48 lumen output is bright enough so I can rely on it for EDC use.

Parnass....has the momentary on characteristics changed at all? The Stylus Pro is one of the few AAA class lights that has a forward -clickie/ momentary-on capability.

bnemmie

Enlightened
I still use my old original Stylus in red when I'm plotting on charts at night. I've always appreciated how thin it is. Even though the AAAA's are a pain to find. The main reason I haven't upgraded to a Stylus Pro is I know they are thicker then the originals. Even if it is just a little bit. The original fits in my pen pocket (and my mouth ) perfectly.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Parnass....has the momentary on characteristics changed at all? The Stylus Pro is one of the few AAA class lights that has a forward -clickie/ momentary-on capability.

The 48 lumen Stylus Pro keeps the forward clicky tail switch and provides momentary on operation. However, the switch on the new version has less travel and requires a little more pressure. I suspect that is due to the rubber cover ("boot") which is shorter than the cover on the 24 lumen version.

SlickSlabMcKnab

Newly Enlightened
I'm sort of new to the site, long time flashlight admirer, and have gone on a mini light binge recently, but one of them was this light from lapolicegear. On their site they list it as the 24 lumen model, which is what i thought I was getting. So I get it in the mail today and think, wow, that's a bright 24 lumens. Then I hop on CPF and see this thread, and I think, hmmmmm....I wonder. So I check the package I ripped open, without even looking at the packaging, and right there it says 48 lumens. XD Woops. Sweet surprise though, and it does say 48 in the chart photo they have posted.

I got the blue one, it's a little bit lighter than the photo on the site leads it to be, but still nice. Photos follow, hope they assist someone. BTW, the lanyard is the one from the Fenix LD10 I just ordered from them also, I put it on the clip and it fits well, nice and snug. It doesn't slide down easily and when it reaches the part that contacts the barrel it requires a bit of force to get it out. So for now, it feels safe to have on there for casual use.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: Congratulations on snagging a blue 48 lumen Stylus Pro, SlickSlabMcKnab. Good to see that the brighter version is now available in more colors.

I don't like to carry a lot of gear or a large flashlight in hot, tee shirt weather and the brighter Stylus Pro has been serving shirt pocket EDC duty admirably.

BTW, the 48 lumen Stylus Pro weighs less, throws a beam farther, and draws 10% less current than the new 30 lumen Icon Solo I bought tonight. (The new Solo is no slouch.)

Last edited:

SAIGA-Genesis

Newly Enlightened
I'm sort of new to the site, long time flashlight admirer, and have gone on a mini light binge recently, but one of them was this light from lapolicegear. On their site they list it as the 24 lumen model, which is what i thought I was getting. So I get it in the mail today and think, wow, that's a bright 24 lumens. Then I hop on CPF and see this thread, and I think, hmmmmm....I wonder. So I check the package I ripped open, without even looking at the packaging, and right there it says 48 lumens. XD Woops. Sweet surprise though, and it does say 48 in the chart photo they have posted.

I got the blue one, it's a little bit lighter than the photo on the site leads it to be, but still nice. Photos follow, hope they assist someone. BTW, the lanyard is the one from the Fenix LD10 I just ordered from them also, I put it on the clip and it fits well, nice and snug. It doesn't slide down easily and when it reaches the part that contacts the barrel it requires a bit of force to get it out. So for now, it feels safe to have on there for casual use.

Ha! I saw that on LAPG gear as well, after I purchased it on Amazon. I was looking at something else and figured I'd take a look at their light collection as well (I'm on a mini-binge as well :|). I was a little disappointed to see that it was cheaper there than on Amazon, but I made myself feel better by assuming that they were still offering the 24 lumen model that they listed. Thanks for making me feel worse! :shakehead It probably would've been more with shipping, though, but I always try to stock up on other items that I want to make the most of shipping on other websites.

Parnass, thanks for the welcome. I, too, am an Illinoisan. :wave: I'd put it in my profile, but the flascists won't let me as I'm still under three posts.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to have a 48 Lumen Microstream, I'd pass them out to friends.

SlickSlabMcKnab

Newly Enlightened
Ha! I saw that on LAPG gear as well, after I purchased it on Amazon....

I was ordering some other things as well on lapg so I figured, why not and snagged it up with the free shipping. Everybody else has black so I opted for blue, and well, all the other colors were backordered except this one. lol. But in the photos below their description they have the little SL chart that shows 48, which I never even noticed.