Heard of Soshine SC-S1 Mix Battery Charger?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody heard of this Soshine SC-S1 Mix Battery Charger?

http://www.soshine.com.cn/html/Products293.htm
https://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/product/325/soshine-sc-s1-mix-battery-charger
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/soshin...harger-18650-17670-14500-10440-and-more-12162

It looks nice enough.
It can recharge up to 2x18650 and 2x16340 at once.
It is supposed to be intelligent.
It claims to be fast charger: one 16340 in 1.4 hours, and one 18650 in 2.2 hours.

Does anyone know if it is any good, esp compared to Pila IBC chargers???
Or should I stick with the Pilas that need messy "spacers" to charge 16340's?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Cistallus, for the link to such an excellent review on chargers!!
I was looking for a good review on chargers, but I probably didn't use the best keywords for the search...

rick45acp

Newly Enlightened
Without this great forum many of us would make mistakes and/or keep making mistakes.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I researched that charger a few years back (actually there are three of them that are slightly different). It does have some flaws, if nothing else as I remember, it is really a one channel charger with the four bays in parallel with each other..

This really wouldn't be all that much of a problem with Li-Ion cells, except for smaller cells like 10440's, or 14250's for example. If you charged two, or three of these cells at the same time, everything would be OK, but if you attempted to charge just one, or possibly even two cells, the charge rate would be way too high.

As I remember it trickle charges cells also, which is very bad for Li-Ion cells. The specs say it doesn't, but it does, I'm pretty sure. So much for ShoeShine's specs.:) As I remember, back then anyway, the charge rates etc. printed on the blister pack were all screwed up as well. They may have changed that by now, not sure.

That series of chargers seem to just be simple, cheap, Chinese chargers, like most of the rest of them, and just happen to cost a lot more than their competitors. That's the way I see it anyway.

Dave

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your tips Dave. That helps to finalise my decision on which charger to buy...

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually had one. It was very slow to charge and the batteries got hot. When I started reading bad things about it, I threw it out. I suggest you buy a couple of Pila chargers. Pila seems to do all the right things. It's not slow, the batteries stay at room temperature, and people who know such things speak of correct charging algorthms. I like mine.

Rhapsun

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Soshine SC-S1 charger before I found these forums. I charged up a couple of 18650 batteries (Soshine protected 2800) and it ran just fine. The batteries stayed at room temp throughout the charging process. I kept an eye on the charge while it was charging as some member recommended. The voltages coming out of the charger were fine. 4.18 and 4.19 for the batteries. I'll see how the charger does in the long run and repost any new information.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today, you can get a charger with the following features for less than $20, why would you want to bother with anything else?

Features;
Microprocessor controlled
Automatic charging current limit
Capacity limit
Temperature threshold
Delta-peak sensitivity (NiMH/NiCd)
Individual cell balancing
Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe capable
Ni-Cd and NiMH capable
Large range of charge currents
Store function, allows safe storage current
Time limit function
Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field)
Data storage

Spec.
Input Voltage: 11~18v
Circuit power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W
Charge Current Range: .1~6.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~15
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~6
Pb battery voltage: 2~20v

iron potato

Enlightened
I just bought a Soshine SC-S1 charger before I found these forums. I charged up a couple of 18650 batteries (Soshine protected 2800) and it ran just fine. The batteries stayed at room temp throughout the charging process. I kept an eye on the charge while it was charging as some member recommended. The voltages coming out of the charger were fine. 4.18 and 4.19 for the batteries. I'll see how the charger does in the long run and repost any new information.

Been using Soshine SC S1 mix II model for couple of months, charging process wise, also as same as Rhapsun said, around or little above room temperature, the battery voltage coming out after the Green led solid on, were around 4.18v to 4.19v, but this leads to my question, does it fully charged or about full ?

Compare with UltraFire WF-139, when I measure the battery voltage after the Green led solid on, the battery were 4.21v to 4.22v & warm to the touch, which one is better ? Or maybe should I switch to hobby charger ? But then again, many says the balance charge have some issues here & there....

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compare with UltraFire WF-139, when I measure the battery voltage after the Green led solid on, the battery were 4.21v to 4.22v & warm to the touch, which one is better ?

Hi iron. There is no specification for LiCo, or LiMn Li-Ion cells that states that "cells should be charged to 4.20 Volts". 4.20 Volts is the "maximum" allowable open circuit voltage that most of these cells should obtain. Actually, the figure is 4.20 Volts +/- 0.05 Volt. This also really only applies to new cells, and most of the cells we obtain are not new, the shrink wrap may be "new", but the cells usually are not. Keep in mind that Li-Ion cells begin to degrade the day they are manufactured, regardless of whether they are in use, or not.

When using a proper Li-Ion charger that utilizes an actual 4.20 Volt CV stage during the charging process, rarely will a fully charged cell voltage of 4.20 Volts be obtained, even if the cell is new. Also, older, or used cells, will obtain a lower fully charged voltage than newer cells.

Many on the Forum do not realize this. Some have even gone to the extreme of modifying inexpensive chargers that do not use a proper charging algorithm so that they will charge cells to 4.20 Volts. The only thing this accomplishes is, it further screws up the charger, and additionally, shortens cell life. This modification may also reduce the safety level of these chargers, which is already questionable, to begin with.

Or maybe should I switch to hobby charger ? But then again, many says the balance charge have some issues here & there....
I am not aware of many balancing problems when using a hobby charger, provided a proper balancing harness is used and it is properly connected. Also note that when charging "loose" Li-Ion cells in series, generally, the use of balancing is a requirement, not an option.

Dave

Last edited:

iron potato

Enlightened
Due to the fact that been reading some unlucky cases of Li-ion gone :poof:, so I was skeptical about the charging process, I used to play R/C in the early 90's, at that time was only Ni-Cd, which is quite robust & easy to take care, but I stopped near Y2K.

So right now I need to pick up & gather more information again, luckily I joined here, with so many inputs to absorb :thumbsup:

From what you told me about the voltage threshold range, think I shouldn't be so picky, maybe I can still go back to my WF139 then :rolleyes: I should be picky about the battery brand, not charger I guess, I'll surely pick up some AW by end of year.

Thanks again Dave

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what you told me about the voltage threshold range, think I shouldn't be so picky, maybe I can still go back to my WF139 then :rolleyes:,......

Well iron, that was not exactly my point, but yes, people are too concerned with the ending voltage of charged Li-Ion cells, regarding charging. My point was that the actual voltage of the cell is unimportant, for charging purposes.

Inexpensive chargers such as the UltraFire, XTAR, and others that utilize "voltage checking" during charging, do not properly charge Li-Ion cells. The only voltage that is important during charging, when the proper charging algorithm is used, is the charging circuit voltage (ie. not the OC voltage of the cell independent of the charging circuit), during the CV stage of the charge. A proper charger never checks the OC voltage of the cell, as it is not necessary to do so.

......I should be picky about the battery brand, not charger I guess......
Well, after using a dozen or so improper chargers over the years, I ended up with a hobby charger and, as of a few weeks ago, now two of them. If I had to do it all over again though, I initially would have bought a Pila IBC and saved a lot of money. And, as for cells, having used both inexpensive and quality cells for a little over 6 years now, I am buying fewer and fewer of the inexpensive cells, as I believe they actually end up costing the same, or more, in the long run. Add to this, their generally poorer and inconsistent performance from the start, and it becomes obvious which is the more practical choice.

As is common advise here on CPF, when it comes to good quality Li-Ion cells and chargers, "buy both" would be my advise. Down the road a bit, you will not regret doing so.:)

Dave

iron potato

Enlightened
.....when it comes to good quality Li-Ion cells and chargers, "buy both" would be my advise....

I like you put it as "buy both" :laughing: I think I more understand now, I'm glad to have a veteran to guide me on this battery vs charger scenario ;)

Thanks again Dave ~