Eneloops....

prof student

Enlightened
Well, I finally bought some Eneloops at my local Costco. These were the ones that have 4 AAa dark blue, 4 AAs light blue 2 AAAs dark green, 2 AAAs light green, with a 4 cell charger.

Question #1:
Is there any kind of maintanance that I need to do? Use the first? Charge them first? etc.....

Question #2:
NONE of the dark blue ones work right off the bat. I thought maybe it was my light. I had some alkalines explode/leak in my brand new Fenix TK20. I though maybe some of the vinegar got into the tail cap. But nope. I put some alkalines in there and it lit up perfectly fine. It is my understanding that they should work right out of the package. The light blue ones work. Is this normal? Should I just exchange them for another set? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.

DasFriek

Newly Enlightened
With all those good rechargeable cells i hope you have a good charger to keep them in top notch condition instead of them slowly dieing while be charged on crap chargers.
Its a medium investment, But the ones below should keep all those cells working like new for a long time.
Conditioning by discharge and recharge is a thing most chargers cant do which a NiMH cell needs.
New Eneloops even need cycled a few times when first purchased to get them to their max capacity of 2000 mAH.
La Crosse Technology BC-9009
Maha Powerex Wizard One MH-C9000
La Crosse Technology BC-700

I just picked up a couple packs of rebranded Eneloops/ Duraloops in AA and AAA and none were at max capacity or voltage and all were different in what state they came in.

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
I bought the same setup of eneloops about a month ago through an internet site. They were charged right out of the package. Great batteries.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Eneloops should be charged and working when received, unless perhaps they're more than 3 years old. From the colours you describe, it seems yours are pretty new, so they may be defective. Since it's Costco, I would certainly take them right back and get another set. Costco is of course particularly good that way.

Last edited:

louieg

Newly Enlightened
Strange how Sanyo bundled odd numbers of AAA's for Costco. I needed more and purchased 12 (3 pk of 4 on cardboard hanger pack) from Costco.com. Received them in 2 days, precharged.

Wrend

Enlightened
Which can be a pain if you have something that uses an odd number of cells.

Good thing most of my chargers don't only charge in pairs. :)

But, with Eneloops, I have enough charged ones on the "shelf" to swap out with depleted ones whenever I need them, so I never have to wait for them to be done charging. They're always in rotation and ready to use.

Last edited:

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
I think that was a typo. I just bought a pack last night from Costco and its 10 AA and only 4AAA