ArmyTek
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Mako 1xAAA: the most important flashlight i've ever owned

Default Re: Mako 1xAAA: the most important flashlight i've ever owned

some of my mako pixs:

Last edited by coyote; 08-15-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Coyote- Sweet pocket carry setup! Where did you get it, if I may ask?

Coyote. Nice William Henry there too! Some of my favorite knives!
    Jeff

Awesome setup!

So there will be more of these, or he's happy with the original 13?

thanks guys, for the nice comments.

and yes, my fingers are crossed too. from my past conversations with Enrique, he's a very busy guy and just hasn't had the time to get on this. hopefully he'll eventually be able to produce another run of Mako Floods, but until then, we'll have to keep checking in here and posting our desires so he knows we haven't forgotten...

scout24: to answer your query, i made that kit up. in fact, i started a thread about my various pocket kits HERE over at EDCF, if you're interested in reading more about them and how they're made. enjoy...

I am in for one and know of one other who would be in for another. C'mon Enrique.

Flashaholic*

Guys how about taking it to the marketplace from here on....

Nap.

lets not push the issue. best to leave that to Enrique to do if/when he decides to make a new run. he said to me in an email a few weeks ago:

"If people are enthusiastic and I've got the time, I'll look into seeing what it would take to do another run and post an interest thread for it."

Thanks for the link, coyote. Very cool thread, and lots of good ideas.

truly my pleasure scout24. glad i could help.

and i thank you once again for my mako flood, which started the whole thread
    Last edited by coyote; 08-16-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Flashaholic*

Hello Everyone,

Coyote has taken good initiative and kept this on my radar for the past couple of months, and I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and interest so far. I do not have enough time right now to dedicate full attention to a run of Makos, but there does seem to be sufficient interest to make it practical to do at some point in the near future, and I will look into it in further detail as soon as it's practical for me to do so.

In the meantime, if you have any questions or comments I'll check in here periodically, or, if you need to get in touch with me quicker, send me an e-mail at vcc@muyshondt.net.

Thanks folks.

Enrique

You guys have talked this little beauty up enough already! Count me in. I was actually taken by the first look of it,

What does anyone think the difference would be in throw performance between the 60 degree and the 15? I realize something this small wouldn't be intended as a great thrower, just wondering.

I've always wanted one of these beauties! Really like the form of AAA lights. Will be subscribed in hope.

Quote Originally Posted by tony22 View Post
    ...What does anyone think the difference would be in throw performance between the 60 degree and the 15? I realize something this small wouldn't be intended as a great thrower, just wondering.
    just for you tony22, i did a side-by-side last night.

here's how it appeared to me:

15 has a center spot and spill about the same diameter as the 60, so that beam angles are about the same. its just that most of the 15's is tightly focused.

the 15's center is 1/3 the total diameter of its spill.

on low: the 15's center seemed two or three times as bright as the 60's flood, while the 15's spill was much less bright than the 60.

the 15's center on low was about the same brightness as the 60 on high.

when hiking outside in starlight, i found myself getting spot-focused when using the 15. IMHO, like most flashlights it has a too-focused beam, forcing me to locate things in the center to see them.

OTOH, the 60 allows me to light everything in front of me without aiming. its easier on the eyes and allows me to notice things i missed when using the more focused beam.

so yes, the 15 has more throw (twice?), but for what its designed, the 60 was more useful.

ie: reading a map/book with the 15 held at nornal reading distance was too bright (even on low) and i found i moved the beam line-by-line, whereas the 60 is much easier to use and easier on the eyeballs, lighting the whole thing without having to direct the center.

hope that helped...

I really hope this idea will become a reality, sign me up for one.

Will the light have a neutral tint? I really like my quark aa2 tactical neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    just for you tony22, i did a side-by-side last night.

here's how it appeared to me:

15 has a center spot and spill about the same diameter as the 60, so that beam angles are about the same. its just that most of the 15's is tightly focused.

the 15's center is 1/3 the total diameter of its spill.

on low: the 15's center seemed two or three times as bright as the 60's flood, while the 15's spill was much less bright than the 60.

the 15's center on low was about the same brightness as the 60 on high.

when hiking outside in starlight, i found myself getting spot-focused when using the 15. IMHO, like most flashlights it has a too-focused beam, forcing me to locate things in the center to see them.

OTOH, the 60 allows me to light everything in front of me without aiming. its easier on the eyes and allows me to notice things i missed when using the more focused beam.

so yes, the 15 has more throw (twice?), but for what its designed, the 60 was more useful.

ie: reading a map/book with the 15 held at nornal reading distance was too bright (even on low) and i found i moved the beam line-by-line, whereas the 60 is much easier to use and easier on the eyeballs, lighting the whole thing without having to direct the center.

hope that helped...
    Thanks coyote. It helped quite a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    As I recall, Enrique originally offered these for well under $150.

The Mako has the smoothest threads I've ever seen on a Ti light and smoother than many of the aluminum threads I've seen on others as well.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that all 5mm LEDs are made equal, because they are not. The Cree 5mm LED with the 60º beam pattern is one of the best out there, with a completely even tint, no color shift, and the whitest cool-white 5mm I've ever seen.

Additionally, like all of Enrique's lights, the Mako is designed to be the ultimate in reliability and runtime: it'll run for 60 hours on a single alkaline AAA on low or 20 hours on high. The Mako offers us some simplicity and elegance in a world dominated by frustrating multi-mode lights.
    Reliability. Runtime. True one-handed operation.
    If the operation of the Mako twisty is as easy as the HA Aeon or Ti Nautilus with a "useful" hi/lo, well count ME in.
    Edit: Off topic comment deleted.
    Last edited by Lord Bear; 09-12-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bear View Post
    Reliability. Runtime. True one-handed operation.
    If the operation of the Mako twisty is as easy as the HA Aeon or Ti Nautilus with a "useful" hi/lo, well count ME in. (IMHO the best ever twisty is the HA Surefire T!A.)
    unlike many Ti lights, the Mako threads are quite smooth. easy one-hand operation, helped by the deep cuts in the head and bead-blasted texure.

Enrique uses a nice thick o-ring for waterproofing and to keep it from turning on its own. because of the o-ring, the Mako has slightly more twist resistance than say a Sappire. and is almost as smooth, IMHO.

Post deleted as not on topic. Discussion is about Mako AAA.

Bill
    Last edited by Bullzeyebill; 09-11-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: off topic post

I wish I hadn't found this thread! Enrique - make more! I want a couple - or at least one!

Bump! To keep hope alive!

unlike many Ti lights, the Mako threads are quite smooth. easy one-hand operation, helped by the deep cuts in the head and bead-blasted texure.

Enrique uses a nice thick o-ring for waterproofing and to keep it from turning on its own. because of the o-ring, the Mako has slightly more twist resistance than say a Sappire. and is almost as smooth, IMHO.
    I only have the Ti Nautilus and HA Aeon. No Sapphire to compare. But if my other Muyshondt's are anything to compare, I still really want the Mako.
    Last edited by Lord Bear; 09-16-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Long time ago I read about the ultimate, AAA battery, low lumen/long runtime, easy to operate twisty UI, simple and UTTERLY reliable flashlight. Hope it's a battery vampire to equal the Nautilus.
    I still to this day want one of those.

+1. The Mako threads are very smooth, and the matte finish makes a comfortable grip to operate. There is also adequate rotation distance between the low and the high, so you won't accidentally move to high.
    my lights.

How about a Mako with high-CRI emitter, like the Nichia 119?
    my lights.

That would be nifty! Why don't manufacturers use surface mount LEDs driven at super low currents for lights like this? Is it just due to price? We're already paying a premium for fancy lights, why not use the latest emitters for insane runtimes with better tints and beam patterns? Peak may be the only one I can think of off the top of my head who does this, I think. ??
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Any recent developments on this?
    EDC: MilkySpit 1000-lumen Tri-MC-E L5
    In the car:
    MillerMods Quad-Cree 2D Mag At home: Mettee Tri-P7
    Missing somewhere =( :
    MilkySpit MC-E 2-stage UltraFire C1 SS 123 Keychain Light

Thank you coyote for starting this thread. Up until now I only knew of this light as 'one of the many 1xAAA lights out there', so this was good information.

I have been EDC'ing my ARC-AAA (Limited Ed.) for the past ~year, and there are a number of things I like about it. I am now exceedingly familiar with the many strengths and the weaknesses of my ARC during use, could someone illuminate (oooo....) me on how a Mako 60 would be superior in most (all??) respects than the ARC-AAA that I am currently carrying? I am thinking along the lines of actual field usage and reliability considerations.

Thanks,

Edit: For example, while I very much enjoy using my ARC-AAA, the emitter is a bit outdated. My thinking is that it is a bit off on tint, there are a few beam artifacts, and its single level is a compromise between a good low and a useful 'high', etc etc. On the other hand, the ARC is simply wonderful to operate compared to, say, a Fenix LD01 for example. (And you ARC-AAA fans know that I've been one of the CPF'ers 'carrying the torch' for them in the 'ARC-AAA today' thread in the past ~year.) In what ways might an updated Mako 60 be superior during usage compared to the ARC?

Honestly, there are many choices for 1xAAA lights, but I haven't yet been convinced that any currently-available offerings are truly superior to my simple, minimalist ARC-AAA. An updated Mako 60 might be just that light.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 11-10-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

...I am now exceedingly familiar with the many strengths and the weaknesses of my ARC during use, could someone illuminate (oooo....) me on how a Mako 60 would be superior in most (all??) respects than the ARC-AAA that I am currently carrying? I am thinking along the lines of actual field usage and reliability considerations....
    Kestrel: good question. let's see if i can add any insights comparing the two.

like you, i've been a huge fan of the tradition Arc AAAs, having owned dozens and dozens from early versions thru the GS (i won't include the Ti version in this comparison), so am solidly familiar with them.

so besides where the mako obviously already shines, like extreme runtime, much better tint & lack of artifacts, two stage brightness, titanium construction, extremely smooth threads, no anodizing finish to wear off, shorter overall length, can tail stand, available trit slot in tail, maybe i'll just mention a few subtle differences where the mako 60 improves on the arc.

-mako doesn't crush batteries due to spring contact, unlike the arc's lead-bead positive-terminal hump

-nor is there any soft lead hump to get deformed if battery is tightened too much

-o-ring is always fully inside battery tube (due to inconsistent final positive-contact bead size of the head in the arc, a number of mine have allowed the o-ring to be partly exposed when placed in the off position)

-very tight-fitting o-ring for waterproofing, which doesn't impact twisting smoothness

-gold plated contact and spring, so no oxidizing of the positive contact that requires periodic cleaning in the arc

-lots of threading with lots of twisting before "on" occurs, so head can't fall off by accident

-fully regulated power supply for constant brightness (up to 80 hours in lithium, as previously mentioned)

-hardness of Ti threads hold up better to constant twisting wear than do unanodized aluminum threads (i've worn out a couple of arcs this way, so that the head could no longer stay screwed in)

-same super simple UI as the Arc, just twist a bit more for the slightly higher mode.

in fact, there aren't all that many things i really prefer about the arc's design:

-like how nicely the arc hangs on a necklace from its large-hole centered lug (but getting the mako to tail stand in exchange is often worth it)

-the arc is very slightly lighter in weight, ie: .36 oz without battery in my scale, verses the mako at .57 oz (although pretty much unnoticeable unless compared side by side)

-the arc's lovely "checkering" (but mako's head grooves are slightly easier to grip and turn one-handed when i'm cold/wet)

-and the arc's tapered head (on newer arc models) that allows it to slip into pockets more easily

hope that added something to this discussion.

questions?
    Last edited by coyote; 11-12-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmc View Post
    Any recent developments on this?
    thanks for the reminder mcmc.

it pushed me to just send an email to enrique, letting him know that this thread is still alive and well, and that's a number of folks would love a Mako Flood.