Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: Mako 1xAAA: the most important flashlight i've ever owned

Default Re: Mako 1xAAA: the most important flashlight i've ever owned

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    ... That pushed me over the edge.
    and about time too, i'd add.

Only a handful left I see. I'm glad I got in on this. I think this will be just a perfect little always-in-your-pocket, tough backup light. It'll be a nice one to pop in my pocket with my Gizmos for a lower low when I need it. I'm excited to see it in person.

Can anyone post a size comparison with something like an Arc AAA or E01?

Arc, Mako, Fenix E05, TinyI

You're the best. That looks great, it's really tiny! Easy to have all the time, every time.

Thanks coyote for the photo. It is a nicely a taken photo no doubt, but for people who does not own any of the other lights it really is hard to tell the actual size of the Mako. I am certain it is quite small, probably just slightly larger than an AAA battery, but somehow it looks big on photo. Not your fault actually, and I know you have tried your best. I guess the only way one could appreciate the smallness of this light is to really have it in your hands. Thanks again for sharing!
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Just a quick question. For those who have owned the Mako, do you really carry it on your keychain? I mean with the satin finish, wouldn't it be scratched by the keys? I know how to bring back the shine on a Ti light but I just don't know how to bring back the satin finish. Do you guys only carry it via the P7 suspension clip? Or do you just shelf queen it to maintain its finish? I hate queening my lights and would really want to see this in action.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

i'll go shoot another image with batteries.

meanwhile, here's one i carried on a keyring for a long time. while "scratched" up, i think it adds character to it. in fact, its almost like a stonewash finish:

Mako between AAA and AA batteries

With a few other items for reference, though nowhere the quality of Coyote's photo...

3" XM-18, the Leatherman Sideclip is an even 4 inches, beat to death EO1, Photon Freedom, a U.S. Quarter, a copule of McG's, Ti Titan, AA Eneloop, some 123's ...

Awesome macro shots, my Oregon friend!

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Awesome macro shots, my Oregon friend!
    thnx man. that's kind. really just a simple typing-paper and window-light set-up, using a standard lens. took all of one minute to set up and take.

fyi - that's your old Mako 60 between the batts. once again buddy - thanks so much for that one. it's what got me to start this thread to begin with. if the thread hadn't gotten so much positive feedback, i doubt this run would have happened. we owe it all to you, scout24!
    Last edited by coyote; 01-16-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Very glad it found a good home. Thank you for the tips!

You guys...you guys...I fought it and fought it, but finally gave in (like Kestrel) upon announcement of the 4500k tint. These photos are really making me feel great about the decision!

coyote and scout24,

Thank you guys for the photos. I now have an understanding what the size would be like. Can't wait to get it soon but Enrique says by end of March? Patience...

Oh coyote, the "stonewashed" version looks great! I guess I won't worry so much anymore about keychain carrying it. I might just sand it down later if the scratches get too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    You guys...you guys...I fought it and fought it, but finally gave in (like Kestrel) upon announcement of the 4500k tint. These photos are really making me feel great about the decision!
    When Enrique said that the initial batch was a 9000k tint, I sort of gave up the thought of ordering one. But the thought that it is a flood light and that there are two output levels finally got me caving in. I was just hoping that I will like what I receive and my gamble paid off when Enrique announced that it is going to be a 4500k tint. Am I glad I placed my reservation. Btw, you did good there with your reservation too.

in case anyone is still on the fence, your time may be up. below is what enrique posted this morning.
    here's that thread: Mako Flood Run - A Titanium, Two-Stage, AAA-Based Flashlight

Hello Everyone,

There are five lights left available. Just to be clear, if you're interested in making a reservation, your PayPal payment claims it - not any posts here or e-mails. I'll post a notice once all the lights are claimed, so you don't have to wait for confirmation on whether or not any of these last units are still available.

It looks like the boards should be done a little later this week, and I'll have more news on the machining status soon.

Thanks folks!

Enrique

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    and about time too, i'd add.
    Mako 1xAAA Flood: the most important spare cell carrier i've ever owned.

In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

funny you should mention that Kestrel, 'cause that how i used my spare makos. makos take up so little room that it seemed silly to carry spare batteries in any other carrier.

the difference between us is that you'd be doing it for that big old frankenlight.

coyote- Credit your persistence and the 14,000 plus views/ 200 responses your thread generated! Kestrel- Now that's funny...

jeez, i hadn't realized that. wow.

but don't give me any more credit than i actually deserve - my original intent wasn't exactly altruistic, it was to be able to buy more Mako 60s. i'm just happy it's turning out so well.

funny you should mention that Kestrel, 'cause that how i used my spare makos. makos take up so little room that it seemed silly to carry spare batteries in any other carrier.
    It actually makes a lot of sense. Currently I've been doing a fair number of cell changes with the two 1xAAA lights that I'm currently carrying. I greatly prefer using the one I pictured, and the other (a Preon 1) almost never gets used - and ends up donating its cell to keep the Fenix / Microstream running. A high-power AAA light can really run through the cells if I'm not paying much attention.

The Preon is getting sold off, and along with the three ARC-AAA's I sold off last month, I figured I could justify this light. Yeah, that's the ticket ...
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Flashaholic*

I should probably add here that when Coyote contacted me a few months ago about the Mako flood and asked me to do another run I was pretty skeptical. The original five that were made were liked by their owners (most notably carrot, prior), but I didn't expect there would be enough interest to justify making another batch. Clearly I was wrong, and it's thanks to the fact that coyote kept this on my radar regularly that I was able (convinced) to dedicate the time to making this happen. The moral of this story is don't issue a challenge to coyote when he really wants something!

I'm glad to have been able to have done work on another batch of lights and am looking forward to getting these out to you all in the weeks to come.

Enrique
    Last edited by Endeavour; 01-17-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: The bane of all that is text: Typos.

To be honest I am suprised that 75 $150 1xAAA lights sold out, right after Christmas to boot! Wow!

I cant wait for mine to arrive.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Enrique said: "...The moral of this story is don't issue a challenge coyote when he really wants something!..."
    hahahahahahaha. be honest, the real reason was you got tired of all my nagging, and doing a run was the only way to shut me up.
    Last edited by coyote; 01-17-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Enlightened

It's great that these are offered yet again, thanks Coyote!

Is there a drawback using a rechargeable AAA vs. a standard / lithium one?

Quote Originally Posted by C0mmand3rC0dy View Post

It's great that these are offered yet again, thanks Coyote!

Is there a drawback using a rechargeable AAA vs. a standard / lithium one?
    C0mmand3rC0dy: you're surely welcome, but no need to thank me, it's Enrique who's making them!

re: batts - i use all three without problem. and i haven't noticed any brightness difference. CPf run tests seem to show that alkalines gets around 60 hours on LOW, and lithiums about 80 hours.

main reason i don't use alkalines is the potential for leakage: batteries last soooo long that i'm not comfortable leaving an alkaline in a Mako that great a period of time, when only using it a few minutes at a time.

on the other hand, if one planned to run it continuously and then pull the battery, an alkaline would be just fine.

hahahahahahaha. be honest, the real reason was you got tired of all my nagging, and doing a run was the only way to shut me up.
    There might be another way as well, but I'd first have to find a funny hat to go with my sceptre.

Last edited by Kestrel; 01-17-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    To be honest I am suprised that 75 $150 1xAAA lights sold out, right after Christmas to boot! Wow!

I cant wait for mine to arrive.
    I think that enough of us have experience with Enrique's lights, and know how well designed and built they are that we would buy just about anything he put out there, just because it is surely worth having.

However, I also like seeing all the folks who are still interested in using rugged, small, no-nonsense, low level, floody beamed lights. In this age of fancy dancy UIs, thousands of lumens and pencil beams, I think the practicallity of lights like this get forgotten. In contrast, I am very excited to get this dim, floody, simple two level light in my pocket.

I missed it the first time around, but starting at this post in the Epic AAA Run-time test (low level only!) thread, the long runtime ability of the Makos were tested and discussed last October.

Mako Ti 1xAAA (by Muyshondt)
    ...with NiMH (800 mA): 44 hours
    ...with Alkaline: 63 hours
    ...with Lithium: 79 hours

I must say, after reading well over a thousand posts regarding the Mako, I'm more and more enthusiastic about this highly-capable light. From that 'long runtime 1xAAA' thread, the Mako blows the doors off of most of the 'low' runtimes from other 1xAAA lights, and even beats a fair number of them for runtime using its 'high' mode.

If someone was to go to the length of calculating 'lumen-hours' of the various 1xAAA lights, it sounds like the Mako would end up at the very top of the list.

The fact that the new version is going to be a true 'neutral' is just wonderful. I think I may even regret purchasing only one ...
    Last edited by Kestrel; 01-18-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

...I think I may even regret purchasing only one ...
    me too, me too.