Lux RC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanyo announces Eneloop Pro and Eneloop Plus cells

Default Sanyo announces Eneloop Pro and Eneloop Plus cells

Source

Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo
    The new “eneloop pro” battery has a 25% higher capacity than regular eneloop batteries, making it especially suitable for gadgets with high power consumption, such as digital cameras, strobe lights and flashlights etc. The new “eneloop plus” battery, with its overheat prevention function which suppresses overheating in case of improper use, is ideal for toys.
    Sanyo notes that "An equivalent model of the “eneloop pro” has been marketed in Europe as “XX (double X)”. I guess I was right about the naming scheme after all
    Last edited by Eismagier; 06-10-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Enlightened

Default Re: Sanyo announces Eneloop Pro and Eneloop Plus cells

Those Pro's look NICE!

My own storage test "proved" that after 4 months the Sanyo 2700 still has around 100mAh of capacity compared to the XX. 2100 (S2700) vs 2000 (XX).
    From the info provided by Panasonic/Sanyo we finally know what kind of remaining capacity we should expect after a year. 1250mAh for the 2700's after 1y is decent.

Black loopies!! Cool!

Flashaholic*

I guess that's only when new or low use. We need more tests to find how they actually withstands frequent use after several dozens of recharges. Will they be tough like the eneloops or fragile like most high capacity ones?

Eneloop Pro are basically the XX in Europe. Then there is also the red Harmolattice 2500mAh with the Eneloop technology. Wonder why the Eneloop 2500 have so many packaging type for different market while the Eneloop 2000 comes only in white as standard? I know they do come in colour and glitter series as well. That's more for collection!

Quote Originally Posted by flame2000 View Post
    Eneloop Pro are basically the XX in Europe. Then there is also the red Harmolattice 2500mAh with the Eneloop technology. Wonder why the Eneloop 2500 have so many packaging type for different market while the Eneloop 2000 comes only in white as standard? I know they do come in colour and glitter series as well. That's more for collection!
    The Harmolattice brand has been used in Asia for some time, so it's not terribly unusual that they released their 2400/2500 LSD cells branded as such. Then again, I thought "XX" was a pretty stupid name to begin with, which is why I said they'd eventually rebrand them as "Eneloop Pro" when they first came out. The Eneloop Lites first surfaced as Harmolattices too.

I wonder if they're going to phase out the regular Eneloops in favor of the Eneloop Plus eventually, considering that they're essentially the same with added protection. Or can anyone think of an application where you'd actually want the possibility of the cell overheating?

Quote Originally Posted by Eismagier View Post
    The Harmolattice brand has been used in Asia for some time, so it's not terribly unusual that they released their 2400/2500 LSD cells branded as such. Then again, I thought "XX" was a pretty stupid name to begin with, which is why I said they'd eventually rebrand them as "Eneloop Pro" when they first came out. The Eneloop Lites first surfaced as Harmolattices too.

I wonder if they're going to phase out the regular Eneloops in favor of the Eneloop Plus eventually, considering that they're essentially the same with added protection. Or can anyone think of an application where you'd actually want the possibility of the cell overheating?
    I haven't heard any case of regular Eneloop over heating. Perhaps in their lab test they do experience over-heating when inserted wrongly. That's why they stress on this "suppresses overheating in case of improper use, is ideal for toys".

I'm curious if the thermistor has any negative effects, such as current limitations or reduced durability. Otherwise it seems stupid to keeping producing the vanilla version.

I'll wait for you guys to test them all before I decide whether or not it's worth investing in them. Until then, I'll have to make do with the 1500s.

So, is there any advantage to the PRO??

Party Eneloop Pros and Eneloop Plus

Has anyone seen the new Eneloop Pros and Plus that was just announced yet?

Sounds like I need to get my hands on some!

http://panasonic.net/sanyo/news/2011/06/09-1.html

Default Re: Eneloop Pros and Eneloop Plus

You should have checked the Forum before posting, Qwerty. There has already been a thread started by Eismagier today about the Sanyo cells.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rick45acp View Post
    So, is there any advantage to the PRO??
    They're black...... oh yeah, and 2400mAh but supposedly still very LSDish, like the XX-series only cooler.

Flashaholic*

Hate the black, they look too much like my 14500's.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Last edited by beerwax; 07-04-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: grammer

Flashaholic*

Can we please have an XXX version that comes with appropriate trading cards in the package???

Nap.

Silver Moderator

If some of the comments in this thread seem a little off it is because I merged two threads discussing these cells.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Quote Originally Posted by Eismagier View Post
    I'm curious if the thermistor has any negative effects, such as current limitations or reduced durability. Otherwise it seems stupid to keeping producing the vanilla version.
    It will certainly limit the short-circuit current, but the question is to what will current be limited? Ten amps will be the practical upper limit of the cells, and five amps will be adequate for most of the uses a flashaholic will have.

was a ptc added?
    how much volume does it take up?how big a capacity hit from the space taken by it?
    and multple product names for the same thing is nothing new.rayovac hybrid,4.0,and platinum being the same cell.
    so maybe the sanyo marketing folks will introduce the xxx."made especially for personal entertainment devices"

i am always looking for old radios and tv sets.tube stuff.ham gear.i repair all the above.
    email me for more info. SPAMMERS WILL BE PUNISHED!

So Pro=XX and Plus=extra money for overheat protection?
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC25, RRT-0, Klarus NT20, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Preon 1, Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti, Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

Last edited by beerwax; 07-04-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Waiting for these to FINALLY be available in U.S.A.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Waiting for these to FINALLY be available in U.S.A.
    _
    This is America, Dagnamit! Why ain't these available here first! It must these Republi...cans.......or the Demo...crats or maybe those Tee...Partie...erz, or sumpin'.

Sexy looking wrappers. I picked up the Sanyo xx awhile ago. They're fine but certainly not worth the premium paid for that extra ~25% capacity. I also see no reason to get the Eneloop Plus if you already have a stockpile of regular/tones/glitter whatever loops. At least they're keeping the name Eneloop fresh in our minds.

Anybody else seeing this

and this

The original high-res photos are here: (you will need to zoom in)

Eneloop Pro
    Eneloop Pro with charger

Eneloop Plus
    Eneloop Plus with charger

Anybody else seeing this
    The two cells have the same + end?
    Last edited by Wrend; 06-13-2011 at 08:58 PM.

vent hole?

Quote Originally Posted by PapaLumen View Post
    vent hole?
    Yup, look like the eneloop signature vent holes are back.

Did Sanyo read the comment by Mr Happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Happy View Post
    My observation about this is that Sanyo has made a big marketing mistake. Wittingly, or unwittingly, Sanyo established a particular design in everyone's mind as a trademark of the Eneloop cell. When they then changed it, they confused everyone, as evidenced by the huge amount of discussion and number of questions generated. If Sanyo had been properly aware of this they would not have changed the design in the way that they did.

Look like Sanyo may have to update their FAQ again from this:

Why is there no vent holes on the top of an eneloop battery?
    The eneloop battery without vent holes is a design change for improvement (performance and appearance) by our factory in Japan. These newly configured batteries were changed from November 2010 shipping.
    To this:

Why is there vent holes on the top of an eneloop battery?
    The eneloop battery with vent holes is a design change for improvement (capacity and overheat protection) by our factory in Japan. These newly configured batteries were changed from July 2011 shipping.

Now that's funny, and a little suspicious.

Wonder if my older Eneloops have "overheat protection," unlike my newer crown ones... Does Plus translate into, "venting holes for explosion prevention," or something?

It sounds to me like Panasonic might be having Eneloop market growing pains.

Except for those in the know, most people over here (in the USA) have never even heard of Eneloops, let alone Eneloop varieties.

I've always been rather baffled how that could be, because they seemed to clearly offer such an advanced and attractive product.

Anyway, if you look at the surface textures on the + ends, they look practically identical. Kind of odd.
    Last edited by Wrend; 06-14-2011 at 02:46 AM.