Sanyo announces Eneloop Pro and Eneloop Plus cells

Eismagier

Newly Enlightened
Source

Sanyo said:
The new "eneloop pro" battery has a 25% higher capacity than regular eneloop batteries, making it especially suitable for gadgets with high power consumption, such as digital cameras, strobe lights and flashlights etc. The new "eneloop plus" battery, with its overheat prevention function which suppresses overheating in case of improper use, is ideal for toys.

Sanyo notes that "An equivalent model of the "eneloop pro" has been marketed in Europe as "XX (double X)". I guess I was right about the naming scheme after all :p

Last edited:

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
110609-01-01a.jpg
110609-01-01b.jpg

Those Pro's look NICE!

s0lar

Newly Enlightened
My own storage test "proved" that after 4 months the Sanyo 2700 still has around 100mAh of capacity compared to the XX. 2100 (S2700) vs 2000 (XX).
From the info provided by Panasonic/Sanyo we finally know what kind of remaining capacity we should expect after a year. 1250mAh for the 2700's after 1y is decent.

vali

Enlightened
I guess that's only when new or low use. We need more tests to find how they actually withstands frequent use after several dozens of recharges. Will they be tough like the eneloops or fragile like most high capacity ones?

flame2000

Enlightened
Eneloop Pro are basically the XX in Europe. Then there is also the red Harmolattice 2500mAh with the Eneloop technology. Wonder why the Eneloop 2500 have so many packaging type for different market while the Eneloop 2000 comes only in white as standard? I know they do come in colour and glitter series as well. That's more for collection!

Eismagier

Newly Enlightened
Eneloop Pro are basically the XX in Europe. Then there is also the red Harmolattice 2500mAh with the Eneloop technology. Wonder why the Eneloop 2500 have so many packaging type for different market while the Eneloop 2000 comes only in white as standard? I know they do come in colour and glitter series as well. That's more for collection!
The Harmolattice brand has been used in Asia for some time, so it's not terribly unusual that they released their 2400/2500 LSD cells branded as such. Then again, I thought "XX" was a pretty stupid name to begin with, which is why I said they'd eventually rebrand them as "Eneloop Pro" when they first came out. The Eneloop Lites first surfaced as Harmolattices too.

I wonder if they're going to phase out the regular Eneloops in favor of the Eneloop Plus eventually, considering that they're essentially the same with added protection. Or can anyone think of an application where you'd actually want the possibility of the cell overheating?

flame2000

Enlightened
The Harmolattice brand has been used in Asia for some time, so it's not terribly unusual that they released their 2400/2500 LSD cells branded as such. Then again, I thought "XX" was a pretty stupid name to begin with, which is why I said they'd eventually rebrand them as "Eneloop Pro" when they first came out. The Eneloop Lites first surfaced as Harmolattices too.

I wonder if they're going to phase out the regular Eneloops in favor of the Eneloop Plus eventually, considering that they're essentially the same with added protection. Or can anyone think of an application where you'd actually want the possibility of the cell overheating?

I haven't heard any case of regular Eneloop over heating. Perhaps in their lab test they do experience over-heating when inserted wrongly. That's why they stress on this "suppresses overheating in case of improper use, is ideal for toys". :)

Eismagier

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious if the thermistor has any negative effects, such as current limitations or reduced durability. Otherwise it seems stupid to keeping producing the vanilla version.

Wrend

Enlightened
I'll wait for you guys to test them all before I decide whether or not it's worth investing in them. Until then, I'll have to make do with the 1500s.

:thumbsup:

Napalm

Enlightened
Can we please have an XXX version that comes with appropriate trading cards in the package???

Nap. :crazy:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
If some of the comments in this thread seem a little off it is because I merged two threads discussing these cells.

Tom

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious if the thermistor has any negative effects, such as current limitations or reduced durability. Otherwise it seems stupid to keeping producing the vanilla version.

It will certainly limit the short-circuit current, but the question is to what will current be limited? Ten amps will be the practical upper limit of the cells, and five amps will be adequate for most of the uses a flashaholic will have.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
was a ptc added?
how much volume does it take up?how big a capacity hit from the space taken by it?
and multple product names for the same thing is nothing new.rayovac hybrid,4.0,and platinum being the same cell.
so maybe the sanyo marketing folks will introduce the xxx."made especially for personal entertainment devices"