The Missing 2AA Headlamps

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinion (worth what you paid for it) is that manufacturers are missing out on a market niche, not making more 2AA "up front" (ie, no battery pack behind) headlamps.

2AA could be giving us bright, long-lasting light comparable to what an 18650 can produce, but with common cells that are nearly idiotproof. Form factors would be slightly larger than 3AAA and very similar to 4AAA lights.

Some would argue that any 2AA up-front light is too heavy, but they could easily be made in the 4-5 oz range. The 2AA Pixa, one of the few 2AA LEDs that exists, is often referred to as "big" and "clunky" at 5.5 oz. The Petzl Micro incan was 5 oz. The PT Quest incan...don't know, seems to be out of production. Pretty sparse field, though.

What say you? Do you miss the almost nonexistent 2AA up-front headlamps? Or is it just me?

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I miss it, the Petzl Micro and PT Quest were my very first headlamps. With the effcienceis we are getting these days 1AA is the most viable option.

Spark, and Surefire have 2AA designs in the works.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there should be a few more just for the sake of variety. There's no need for every manufacturer to offer the same thing.

On the other hand 4 AAA and 2 AA offer the same power unless I'm missing something...6 wH. I'd rather put in two batteries with cold fingers than 3 or 4 AAA's. Given the battery sag of alkalines however I would imagine that 3 batteries is better than 2 in that regard.

The extra weigh might not bother some but it would bother others. It's true that headlamps were heavier in the past and they still were workable however that's not a great marketing slogan :) They were dimmer and used batteries faster in the past too. We do have lighter choices now :)

If one was well designed and as light as it could be I'd probably try one especially if it started on low :)

Ediblestarfish

Newly Enlightened
I don't miss them at all. The fully integrated 2 AA lights I had didn't work well with a single headband unless you have it on a helmet or hat to keep it from slipping, especially if you're jogging, or hoofing it down a rocky slope. Much worse if you needed to angle it down, and it stuck out further, increasing the leverage (and shakiness) so it would slide down easier. They also put more pressure on my forehead, which would start to get a bit sore after a couple nights of hiking and camping.

The ones with the battery pack behind my head, with the top strap that spread and balanced the weight I did not mind.

Also, with the latest LED advancements, I have plenty of run time and brightness at medium and low levels to go 2-3 nights of use on a single AA with my new Zebralight H51w.

I used to have to run a 4 AA incandescent to get as much light, with worse run times, so my ability to be satisfied with a single AA headlamp may just be my sole opinion.

vtunderground

Enlightened
I agree. My GPS takes two AA batteries, as does my camera. Most of my flashlights take even numbers of AA batteries. Why can't my headlamp?

(Dear Princeton Tec, If you make a 2xAA Eos, I will buy it. Probably several.)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Fenix said it was going to market one. Heck even has photos with an ETA but was never sold. Darn shame.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know offhand the weight of AA versus AAA?

2AA versus 3AAA?

I had a file with stats - dimensions, weights, etc. - for all the common cell types, but I seem to have misplaced it. I'm too lazy to search for all that info if someone here knows it offhand.

I'm thinking that 2 lithium AA cells don't weigh too much, maybe close to 3AAA alkalines or NiMH cells.

Chongker

Newly Enlightened
I think one of the variants of the Saint Minimus that Surefire is meant to come out with is a 2AA format. Still looked quite sleek, but I was less interested in that than the higher CRI Vision variant.

Genes

Newly Enlightened
This is exactly why I modded two old Ray O Vacs AAs with boost drivers and XMLs. My GPS, radio and headlamp all now use AAs.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Spark SD-5, a 2AA (and possibly 2x14500) all flood headlamp on the drawing board. Manufacturer says "output just like ST6-500CW." That would imply a high of 500lm for 1.4 hrs?! Of 150 lm for 8 hours?! Now THAT's what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I think 2AA would be great! I like the idea of longer runtimes! If it could use 14500's then that would cut the weight a bit. Maybe they could build one that when adjusted/tilted only the bezel/emmitter moved similar to a Lenser h7 to keep the added leverage down too?

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
No more 3xAAA

From a weight/size POV
AAA alkaline-11.5 grams (data.energizer.com) 34.5 grams + hardware to hold 3 cells
AA lithium-14.5 grams. 29 grams + hardware to hold 2 cells
It looks like AAx2 is the direction to go.

I wouldn't mind a design with a well secured, adjustable front light (no bouncing, etc.) with two remote cell storage locations. (on each side of the head)
It could be made 'ruggedized' with aluminum storage for the cells, or 'economical' with plastic/composite.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: No more 3xAAA

From a weight/size POV
AAA alkaline-11.5 grams (data.energizer.com)
AA lithium-14.5 grams.
34.5 grams + hardware to hold cells
29 grams + hardware to hold cells

I wouldn't mind a design with a well secured, adjustable front light (no bouncing, etc.) with two remote cell storage locations. (on each side of the head)
It could be made 'ruggedized' with aluminum storage for the cells, or 'economical' with plastic/composite.

It would be 31.5 using 3 AAA lithium batteries however. There is also a difference in size potentially making for a bulkier headlamp.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast

From a weight/size POV
AAA alkaline-11.5 grams (data.energizer.com)
AA lithium-14.5 grams.
34.5 grams + hardware to hold cells
29 grams + hardware to hold cells

Thanks, MichaelW.

That was the point I was trying to make, but wasn't certain about respective cell weights from memory. (I was too lazy to look up the weights.)

Increasing the battery capacity while saving a bit of weight would seem desirable to me.

Possible downsides:

1. Using 2AA may give up a little efficiency to a 3AAA setup by using a boost converter rather than a buck converter, but that loss could be minimized with a slightly more expensive converter.

2. Slightly bulkier cells could mean a bulkier headlamp, but this could be minimized with clever design. BD Storm uses 2AA but in pics it still looks like a fairly small headlamp.

Ent

Newly Enlightened

Hi

Agree fully that 2AA is a missed market. Taking rechargeables as a guide the MAH for four AAA is 4000 MAH while two AA is 5400 (Sanyo high power batteries) bit less of a contest with the Enveloop batteries but still better. Size probably much of muchness to four AAA as mentioned. Many ways to mount the batteries. BD Storm style in the unit or as with the Brunton L3 with low line battery packs (that uses four but one would do the trick or even lower line but with single AA compartments. As for output well the Jetbeam RRT0 V5 shows what can be done with one AA let along two. Two beams would be handy. One flood and one like the RTT0 V5 (yes in case it is not already obvious I love that torch!) Be good to have the ability to run both as one would light your feet and immediate area and one to do the distance. Both could run of common dimmer with ability to run one independently or both beams.

The issue I have been having is looking for headlamp that has AA for compatibilty with other electronics and both a good broad flood and spot along with common-sense dimmer feature. Excellent light control systems exist on the RTT0 V5 and Saint. I am rapidly accumulating yet another generation of headlamps looking for the perfect one. Last time it was Apex Extreme, Corona, Quad, EOS and Brunton L3 with the Corona winning out. This time it is the Saint (full system), Zebralight (AA and CR123A versions), and Black Diamond Storm plus a few torches. The buy and see is an extremely expensive selection process but it not until you use something that you understand what works for you. Wish I would have found this forum earlier.

I understand the high end companies such as Surefire zeroing in on CR123A for dealing with one battery chemistry but people outside USA will find such fuel very rare and expensive. AA gives access to all but L-ion chemistry plus the ability to travel without running foul of lithium and l-ion not been allowed to fly on passenger aircraft (one of the most mishandled stuff-ups in Australia ignoble occupation health and safety history) while alkaline and NiHM have as yet no restrictions (but give them time).

I can not but help notice that a lumen war has broken out but Saint have settled on 100 lumen as has the BD Storm with Storm winning on the tint. Be nice to have 200 lumen power but the beauty of 2AA is higher power can exist and helps bridge the gap with 18650 solutions. I get the feeling with high end power a lot of weight is been directed into heat sinks disguised as indestructible alloy bodies.

Anyway just my thoughts and hopes.

Cheers

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think 2xAA would be good for the general consumer market, but for flashaholics, I don't think they'd be that popular. Too heavy and bulky frankly. And with the kind of efficiencies that good headlamps have, like the H51w, and that most people don't use high for general use, 2xAA is simply overkill. If you want more output and run time, 18650 makes more sense.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I Want Overkill!

I hear ya, Bowzer, but...are you sure the enthusiasts wouldn't want the 2AA overkill? I would think the enthusiasts would go a little nutso over 2AA performance in an efficient light...this upcoming 2xAA Spark is being pre-advertised as "output just like ST6-500CW," which is an 18650 light. Regarding weight, I often will strap on two of my ZLs for more light, and it doesn't seem much of a compromise when I need "more longer" light. And frankly I like the idea of no Lithium Ion on my forehead.

I guess we can just wait and see what happens when both SF and Spark release their 2AA lights in the near future. If they wither on the vine, then 2AA was a bad idea. If they become the rage...well, if they become the rage HERE on CPF we can't conclude much of anything regarding their commercial success,I guess. There's a large gulf between your typical CPFer and your average consumer.

The big drawback I see to 2AA isn't so much the weight as the form factor and how you tilt the light up and down. Easy with 1xAA, but 2xAA is more challenging, with ratcheting mechanisms, or oversize cylinder for rotation (like the upcoming 2AA spark); basically all the same issues that the 3AAA and 4AAA lights have to deal with.

Last edited:

Ediblestarfish

Newly Enlightened
Re: But I Want Overkill!

Oversize, heavier headlamp units have been the bane of my outdoor experiences--they just don't work well on a single strap headlamp. Less bulk, less weight is always preferred, and a 2AA light needs to have convincing advantages to make it worth using for me.

I personally do not need more light outdoors with night adjusted vision using my Zebralight H51w on medium L1. It runs for about 10-12 hours at that rate, enough for 2 nights. But since I frequently turn it down even more to medium L2, I can get 3-4 nights out of just 1 battery. High is blindingly bright, and I only use it for emergencies when searching a wide area for something I dropped. A 2AA light doesn't offer much advantage in my usage pattern there.

But, a nice, long throw, wide oval shaped flood with a consistent beam might be nice. That can consume lumens like no tomorrow when you want it to reach out a decent distance. More for a high CRI, neutral white light. I can see a use for a 2AA light in that type of scenario. That's sort of like wearing a shaped-beam automotive road light on your head.