Malkoff

Thread: GPS for iPhone use data plan?

Flashaholic*

Question GPS for iPhone use data plan?

Hello,

I am planning to get Magellan Roadmate for my iphone. I want to know if I use the gps function (pre-loaded maps) on my iphone, does it charge me for using data? I don't have a data plan. I read on the web with mixed answers. I know you guys/gals are a smart bunch. I hope you can answer this for me. TIA

DG
    Last edited by dealgrabber2002; 06-11-2011 at 03:45 AM.

Default Re: GPS for iPhone use data plan?

You have to check the software. It depends on what type of iPhone you have. The only navigation app I know of that doesn't use data if your iPhone has built-in GPS (that is 3G and beyond, IIRC) is Tom-Tom for the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by dealgrabber2002 View Post
    Hello,

I am planning to get Magellan Roadmate for my iphone. I want to know if I use the gps function (pre-loaded maps) on my iphone, does it charge me for using data? I don't have a data plan. I read on the web with mixed answers. I know you guys/gals are a smart bunch. I hope you can answer this for me. TIA

DG
    Navigon works even if you don't have any cellular signal -- takes a little longer to get initial satellite lock without using cell towers to triangulate, but it works. It's expensive for an app ($59), but it has completely replaced my Garmin Nuvi 360.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by flashflood View Post
    Navigon works even if you don't have any cellular signal -- takes a little longer to get initial satellite lock without using cell towers to triangulate, but it works. It's expensive for an app ($59), but it has completely replaced my Garmin Nuvi 360.
    I have a iphone 3g using T-Mobile. I have roaming data turned off and I have no data plan. I tried using Navigon and it seems to work okay... did I get charged data?

edit: I read it takes a few kb to get a initial satellite lock, but after that it uses the map it was pre-loaded into the iphone. Is that true?
    Last edited by dealgrabber2002; 06-12-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dealgrabber2002 View Post
    I have a iphone 3g using T-Mobile. I have roaming data turned off and I have no data plan. I tried using Navigon and it seems to work okay... did I get charged data?

edit: I read it takes a few kb to get a initial satellite lock, but after that it uses the map it was pre-loaded into the iphone. Is that true?
    Not according to this: http://tech.kateva.org/2010/08/navig...my-review.html

I have successfully used Navigon in places where there is no cellular signal at all, like Death Valley.

Flashaholic*

Thanks. Really appreciate the info.

Banned

iPhones 3G and newer all have A-GPS support, so it will use data from time to time unless you can deactivate A-GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by daimleramg View Post
    iPhones 3G and newer all have A-GPS support, so it will use data from time to time unless you can deactivate A-GPS.
    A-GPS is just an accelerator for initial satellite lock. If the phone can triangulate from cell towers, it will; otherwise it will use 100% GPS and just take a little longer to initialize.

Don't forget that with iOS 4 you can disable the usage of cellular data in the Settings app, so if you need to be certain you are not using up data you can flip the switch.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf