HDS Systems
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Maglite XL200

Flashaholic

Default Re: Maglite XL200

It says more about the lack of character a person has to belittle someone else for thier own gains emotionally. I for 1, used to have maglites and they are good lights. There are really good lights out there though but im not in the mind of taking someone else's joy away of the light they have and own or currently have the budget for. I have 2 soon to be 3 kids and I don't have the extra cash lying around to buy as many flashlights as I would LOVE to have. But that's a labor of love and sacrafice for my wonderful little growing family. I do have an Olight M20X, and i do quite like it alot! I think I'm satisfied as a soldier and it fits my needs for what I use it for on my deployment=). But again, Maglites are good store available lights at a good budget point. And power to any of you that use them

I'm thinking of buying this light.
    The problem is back in Australia its quite expensive and wondering if its really worth the $40 AUD to send it from USA to Australia(its around $80 if I buy it local).

One I thing I would like to know is the Spot to flood turning thing.
    The other day I had my 170 Lumen Deal Extreme torch and while its very bright I could not light the the object around 20 metres away(65.6167979 feet).

So if I had the Maglite XL 200 could I change to spot and see the object or would it fail that at that?

Also are these fully made in USA made from USA parts?

Thanks.

For the XL-series, don't bother with spot to flood. Just leave it tightened all the way and it works well because of the larger XP-G die size. Take a look at the beamshot (click to enlarge):

Quote Originally Posted by Robin24k View Post
    For the XL-series, don't bother with spot to flood. Just leave it tightened all the way and it works well because of the larger XP-G die size. Take a look at the beamshot (click to enlarge):

So if I had the same problem I had above(object 20m away), could I light it up?

I don't think it'll be a problem.

Unenlightened

Seems to me maglite hasen't ever let me down. Sure they're not the best of the best but the best readily available to an everyday joe shmoe like me? Sure

I got my XL200.

Love it. Great torch.

XL200 Power save dimming?

I just recently bought an xl200 and noticing the runtime graphs that are posted here, it is supposed to dim to 50% after 12 minutes. To test this on mine i put in a fresh set of batteries. When i turned on the flashlight i turned a stopwatch on at the same time, and when 12 minutes came around it did not dim at all. I waited a few extra minutes and still nothing. I turned the flashlight off then immediately back on and there was no change in brightness. I understand the concept of percieved brightness and i recall in the Nite lite mode that if the brighness is set below 50% when you shake the light it will go to the minium of 50%. When it was at 50% i could def tell that it wasn't as bright is full power. Is mine defective or did they change the programming on them?

Thread Merged - Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 01-18-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Enlightened

Sigh Re: Maglite XL200

I have an XL100, and also have an issue with it's run time on Eneloop AAA batteries. They last too long.

As a member of this forum, I have been seduced into having numerous other brighter flashlights and they are my primary users. This leaves poor ol' XL100 set to dim as my nightstand light, with occasional other uses.
    So, I don't get to play with my passel of Eneloops and Maha C-9000 charger enough. Just them boring Li-ion cells baking in the WF-139 charger...

Misery loves company, so an XL200 is in my future. Maybe then I'll get more quality time with the Maha.
    Last edited by rontaki; 01-26-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Enlightened

My XL200 arrived yesterday. It has been fed three Eneloop AAA batteries, and I am pleased with its performance for a fairly low-priced, well-made light.
    It throws a pretty mean beam of light out there. In a real quick and dirty comparo with my T20C2 XM-L in my mildly lit 'hood, it does rather well. Its more like the younger brother than a weak sister to the T20C2.
    What really has me singing its praises is being able to just pick it up, click and hold it in a horizontal position (even at 45 degrees), and rotate the light to set brightness. E-Z!

Setting the other modes has proven to be a bit tricky for me, as I learn how to work the button properly for that. Still, a vast improvement over the XL100 interface. I know that many CPFers have absolutely no use for the fancy features, but these are not obtrusive. Keep in mind this is not a tactical light, rather a handy all-purpose illumination tool. I like having a continuously-variable strobe, and the Nite Lite feature is fun to play with. Watch folks' eyes get big when the flashlight reacts to a knock on the table.

So, yeah, this is not the most powerful light, uses 3xAAA batteries and lacks a stainless crenelated bezel. A long fall will probably kill it. But I have other lights for those situations, that cost multiple times what this did.

At under $40 if you shop around, the XL200 is a nice addition to the arsenal. I expect good, long service from this light.

Updated the runtime graph with a re-test of the XL200 using my new light meter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin24k View Post

I used the AAA's the came with the XL200 (exp. 2017-03) and got half an hour more than before (exp. 2013-03). I probably would've gotten even closer to the ANSI spec if I used a battery with exp. 2018...I think alkaline batteries are only good within a year of two of manufacturing...

Just one question, which glass lens (if any) would fit my XL200? Two wipes with the cotton cloth and plastic on got scratched...

Mini Maglite glass window will work, it's part # 108-617. Make sure you can get the reflector out without damaging it though...

Does anyone have any experience with removing the reflector? Other than that, thank you Robin for your advice and many helpful reviews!

I've only been able to remove it from my XL100, no luck with the XL50 or XL200, so it could really depend. If you're able to dislodge the tabs by pushing it side-to-side, you have a pretty good chance of getting it out. Just keep applying pressure on the window while tilting it back and forth, and it will slowly come out of the tabs have been dislodged.

Thumbs up Re: Maglite XL200

Just got one of these...LOVE the thing!
    It seems brighter than it should, honestly.
    UI is great...think I'll be carrying this often!
    Dimming is a little wonky...difficult to control...but that's a minor complaint.

JD

Someone needs to find a way to mod it so it doesn't need a battery carrier and have it run on Li-ions like an 18650 or an 18500

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by GForGeep View Post
    Someone needs to find a way to mod it so it doesn't need a battery carrier and have it run on Li-ions like an 18650 or an 18500
    I'd be afraid to leave a li-ion cell in it. I have a XL100 and it has enough parasitic drain to empty the AAA duraloops in a month or two of sitting on the shelf. I no longer store it with the tailcap screwed in at all.

I don't know that the XL200 has the same parasitic drain issue, but I bet it does.

--flatline

Does anyone know if the lower output modes of the XL200 use PWM or current regulation?
    Light Emitting Diode: A third less calories than a regular Emitting Diode.

It's PWM.

Thanks.

Flashaholic*

Does the XL200 have the same amount of parasitic draw as the XL100?

If I let my XL100 sit for a month or two, the eneloops are dead when I try to use it. Now I store it with the tail loose.

--flatline

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by MattE View Post
    Anybody able to find a clip for XL200 for pocket carry ?

Thanks
    Safariland makes a sweet light called the RLS (rapid light system). Its a decent 90 lumen led with two polymer attachments. One is a clip to your pistol rail and the other is a pocket clip. The pocket clip works with most cylindrical objects...i.e. other flashlight brands. Its a tight fit on the XL200 but thats what you want.

HTML Code:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/60146

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by EDC_amper View Post
    Safariland makes a sweet light called the RLS (rapid light system). Its a decent 90 lumen led with two polymer attachments. One is a clip to your pistol rail and the other is a pocket clip. The pocket clip works with most cylindrical objects...i.e. other flashlight brands. Its a tight fit on the XL200 but thats what you want.

HTML Code:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/60146
    Speaking of XL200 clips, anyone know about a cheap holster? cheers.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by rambo180 View Post
    Speaking of XL200 clips, anyone know about a cheap holster? cheers.
    Amazon had a cheap but perfectly adequate holster in the "people who bought this item also bought..." section of the XL200/XL100/XL50 pages so I picked it up. Works great.

--flatline

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    Amazon had a cheap but perfectly adequate holster in the "people who bought this item also bought..." section of the XL200/XL100/XL50 pages so I picked it up. Works great.

--flatline
    Thanks! thats a good starting point for me. Amazon strongly dislike posting to Australia, but I'll see how I go this time.
    Last edited by rambo180; 08-06-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by appliancejunk View Post
    Ordered A XL200 tonight.
    I had the XL100 for a week or two before returning it. Don't remember just what it was I did not like about it. I do remember that I liked the adjustable output.
    I have a XL50 that I used for many months as a work light and it now sits on my night stand.

I keep reading about the XL200 and it seems as if it would be the best of both the XL100 and XL50 in one light, so tonight I cracked and ordered one.

Can't wait to test it out.
    Wow, does time fly or what.

Just about a year ago I posted here that I purchased the XL200.
    Great flashlight and I carried it in my pocket all through the dark months of winter.

Then I put it away when I decided to carry a smaller 1xAA flashlight for the spring and summer.

Now fall is hear and it's getting dark early again. Got my XL200 back out and was surprised the batteries were not dead in it.
    The drain on the XL200 when it's off must be very small.

Anyway my pockets seem to be fuller then ever and I would like to find a holster for this light.

Has maglite come out with a official holster for the XL200 yet?

If so does anyone have a link or part number. Can't find anything on the maglite site.

thanks,
    Fenix: PD32 (G2) | PD22 (G2) | LD12 (G2) | E15 | MC11 | E11 | LD01 FourSevens: QPA (G2) | QTLC (G2) | MLR2 (G2)

After some more searching I see maglite did come out with a holster for the XL200, but already discontinued it, why?

Maglite XL Series Flashlight Belt Holster, Black, XLXXX-A3046, 108-000-858
    TEMPORARILY DISCONTINUED BY MAGLITE. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES.
    http://www.zbattery.com/Maglite-XL-S...ategory=110972
    Fenix: PD32 (G2) | PD22 (G2) | LD12 (G2) | E15 | MC11 | E11 | LD01 FourSevens: QPA (G2) | QTLC (G2) | MLR2 (G2)

The Maxpedition 4" flashlight sheath is a great holster for the XL series.

How good of a fit is the Maxpedition 4" flashlight sheath?

I was reading about the generic looking holster that shows up on amazon and ebay for the XL200 and some said the holster was about one inch taller then the XL200.

Could you post a photo of your XL200 in the Maxpedition 4" flashlight sheath so I could see it?

Thanks,