Vista-lite 'Red Zone Clone' Weekend Project

Savvas

Enlightened
This of course is not about building anything equivalent to the new Niteflux Redzone. However it is a little bit inspired by this very nice new light, hence the post title. Several years ago I purchased a small, non-flashing Zetex-based conversion board from BikeCurrent list member Jonathan Edelson. It provided my old Vistalite VL300 tail light with 6 Nichia superflux LEDs - 4 red and 2 orange - and turned it into the brightest rear light in my bike shed at the time. Inspired by my recent positive experience with the very bright but rather expensive RedZone I decided I'd have a go at rejigging another old Vistalite I had at the very bottom of my parts box.
As some may recall, the VL-300 has a strong 80mm X 55mm rectangular domed case and is powered by 2 X AA batteries. The original had a nice quality clicky switch with a yellow rubber boot over it. I retained all of this, removing only the internal 3-LED board and swapping around the battery contacts (which just push-fit onto plastic flanges). I used a bit of Veroboard, 6 red superflux leds from Topbright (supposedly 100ma, 50,000mcd) and a Lumidrive 500ma Micropuck from Cutter Electronics with all leads cut to 25mm. It's all held in place quite nicely with hot glue as I couldn't be bothered with using the existing screws and fasteners. Works well.

Here are the new internals. The Micropuck is just glued to the projecting non-drilled end of the board:
VLMod-1.jpg

And here's a comparison with the Visalite Edelson board (on the right):
VLMod-3.jpg

The Edelson board used 2 orange LEDs in the central position which may give it a slightly brighter or more noticeable cast, but there's probably no real difference - both are very bright. Results below:
VLMod-2.jpg

I have a bit of a 'waste not, want not' philosophy and am pleased I've been able to give the light a new lease on life. I have a couple more of these old VL-300s and will probably have a go at modding them as well, maybe with white superflux leds for the front (I have a clear front for one of the lights). These two will go on the back end of my new Big Dummy cargo bike as the Vitsalite handlebar brackets I have seem a perfect fit for the BD's rear pannier frames.

Sam

BrianMc

Enlightened
Be interesting to see against the Red Zone 4. Dpending on the angle the candela measure was using, looks like 90-250+ lumens range. The Red Zone would narrow that guessed output considerably.

The Scot in me likes reuse, too. Just keeping the plastic out of landfills is good!

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good work Sam! Jonathan would be proud.

Retro-fitting old lights is a habit of mine too. I stuck a Luxeon III into an old Vistalight headlight a few years back, and want to do a similar conversion to a Cateye Micro II headlight.

regards,
Steve K.

Savvas

Enlightened
Thanks Steve,

Just a thought - these Vistalite cases would make excellent enclosures for multiple LED dynamo tail lights as well - especially the clear ones if you can find them.

Sam.

jbrennan8

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys--where could I get a new board for the VL 300. I really like the screw on mount for a bike rack, so what to salvage this light that stopped working. Thanks

J

Savvas

Enlightened
Hi guys--where could I get a new board for the VL 300. I really like the screw on mount for a bike rack, so what to salvage this light that stopped working. Thanks

J

Hi J,
I don't think you're likely to find a replacement board these days unless you manage to cannibalise another Vistalight, maybe one with a broken case. You could also rob a board from a flimsy light from DealsExtreme - they sell one about the same size as a VL-300!
Actually, I still have the old board I took out of mine somewhere. You can have that (if I can find it) for the cost of postage! Otherwise just make one as I did. It was dead simple, cost about $15 all-up, took about 2 hours and is likely 2 or 3 times brighter than the original.
Sam.

Hu$tLe HaRd

Newly Enlightened
This of course is not about building anything equivalent to the new Niteflux Redzone. However it is a little bit inspired by this very nice new light, hence the post title. Several years ago I purchased a small, non-flashing Zetex-based conversion board from BikeCurrent list member Jonathan Edelson. It provided my old Vistalite VL300 tail light with 6 Nichia superflux LEDs - 4 red and 2 orange - and turned it into the brightest rear light in my bike shed at the time. Inspired by my recent positive experience with the very bright but rather expensive RedZone I decided I'd have a go at rejigging another old Vistalite I had at the very bottom of my parts box.
As some may recall, the VL-300 has a strong 80mm X 55mm rectangular domed case and is powered by 2 X AA batteries. The original had a nice quality clicky switch with a yellow rubber boot over it. I retained all of this, removing only the internal 3-LED board and swapping around the battery contacts (which just push-fit onto plastic flanges). I used a bit of Veroboard, 6 red superflux leds from Topbright (supposedly 100ma, 50,000mcd) and a Lumidrive 500ma Micropuck from Cutter Electronics with all leads cut to 25mm. It's all held in place quite nicely with hot glue as I couldn't be bothered with using the existing screws and fasteners. Works well.

Here are the new internals. The Micropuck is just glued to the projecting non-drilled end of the board:
VLMod-1.jpg

And here's a comparison with the Visalite Edelson board (on the right):
VLMod-3.jpg

The Edelson board used 2 orange LEDs in the central position which may give it a slightly brighter or more noticeable cast, but there's probably no real difference - both are very bright. Results below:
VLMod-2.jpg

I have a bit of a 'waste not, want not' philosophy and am pleased I've been able to give the light a new lease on life. I have a couple more of these old VL-300s and will probably have a go at modding them as well, maybe with white superflux leds for the front (I have a clear front for one of the lights). These two will go on the back end of my new Big Dummy cargo bike as the Vitsalite handlebar brackets I have seem a perfect fit for the BD's rear pannier frames.

Sam

I know this is an old forum, but how did you wire the lights? In parallel, series, or series parallel (3 x 3)?

Savvas

Enlightened
....how did you wire the lights? In parallel, series, or series parallel (3 x 3)?

I wired the 6 LEDs in series. Looking back I think that was a mistake, The Topbright website says that they need a min 2V to fire (max 2.4V) and will handle 100ma. The Boostpuck will deliver 500ma at 8V (3V input). I think at the time that I was concerned about over-volting the leds, hence the 6 in series.

So what current am I putting through each LED in this configuration? Is it 500ma (roughly) divided by 6?

Would I get a brighter result from running 5 leds in parallel?

Would a configuration of 5 parallel strings of 4 leds each make the most effective use of the current and voltage available from the boostpuck? (not that this would fit in the Vistalite housing...)

Sam.

Hu$tLe HaRd

Newly Enlightened
I wired the 6 LEDs in series. Looking back I think that was a mistake, The Topbright website says that they need a min 2V to fire (max 2.4V) and will handle 100ma. The Boostpuck will deliver 500ma at 8V (3V input). I think at the time that I was concerned about over-volting the leds, hence the 6 in series.

So what current am I putting through each LED in this configuration? Is it 500ma (roughly) divided by 6?

Would I get a brighter result from running 5 leds in parallel?

Would a configuration of 5 parallel strings of 4 leds each make the most effective use of the current and voltage available from the boostpuck? (not that this would fit in the Vistalite housing...)

Sam.

I used to own one of these lights years ago. I bought a custom built one by the edleson guy or w/e his name was. If I remember correctly it was 6 blue super flux leds wired in a 3x3 series parallel configuration using his own custom version of the LM2621 eval board sold by national semiconductor. The reason for the custom board was so it would fit in the vistalite and boost the 3v provided by the aa batteries to about 5v or more for maximum brightness. When my bike go stolen by a crack head, I was more mad about the light being stolen, than the bike. Lol. Even more after I found I couldn't find the guy who made the light, or the light it self.

Even though its an old light, its one of those lights u just gotta love. It could have really been built better. Anyways, for the longest I was looking online and couldn't find one until I finally seen one pop up on eBay and bought it. And just recently found two more clear nebula's which I plan to mod. I wasn't sure if the way I modded my first one was as efficent as it could get. I basically put 6 super flux leds in parallel with the boost puck (heard about the boost puck on here). I saw no real difference in lighting with or w/o the puck. So am I to assume the boost puck is only to boost the current & not produce a brighter output?

Anyways, I was able to rebuild the light myself & got everything to fit inside of the vista lite. Originally my plan was to fit 2 or 3 P7 led's in to the housing, but I'm still working on it. Here is pix of of what I have so far...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/BlackCaScorpio/723d26f3.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/BlackCaScorpio/ea816b6a.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/BlackCaScorpio/f2402985.jpg
[http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/BlackCaScorpio/d9af43bc.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/BlackCaScorpio/2b07f9e1.jpg

This is my P7 build that isn't finished yet. I removed the heat sinks from the P7 leds and affixed them to a piece of copper that will work as a heat sink. Waiting on my new piece of down sized copper that will fit better into the VL housing. These leds are way brighter than the 6 super flux & work fine with the 2 AA batteries, but I would like to find something small enough to boost the voltage to their 3.6-3.7 max.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/BlackCaScorpio/5e809d6a.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/BlackCaScorpio/d2cf7789.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/BlackCaScorpio/34fcc64c.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/BlackCaScorpio/0a4f92d2.jpg

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Savvas

Enlightened
I know this is an old forum, but how did you wire the lights? In parallel, series, or series parallel (3 x 3)?

Apologies for the very belated response. Wired in series I believe - see discussion a few posts up indicating that I probably should have put them in parallel. I'm sorry - I can't recall my rationale for using a series string at the time and I'd have to sit down and apply my ageing brain to a page of numbers to try to work out why I did it this way...

To the 'P7' guy (if he's still with us), the little boost puck just provides a higher voltage from the nominal 3V (or 2.4 if using 2xNiMH) so that the string of LEDs will fire up. I think that if you have a few of the old vista lights this project has great potential - it's just a matter of thinking through what will work best. Unlike 'P7', I went with the standard, non-power 5mm LEDs so I would't have to worry about a heat sink.

O'corse the next logical evolutionary step would be to use one of these nice old housings to build a really, really bright dynamo-powered tail light!

Savvas.

Savvas.

Last edited: