HDS Systems
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Surefire UB3T arrived! **Pictures, Q&A, BEAMSHOTS!!**

Default Re: Surefire UB3T arrived! **Pictures, Q&A, BEAMSHOTS!!**

So I leave for an safari in Africa now.
    :-)

With these two impressionen I want to say: See you...

Thanks for the help and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FM View Post
    So I leave for an safari in Africa now.

With these two impressionen I want to say: See you...

Thanks for the help and support.
    I guess we have to wait until after your trip to Africa to hear your answer to my question to you:

Dr. FM, according to your test, is the output of the UB3T after:
    - 15 minutes 800 lumen,
    - 30 minutes 800 lumen
    - 45 minutes 800 lumen?
    And only after 60 minutes on max you start measuring a decrease in output?

It would have been nice if you had answered this question prior to your trip.
    Not that difficult to answer since you have done the test already.
    Now you have left us here thinking your test is rather questionable.

Again, your English is ok, but you may have to improve your reading skills.

Have a nice trip in Africa
    Last edited by iapyx; 08-16-2011 at 03:55 AM.
    Last edited by DM51; 25 years ago at 11:54 PM. Reason: because I can
    Post your UB3T serial# here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...try&highlight=

Donīt get your hopes high iapyx. I donīt think weīll get a satisfying answer from Dr. FM.

In the thread I linked above (unfortunately some post are already deleted) he mentioned he is writing an article/review to be published in german and international journals. He (Dr.FM = FBM) posted a picture of the light that appears to be an altered product photo from Surefire. Of course he didnīt say it was his image but the nature of his post (and one of the now deleted posts) implied it. In both threads he just asked for information/reviews on the UB3T from Surefire and didnīt provide any real information on the light himself. I donīt want to bait on new members but to me he appears to be a journalist who rather likes to quote the internet instead of doing his own proper research. The Messerforum thread was closed in the meantime by the owner since it has no valuable information.

I could be wrong though. Actually I would like him to prove me wrong by providing a nice review of the light. But I donīt think itīs going to happen.

Eric

Eric, I know.
    It's rather annoying that someone pretends something and when asked about it doesn't answer.
    Well, let's move on. The UB3T is too great a light to fuzz about incomplete tests results.
    Anyone else enjoying his/her UB3T? Happy with it or disappointed?
    Post your UB3T serial# here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...try&highlight=

Super Moderator

If I had the $$, the UB3T would be one of the two lights I would snap up right now (the other would be the Polarion Abyss).

The UB3T is probably the most important light SF has produced in many years. With those features, it is right up there with the A2 in importance, IMO.
    Resistance is futile...

I absolutely love my UB3T! Great light and it looks beautiful too! Those who can afford should get one IMO.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    The UB3T is probably the most important light SF has produced in many years. With those features, it is right up there with the A2 in importance, IMO.
    I agree with you until (if) SureFire release the UBR / UAR.

That's cool!

TF

Eric
    Dont tell war-storys about me.

All
    Yes, I write articles.
    I had written it before, this is no secret.
    Here are some experts here and they have great ideas, witch I can use.
    And I can share this.

Sientific Tests
    With specials tools I can jugde the lumen.
    But im not 100% finish.
    But I can say, the surefire facts are correct.

Pratica Test
    a.)
    For more than 4 days now I hade the Invictus running on 2 Lumen.
    In my guest-toilete.
    For more than 80 hours now.
    And it runs...

b.)
    I think, I can only think, that the Invictus has the power to run over 1 hour with 800 Lumen.
    I will test it exactly with special equipment in the future.

Africa
    Lets go.

It runs...

Super Moderator

Africa
    Lets go.
    Have fun there - please bring back some photos for us to see, and be careful of elephants.
    Resistance is futile...

First time I have ever posted on CPF. But I have visited this site on many occasions, since I own a few Surfire's. I have found this site the most informative!

Today, I received the UB3T!! A very impressive light indeed. I was concerned with the tight focused beam not having enough spill light. I tried it out tonight in a dark alley. WOW! It really lit up the alley like daylight. And to my satisfaction, there is ample spill light.

I use my surefire lights to paint with when taking night exposures in my photography. I can now do the back-forty in addition to my back yard..

Today, I received the UB3T!! A very impressive light indeed.
    I got mine as well through the same hard to refuse offer you mentioned in another post.

Nice light, the major annoyance for me so far, as others have reported, is the full brightness SOS mode between Min and Off. Unless you count carefully when dialing down the brightness, you'll get the full 800 lumen flash when you want to go to two lumens. Ouch! That'll wake the wife. What were they thinking? Will there someday be a UB3TA sold with the SOS next to the strobe past Max? David has been known to re-order the modes on at least one of his 4Sevens lights due to user feedback.

Of course, you can go through some convoluted protocol of turning the light off with the tailcap, clicking the selector ring Off, counting two clicks back to to Min and then twisting the tailcap back on. It would seem that the days of the simple tactical SF interface are behind us with this new light.

I do like the feature where you can tighten the tailcap to get Max with any selector setting except SOS, Strobe and Off. This is a favorite for me for long walks on a country road in starlight when a car suddenly comes around the curve and I can quickly shine a bright spot on the ground to announce my unexpected presence.

The tint on my UB3T is fine, some purple at the highest setting, the customary green shift when throttling down but well within the ballpark to my eyes.

Think I'll let someone else smoke test the light on three RCR's.

I agree with you on the way designed the selector switching. I think that Surefire intended for the off position to be used for shipping and instances where you don't want the unit to come on by mistake. I use the tail switch for activating the light after I have selected the power output. I have gotten used to that, because that's how (and the only way) I can use my LX2.

For my 2 cents, I would have liked the selector dial start with SOS, Off, then the power settings, ending up with the strobe feature past Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotophoto View Post
    I agree with you on the way designed the selector switching. I think that Surefire intended for the off position to be used for shipping and instances where you don't want the unit to come on by mistake. I use the tail switch for activating the light after I have selected the power output. I have gotten used to that, because that's how (and the only way) I can use my LX2.

For my 2 cents, I would have liked the selector dial start with SOS, Off, then the power settings, ending up with the strobe feature past Max.
    Or better: SOS - OFF - MIN till MAX - OFF - STROBE

Rotophoto:

I took my '$800 light' out with my $5 mutt for a long walk on quiet country roads again last night. The Min setting is nice for clearing a path and staying out of the ditch on a moonless evening. Using the Max setting to alert an occasional passing vehicle was overkill, one of the neighbors in a pickup truck stopped to ask me where I got the bright light, he really liked it. I was afraid he would ask me how much it cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamatis in Deserto View Post
    I took my '$800 light' out with my $5 mutt for a long walk on quiet country roads again last night. The Min setting is nice for clearing a path and staying out of the ditch on a moonless evening. Using the Max setting to alert an occasional passing vehicle was overkill, one of the neighbors in a pickup truck stopped to ask me where I got the bright light, he really liked it. I was afraid he would ask me how much it cost.
    Don't ever tell him! Once he knows, everybody you don't want to know will know it.
    My wife knows I have the UB3T, she knows the brand, she knows the model, she knows how I bought it and how it got here, she just doesn't know the price. She could easily look it up. And if she ever finds out I will tell her I got a very good deal via CPF. And I will remind her of that nice leather jacket she just bought. hehehe

My wife knows I have the UB3T, she knows the brand, she knows the model, she knows how I bought it and how it got here, she just doesn't know the price.
    My wife is out of town visiting her family. When she finds out I spent $200 for a light she'll explode.

My UB3T exhibits noticeable PWM on the third click above Min. On the next higher click there is very slight PWM, I can't detect it on the other settings. Perhaps a combination of current regulation and variable frequency/duty cycle PWM is used to vary the output somehow.

As others have reported, AW 17500's work and fit fine in the light.

Also, this light is a roller, even with a lanyard. The clip ring freewheels and the light wants to drop test itself onto a tile floor if you're not careful.

Greatings from a campfire in Africa.
    The Invictus works great.
    (More then Im back at home.)

Dr FM, you took these pictures?
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

which one is you Dr FM?

You can tell who's got the .45ACP and who's got the 9x19mm....

Before we can become old and wise, first we have to be young and foolish.
    When I die, I want to be like grandpa, peaceful and asleep. Unlike his passengers, screaming and yelling...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamatis in Deserto View Post
    I got mine as well through the same hard to refuse offer you mentioned in another post.
    Can you send me a PM on who might have this offer, or should I just start checking with some good dealers that have a history of great offers on new Surefire lights?

Thanks for any help.

Can you send me a PM on who might have this offer, or should I just start checking with some good dealers that have a history of great offers on new Surefire lights?
    I don't think the offer is still available. We both preordered some earlier whizbang SureFire light that turned out to be vaporware over three years ago from a major West Coast authorized dealer. I may have even prepaid or put down a deposit, it's been so long ago that I had pretty much forgotten about it.

The dealer offered a substantial discount on a UB3T in an unexpected e-mail message to compensate for the earlier cancelled order just as I was trying to stand firm against temptation.

I hesitate to be more specific here due to CPF policies about dealer names and discussion of SF pricing.

Post removed due to multiple sense of humour failures
    Last edited by Burntrice; 09-04-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burntrice View Post
    That thing fell out an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!
    then landed in a fugly puddle :P
    In other words: You can't afford it.
    Last edited by iapyx; 09-03-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burntrice View Post
    That thing fell out an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!
    then landed in a fugly puddle :P
    Thanks for your vital contribution!

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights