Surefire UB3T arrived! **Pictures, Q&A, BEAMSHOTS!!**

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well people, it has arrived!

The long awaited UB3T!

Pictures uploading now! :hitit:

Wow is this thing bright! It's the middle of the day too! :D

The selector ring has a solid feel, with deep indents between each level. When in the "Off" position, you cannot activate the light. With the selector ring set on a level for example "Min" a light press of the tailcap will activate low, a harder press will go directly to high. The same is with constant on via twisting the tailcap. Twist a small amount for the selected output, twist further for high.

High mode is bright!
I will get some comparison beamshots of this, my M3LT and my M6 running a LF HO-M6R tonight.

Comparing the UB3T to my 400 lumen M3LT on my walls in daylight there is a big difference!
Hotspots are similar size, however the M3LT's disappears when the UB3T's is put over it.

I believe the UB3T is running a Cree XM-L.

Oh, and there is no oil slick :D

Unpacking:
P6144057.jpg

P6144059.jpg

P6144060.jpg

P6144074.jpg

P6144075.jpg

P6144070.jpg

P6144071.jpg

P6144072.jpg

P6144061.jpg

P6144064.jpg

P6144062.jpg

P6144078.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

Selector Ring:
P6144066.jpg

P6144067.jpg

P6144068.jpg

Fuel Gauge
P6144069.jpg

BEAMSHOTS!

The lineup is:

Control - No lights on
UB3T - High (800 lumens)
M3LT - High (400 lumens)
LX2 - High (200 lumens)
Wildcat V2 - High (350 lumens??)
M6 w/HO-M6R - 400 lumens??

Control
control.jpg

UB3T High
ub3thigh.jpg

M3LT High
m3lthigh.jpg

LX2 High
lx2high.jpg

Wildcat V2 High
wildcathigh.jpg

M6 w/HO-M6R
M6.jpg

Comparison Pictures:

P6154095.jpg

P6154097.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Last edited:

Craig K

Enlightened
Re: Surefire UB3T arrived!

That looks really nice, what lumen rating is it and do you know what emitter it uses also how much does it cost?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whoa...awesome DRB...looks like a M3LT-S/U2 alien spawn! Damn sexy too! If I ever get another fat tax return, I may just have to grab one of these...like the "Blade Runner" etchings too! Congrats!

Does the battery meter appear to be a "weak spot", or does it look pretty well sealed/built? It looks like the collar can easily be removed, as it looks "clamped" together by two machine screws...can you acess them? Are they hex slots?

I also like the idea of being able to lower the light out-put to get the meter to "green-up" again, letting you know that at "that" power level, you still have some decent run-time left. Instead of just going red and staying red, even when you have 30 hours left of runtime on the low setting.

Looks like a nice blend of useable output levels too...2, 15, 80, 165, etc. Very task oriented and useful levels!

Last edited:

jiuong

Newly Enlightened

Can you describe the beam of the UB3T?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

That looks really nice, what lumen rating is it and do you know what emitter it uses also how much does it cost?

I posted a picture of the manual that has all of the runtimes and outputs :thumbsup:

Price is $695 retail.

Whoa...awesome DRB...looks like a M3LT-S/U2 alien spawn! Damn sexy too! If I ever get another fat tax return, I may just have to grab one of these...like the "Blade Runner" etchings too! Congrats!

Cheers mate! It is cool looking/feeling. I really love it, and I'm glad I got it!

Does the battery meter appear to be a "weak spot", or does it look pretty well sealed/built? It looks like the collar can easily be removed, as it looks "clamped" together by two machine screws...can you acess them? Are they hex slots?

It doesn't look like a weak point. There is a hole containing the LED, and this hole is covered in some form of clear epoxy?? I don't see any issues with durability.

The selector ring does appear to be two parts screwed together using hex screws. They are accessible, however I am sure they would be held with loc-tite.

I also like the idea of being able to lower the light out-put to get the meter to "green-up" again, letting you know that at "that" power level, you still have some decent run-time left. Instead of just going red and staying red, even when you have 30 hours left of runtime on the low setting.

The Fuel Gauge is cool! It is almost surreal to have such a thing on a light!

Looks like a nice blend of useable output levels too...2, 15, 80, 165, etc. Very task oriented and useful levels!

The output levels are well spaced. There is enough of a gap for the output difference to be noticeable without being to large a change. The strobe hurts... and it's daytime...

Can you describe the beam of the UB3T?

The beam is similar to the M3LT. One big hotspot with a small amount of spill. This beamshot doesn't show it too well, but tonight I will get out door shots up :thumbsup:

IMG_0114.jpg

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire UB3T arrived! **Pictures**

Here is the best image I could get of the emitter.

IMG_0111.jpg

It appears to be a Cree XM-L

TF2

Newly Enlightened

could you please post a pic of the m3lt and ub3t side by side? thanks

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

could you please post a pic of the m3lt and ub3t side by side? thanks

Let me know if this is what you are after. If not I can take another :thumbsup:

IMG_0118.jpg

Last edited:

Craig K

Enlightened
Re: Surefire UB3T arrived! **Pictures, Q&A, Beamshot & more to come**

Thanks DRB for the great pics and info.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

No problem!

I was expecting more questions to be honest.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is pretty nice! Really interested in the beam shots to see how that optic works. The battery fuel guage is a very good idea and seems well implemented, better usability than the battery voltage indicator in the LiteFlux. Maybe they will have introductory pricing.... ok... I was just dreaming.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

I was expecting more questions to be honest.

OK, here's a question! "Damnit! Why'd you have to show this?!? Why? Why? Now I want one!!!" ;) Is it as crazy-insane awesome as it looks?

*deep breath*

OK I've calmed down, here's a more serious question. Given the rather large head, between the TIR optic and rotary switch, how well balanced is it in your hands? Would it be comfortable to carry in a cigar grip? (I'd guess not, except perhaps with a pistol?) Anyway, feel free to expound on the ergonomics of the light for a bit, if you don't mind.

Thanks, I really have gone from "don't want" to "OMG MUST HAVE" after looking at your photos of the UB3T.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

...Maybe they will have introductory pricing.... ok... I was just dreaming.

*cough* I didn't pay that much *cough*

;)

OK, here's a question! "Damnit! Why'd you have to show this?!? Why? Why? Now I want one!!!" ;) Is it as crazy-insane awesome as it looks?

*deep breath*

OK I've calmed down, here's a more serious question. Given the rather large head, between the TIR optic and rotary switch, how well balanced is it in your hands? Would it be comfortable to carry in a cigar grip? (I'd guess not, except perhaps with a pistol?) Anyway, feel free to expound on the ergonomics of the light for a bit, if you don't mind.

Thanks, I really have gone from "don't want" to "OMG MUST HAVE" after looking at your photos of the UB3T.

To start off, yes it is pretty awesome :D

The light is rather top heavy (relatively speaking), however I personally find it comfortable to use in the Surefire-Rogers technique. I personally prefer the Harries technique though.

With either of these techniques I think I could comfortably use the UB3T with a firearm. Although the head is heavy, relative to the rest of the light, it is still light weight. Obviously in comparison to a smaller light such as a 6P or Z3 (as I currently use) the head has a lot more heft and 'drag', but I don't feel it would interfere with successful illumination when used with a firearm.

Depending on the size of your hand you may require removing or adding another spacer ring from the combat grip rings, however I feel comfortable with the stock configuration.

The only gripe I have (as with all of the newer model Surefires) is the lack of knurling. There is sufficient grip on the light, however some knurling along the body (such as the M3/Z3 have) would increase the grip when using the Surefire-Rogers technique. Mind you, there isn't really much room left for any knurling, apart from the tailcap! The groves on the tailcap act sufficiently for grip, as they are nice and deep allowing your fingers to 'dig' right in.

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

How do you feel about this light for a walking around / hiking type light?
How easy / hard is it to switch modes? Is that a one handed or two handed operation? (Looks to be two handed)
How easy is it to avoid SOS mode and get to min in total darkness? That placement seems somewhat unfortunate to me, unless there's a positive indicator for "min". (I realize that there are way smaller form factors for delivering up 2 lumens. However, if you care about low modes, then you have a reason to care, and definitely do not want SOS mode going off by accident.)

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't personally go hiking, however if you needed a far reaching light with the ability to produce lower output levels I think that it would do well. I would happily go walking with it!

To switch modes, you can use one or two hands. I can easily operate the selector ring with one hand.

Each level has a defined and definite position. There are strong notches for each level similar to the KROMA however more firm and defined (you cannot miss each levels notch. In other words, the ring does not rotate "smoothly" like the U2. The "Min" output is two clicks from the far left ("off") position. These clicks can easily be counted (felt and heard), so I think you would be fine to operate the light even in pitch black conditions and find the minimum mode. The selector ring cannot rotate completely around, ie you cannot get to strobe from the off position by turning the ring left. The ring must travel to the right passing all other output levels.

I hope that makes sense.

Perhaps the SOS mode should have been placed next to the Stobe function. I don't feel it will be an issue, just more of a "nuisance" having to pass "SOS" from "off" to select "min".

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

DRB, am I getting you right? If I set the selector level to any other level the tail cap would be set at half lock? If I go full lock-on on or fully depress the tail cap I would get max output? Is this how it works? I always like the idea of running my light on some lower levels and just depress the tail cap for momentary blast of light. I personally don't like running my lights on full output all the time. If this is what it is, I think I am really thinking of getting one myself. I love my M3LT so I guess I would love this as well.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

DRB, am I getting you right? If I set the selector level to any other level the tail cap would be set at half lock? If I go full lock-on on or fully depress the tail cap I would get max output? Is this how it works? I always like the idea of running my light on some lower levels and just depress the tail cap for momentary blast of light. I personally don't like running my lights on full output all the time. If this is what it is, I think I am really thinking of getting one myself. I love my M3LT so I guess I would love this as well.

The UB3T has what they are calling a "Max Blast Tailcap". If you half press the tailcap you get the output selected on the selector ring. No matter where the selector ring is positioned, if you fully press you will get 800 lumens. (This is the same for rotating the tailcap for constant on) Also, if you have your selected output on constant by rotating the tailcap, and require full output you can depress the tailcap further for momentary 800 lumens or rotate the tailcap further for constant on 800 lumens.

In essence you can have the light run as a single mode twisty with momentary activation by having the selector ring positioned on the "Max" setting.

I hope this makes sense, let me know if I need to clarify anything.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't personally go hiking, however if you needed a far reaching light with the ability to produce lower output levels I think that it would do well. I would happily go walking with it!

To switch modes, you can use one or two hands. I can easily operate the selector ring with one hand.

Each level has a defined and definite position. There are strong notches for each level similar to the KROMA however more firm and defined (you cannot miss each levels notch. In other words, the ring does not rotate "smoothly" like the U2. The "Min" output is two clicks from the far left ("off") position. These clicks can easily be counted (felt and heard), so I think you would be fine to operate the light even in pitch black conditions and find the minimum mode. The selector ring cannot rotate completely around, ie you cannot get to strobe from the off position by turning the ring left. The ring must travel to the right passing all other output levels.

I hope that makes sense.

Perhaps the SOS mode should have been placed next to the Stobe function. I don't feel it will be an issue, just more of a "nuisance" having to pass "SOS" from "off" to select "min".

That's another good news regarding the selector. I always hated the Fenix TA21 because the selector ring just keeps going round and round with no stop. Not sure if you know what I meant. There is no way I would know what output level I am on except to switch on the light, and it is impossible to preselect a level in the dark before activation.

I agree with you that SOS should be placed with strobe. Why would SF place the SOS level just after turn on? I guess the off position was meant more for transportation of the light? Something like a quick lock-out instead of turning the tail cap?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

The UB3T has what they are calling a "Max Blast Tailcap". If you half press the tailcap you get the output selected on the selector ring. No matter where the selector ring is positioned, if you fully press you will get 800 lumens. (This is the same for rotating the tailcap for constant on) Also, if you have your selected output on constant by rotating the tailcap, and require full output you can depress the tailcap further for momentary 800 lumens or rotate the tailcap further for constant on 800 lumens.

In essence you can have the light run as a single mode twisty with momentary activation by having the selector ring positioned on the "Max" setting.

I hope this makes sense, let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Thank you sir! That is very clear. I understand now how it works and I think it's cool!