Fake Ultrafire 18650 battery warning

xxllmm4

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

Just thought I would pass this along to any new people to the board. About a year ago I bought some Ultrafire 3000mah 18650's off ebay for about $3 ea shipped. They turned out to be about 2250mah but for the price I didn't complain too much. So about 6 weeks ago I ordered some more :( some protected and some not, 2 separate sellers on Ebay. I got out my Imax B6 charger and did some discharge tests at 1A and1400mah was the best. A couple where dead and some came in at about 70... yes 70mah. I opened them up and this is what I found. NONE of them match!
wrappers.jpg
Clearly recycled, old spot welds where ground off. The unprotected batteries where not even 18650's they had some weird thick plastic cover to make them thicker.
IMG_1616.jpg

These things could be really scary in a multi cell flashlight! I did get a full refund from both sellers, so if you get any fakes by all means ask for a refund and let other people know, these batteries are to dangerous to play around with.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why Redilast and AW batteries come so highly recommended!

Norm

Retired Administrator
What your seeing is pretty much normal for cheap Chinese cells, I doubt they are fake.
Norm

I opened them up and this is what I found. NONE of them match!
Clearly recycled, old spot welds where ground off. The unprotected batteries where not even 18650's they had some weird thick plastic cover to make them thicker.

xxllmm4

Newly Enlightened
This is why Redilast and AW batteries come so highly recommended!

No kidding, brands you can actually trust! This adventure has actually prompted me to import our own batteries, they should be here in a few days :)

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Norm What your seeing is pretty much normal for cheap Chinese cells, I doubt they are fake.
Norm
x2

x3

Sounds about right for UltraFire. As I just mentioned in another thread, you never know what you're going to get with the "Fire" brands, as well as a lot of the others. Their suppliers change almost daily. It's only the wrapper on the cells that stays the same. Actually, those sometimes change too!:crackup:

Dave

Norm

Retired Administrator
Fire brands are "like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Norm

xxllmm4

Newly Enlightened
I would love to try and track down some real Ultrafire 3000's if such a thing exists. But I fear I would have better luck tracking down Bigfoot (no offense to Bigfoot believers :thumbsup:)

There is at least one test where the ultrafire 3000 did quite well, maybe they got a Panasonic 2900 recycled in the mix? http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/Battery 18650 UK.html

xxllmm4

Newly Enlightened
I do not call 2400-2500 mAh for a battery rated 3000mAh "quite well", but it looks like that is the expected capacity for that cell, I got the same the this year with a new batch of cells.

Actually yes I would say they did quite well, their near the top in all the tests. As advertised? No not even close. and thanks for doing the tests! Have you done any testing regarding life expectancy?

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Actually yes I would say they did quite well, their near the top in all the tests. As advertised? No not even close. and thanks for doing the tests! Have you done any testing regarding life expectancy?

If it was marked 2400 or 2500 it would do fine, but when it is marked 3000 it is way below specs. It also has a rather high internal resistance.
I have not tested anything about life expectancy.

xxllmm4

Newly Enlightened
It also has a rather high internal resistance.
I would think a new battery that started out with a high internal resistance would be prone to a short like.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
some sonys and maybe sanyos? Sony Fukushima us18650gr rated at 2.2Ah, IIRC.

Still, what the hell? They have a big barrel of random batteries, both name brand and generic rejects or something? and they just put the wrappers on them.

xxllmm4

Newly Enlightened
They have a big barrel of random batteries, both name brand and generic rejects or something? and they just put the wrappers on them.

Yeah pretty much looks that way. BTW one of them was a Sony US18650VT their supposed to be good for 15A discharges. But their not JUST rejects, they are used. All of them had tabs pulled off or ground off. On one of the DOA cells the protection board was not even spot welded to the battery. They missed it! :thumbsup:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wondered what happened to the LiIon batteries I put in the recycle bins. I did hear they get sent to China for recycling. I thought that meant taking them apart for the rare earth elements inside, not putting a new wrapper on them and selling them back to the US on ebay.

BoarHunter

Newly Enlightened
I always wondered what happened to the LiIon batteries I put in the recycle bins. I did hear they get sent to China for recycling. I thought that meant taking them apart for the rare earth elements inside, not putting a new wrapper on them and selling them back to the US on ebay.

I prefer this type of recycling instead of finding these recycled products in the food chain ! :)

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the cells are in the picture are recycled Sanyo, and then I see a couple Sony cells there. I'm not sure about the one that says 1617.

Not too surprising... you get what you pay for.

Oh but they are getting $3 per cell "recycling" them this way. :p

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some AW cells and I got what AW said he was supplying. They cost more, but they are exactly as advertised. I'm not too sure that it is cheaper to buy cheaper products - most of the time you just pay the cheaper price and then the dearer price to replace them with what you should have bought in the first place. AW cells should be good for hundreds of charges and ~ 3-5 years of use, they really don't work out to be very expensive at all. Cheaper cells will often clap out on you within a year, even if they work OK when you first get them - pay more and get some quality cells.