Thinking of getting a new compact camera...

DM51

Flashaholic
OK, so a compact isn't going to give the sort of results you get with a DSLR, but what do you experts think - is the difference really all that noticeable these days?

I've heard good reports about the Sony HX9V. Anyone know it?

tam17

Enlightened
I've read some reviews on HX9V, but megazooms aren't realy my thing. Besides, I prefer cameras made by traditional camera manufacturers.

I'm a happy owner of Nikon P300 - loads of manual controls and 1080p video, 320 Euros in my area. Still experimenting with it :whistle:

Cheers,

Tam

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, please fill up the beginner's FAQ questions. What's your budget, are you using it for camping, what kind of cells are you using.... oops. :p

I had the same dilemma last week and ended up getting Canon S95. Sony HX9V is very new and from the specs, it looks to be a powerful compact, but I picked S95 because it gives me more control via Manual, AP, Program etc, the features of a DSLR camera. Put these in a compact body and that decided for me. :D Its macro isn't as great as the best ones, but it's all about good balance of everything, I guess.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I like to have a camera with me all the time and gave up my SLR years ago in exchange for wearing a pouch on my belt that assures I can always take a picture. One of the biggest problems with non-protruding lens super compacts like I carry though is the lack of glass, which makes them very weak in area of 'light collection' and none of the super compacts I've tried has been able to work well in the dark.

Compacts using a lens that telescopes out of the camera body do much better in very low light situations though and going with some of the better compact cameras with more glass, I've seen some excellent results out of manufacturers like Ricoh and the Panasonic Lumix series, which will easily get you into a 10x optical zoom and the ability to shoot virtually in the dark.

mikra

Newly Enlightened

tam17

Enlightened
Sensor size makes a big difference. On P300, Nikon tried to solve the smaller sensor issue with backlighting, but results are not so spectacular IMO (or perhaps I shouldn't try compare performance of a compact with a DSLR).

I've seen some excellent results out of manufacturers like Ricoh and the Panasonic Lumix series, which will easily get you into a 10x optical zoom and the ability to shoot virtually in the dark.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that amount of light that enters the camera inevitably decreases with increase in focal length of the lens: The best results in poor lighting are supposed to be obtained with wide-angle lens i.e. shorter focal length (and/or bigger sensor). Or not :confused:

Cheers,

Tam

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
I find that I like having the Canon s95 on me since it is very compact and has manual controls and shoots in RAW.

I'd also consider the Panasonic LX5.

The micro four thirds are nice too, but approach the price of DSLR cameras.

As I always say, the best camera is the one you have on you.

sprinkle

Newly Enlightened
For a compact camera I would look into the Canon S95 like others have suggested. Not only does it have RAW and manual controls, it also has a slightly larger sensor than the vast majority of compact cameras (1/1.7" vs 1/2.3" on most) and the quality is noticeably better because of this. That is one of the major reasons I chose it. It is nice to have such a small capable camera when I am not wanting to lug the big DSLR around.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that amount of light that enters the camera inevitably decreases with increase in focal length of the lens: The best results in poor lighting are supposed to be obtained with wide-angle lens i.e. shorter focal length (and/or bigger sensor).
Yes, long focal lengths are not good for low light photography in general, but having low light sensitivity coupled with a decent range of zooming capacity in the same camera widens it's range of usefulness, which was the point I was trying to make.
As I always say, the best camera is the one you have on you.
+1 :thumbsup:

Bass

Enlightened
The Sony HX9V looks to be a nice camera. Nice lens, great backlit Exmor R back lit sensor with nice image quality. Video functions are impressive, if that interests you. No RAW mode though.

As mentioned, the Canon S95, Canon G12 or Lumix LX5 are probably the photographers choice in compacts. All have RAW.

If sensor size (and image quality) are paramount, a Sony NEX 3/5 is a good option. These have APS-C size sensor. Not exactly compact (with a lens on) but smaller than equivalent quality DSLR set up.

DM51

Flashaholic
Thanks very much to everyone for all the input. :)

If the Sony doesn't have a manual setting option, that will rule it out for me. RAW is something I don't really know much about. I've seen RAW vs. JPG comparisons where the JPG version actually looks better.

I'm going to need to do more research!

Tazzdad

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to second (or third) th suggestion that you take a look at the Micro 4/3rds cameras. Though I'm not a very "advanced" photographer, I think the larger sensor really does make a difference.

The new Panasonic Gf3 is really small and if you can get by without a zoom lens it's a pretty small package with the pancake lens. The interchangeable lenses give you a "growth path" if you really get into photography. Looking at it that way, it isn't that much more expensive, especially compared to something like a canon G12.

Erich1B

Newly Enlightened
My $.02 - For a pocket camera I would suggest looking into the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/LX5/LX5A.HTM

However, I would agree with Tazzdad about considering a 4/3rds format. I just purchased my father a Olympus E-620 with 40-150mm Zuiko lens for Father's Day. While it won't fit in your pocket, you'll get much better photos with a 4/3rds sensor than a point and shoot sized sensor.

I'd like to second (or third) th suggestion that you take a look at the Micro 4/3rds cameras. Though I'm not a very "advanced" photographer, I think the larger sensor really does make a difference.

The new Panasonic Gf3 is really small and if you can get by without a zoom lens it's a pretty small package with the pancake lens. The interchangeable lenses give you a "growth path" if you really get into photography. Looking at it that way, it isn't that much more expensive, especially compared to something like a canon G12.

samm

Newly Enlightened
I have the S95 with the Richard Franic grip from Lensmate. http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/S95S90grip.php For me the $32.95 grip make a huge difference on the S95. And it fits 100% perfectly and is easy to put on and makes it so much easier to grip and manuever. There is none better, you'll be glad you got it. If you can go for a little bigger compact the Canon G series is imo the very best. I have the G10, but the most recent is the G12. Here is a useful link that compares the G11, G12 and S95 on one page. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonG12/ I get great pictures from my G10, some comparable to an SLR imho. My G10 with free Picasa version 3.8 (editing, straightening, enhancing, redeye, and organizing, and super simple to use) and you would be set to go. http://picasa.google.com/#utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-bk&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=picasa Good luck.

X Racer

Enlightened
I'm a professional photographer and I would recommend the Canon S95 as well. The Canon G12 and the Nikon P7000 are also good choices. These are the only three compacts that I would consider, and I really love my S95...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
A few months ago I picked up a Samsung HZ30W superzoom (15X) and I'm very pleased. I think it had just been discontinued, so the $129 price from BJ's was too compelling. The pics are very well exposed on auto as is white balance. There are also full manual settings, including focus. I'd never had a camera with image stabilization before, and this really works well. It's no problem to get good shots handheld at full zoom, and even possible adding the digital (75X). And, unlike an old Sony V-1, the lithium-ion battery really has good life plus a spare was fairly cheap. I don't think it gives up much to the likes of Canon, Nikon, or Sony.

Geoff