Imalent
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homebrewing!

Default Re: Homebrewing!

Working on my honey ale right now. A light 'ode to summer' beer that I hope will be well received. It smells good in the kettle!

I'm seeing if I can figure out how to post a video, so I'm testing it with a really lame video of me dumping 3 lbs of Minnesota clover honey into my brew kettle.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7025/td5e.mp4
    Last edited by nbp; 08-21-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I'm seeing if I can figure out how to post a video, so I'm testing it with a really lame video of me dumping 3 lbs of Minnesota clover honey into my brew kettle.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7025/td5e.mp4
    That's a LOT of honey! It'll kick up the ABV for sure.

What's in the bag? Hops?

I've always added the honey at the very end of the boil, after I've taken the wort off the heat. Too hot and you drive off some of the more delicate smells and flavors of the honey.

It does seem like a lot doesn't it? There's 3 lbs gold LME, and 3 lbs honey. I think it will end up somewhere around 6% abv. I was too lazy to make up more sanitizer solution and sanitize the thief to get a hydrometer reading, but based on the recipe's info and some reading I did about this kit on the Midwest Supplies forum I am now a member of, that's my estimation.

The bag is a nylon boiling bag for the hops. I just dumped them in the kettle the first batch, but it added so much extra floaty crap to the wort which subsequently stuck to the sides of the fermenter when the krausen fell and fell back in when bottling....blah blah blah...I just didn't like it. So I tried this method. Seemed to get plenty of wort through it, so we'll see what happens.

I had Glacier hops in for 60 min, and then added the honey with 10 min to go, which brought the boil down. It kept heating for a couple min and just started boiling again and then I added the Vanguard hops for 2 min. Seemed to retain a fair amount of honey aroma. I tasted a bit of the wort, and there was definitely honey flavor and plenty of sweetness, but it was more bitter than I expected. This is supposed to be a pretty easy drinking ale, so I am really hoping that it mellows in the fermenter and bottles. Might have to mature longer in the bottles than the red ale. I don't know, I'm pretty new to all this. Just trying not to screw things up. I also tried something different with this batch in that I went with the upgrade to White Labs vial instead of the Munton's dry yeast that comes standard. It's pretty easy; just let it warm for a couple hours, shake up the vial and pitch it. Hoping that higher quality liquid yeast improves the brew.

Sooo many variables, it's hard to get it all straight. Either way, it'll still be beer.

Flashaholic*

Take a look at http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

It's a really good calculator; gives you everything from ABV to IBUs.

Your honey ale should end up around 4.8% ABV based on the fermentables you used and the instructions for the Honey Bee Ale kit (I assume that's what you used).

I bottled a milk stout last Thursday. I hope it'll be ready for my birthday next week, but it may take a bit longer than that. Stouts tend to take a bit longer to carb up than other styles for whatever reason. I made an oatmeal stout last winter that went a good 4 weeks before it was ready... not that it stopped me from trying it early.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
    I've always added the honey at the very end of the boil, after I've taken the wort off the heat. Too hot and you drive off some of the more delicate smells and flavors of the honey.
    Exactly, its just needs to get hot enough to pasteurize, never boil.

The bag is a nylon boiling bag for the hops. I just dumped them in the kettle the first batch, but it added so much extra floaty crap to the wort which subsequently stuck to the sides of the fermenter when the krausen fell and fell back in when bottling....blah blah blah...I just didn't like it. So I tried this method. Seemed to get plenty of wort through it, so we'll see what happens.
    I use a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag, it has lasted for about a hundred batches so far. I clip it to the side of my sanke boil kettle, works quite well.
    <bunch 'O flashlights>

Hey guys, haven't bumped this one up for a while.

My honey ale turned out nicely. It's not my favorite style, but basically everyone that tried it liked it, so I was very happy about that.

Today I am working on a stout. It's an Irish stout recipe, and I am trying to make it a bit of a chocolate stout using cacao nibs to add the chocolate flavor. It's bubbling away in the kettle right now. It's black as night and smells great. I am super excited about this one!

The stout is a week in the bottle and I had to try a QC sample. It's really good! It seemed thin and a bit acrid out of the fermenter, but it has smoothed out and thickened a lot in the bottle already, and carbed really nicely, with a great head on it. I had a Guinness last night and then tried this one today as a comparison, and I am really impressed with it. I will not be sharing much of this one.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4607/stouts.jpg

Your images are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 07-07-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Nice work nbp.This thread reminds me of my University days when I would brew beer in my dorm room closet.Lately I've thought about moving up to distilling whiskey in my garage.Completely legal where I live after you fill out a few forms.The equipment is a little pricey but might be worth it.Here's a pic of a self contained unit available on E-Bay..........

My girlfriend said if I bought one more light she would leave me...........I'm sure gonna miss her.

Man, this has been dormant for TOOOO long!! I haven't brewed anything in awhile and I am antsy for homebrew, so I went down to Northern Brewer and picked up some things. I got a kit for a nice American amber ale that I want to brew this weekend. I also got a secondary fermenter to help clarify and condition the batch better than just a primary. And the most fun part: I splurged on a kegging system! This next batch is not going in bottles, it's going right into a 5 gal keg, so I can have fresh beer on tap! I am super excited about that, and I will have to have a bunch of friends over in a month or so to celebrate; it will be awesome to be able to fill pint glasses fresh from the tap at home.

What else is going with you guys in homebrew land?

Flashaholic

And the most fun part: I splurged on a kegging system!
    you won't regret it. I took a 5 year hiatus from brewing because I was tired of dealing with 50+ bottles every batch. Once I got to kegging I never looked back.
    <bunch 'O flashlights>

I think it will really improve the quality of the product, and the fun of dispensing it. :

Will be brewing this weekend, so I should be able to keg in 3-4 weeks.

Default Homebrewing!

Kegged my amber ale today and am working on carbonating it. Tested it out and the system works awesome for dispensing!

Got it in the fridge and hooked up allowing it to equilibrate as the beer cools further.

I'm brewing a British ESB today and collaborating with a pint glass to try to finish what's in the keg so I can wash it out and have it ready for the ESB when it's done.

Would love for this thread to pick up a bit.

I'm too busy buying everyone else's craft brews to try to make my own..

Just going to munch on this... waiting on some beer...
    -I have been asked my view of mind control. My view? I would love to be able to control my mind! - Welcome to the Dark Side! Which just also happens to be the Light Side.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    I'm too busy buying everyone else's craft brews to try to make my own..

Oh, I do that too my friend, I rarely ever buy something I have had before and never from the "big names". I try new stuff all the time. But making your own is fun and delicious. Not to mention how nice it is to have fresh beer on tap in your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatrowned View Post

Just going to munch on this... waiting on some beer...
    Couple weeks Austin, and you'll have to pop by to test the new batch.

Flashaholic*

Brewing always looks so fun and easy, but I know from a few friends that it is not so easy.

I keep trying to convince one of them to make a nice Pils, but so far, no takers. It is really hard to find a good Pils in the US that is anything close to even the average, everyday Pils you find all over Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
    It is really hard to find a good Pils in the US that is anything close to even the average, everyday Pils you find all over Germany.
    A little brewery in Pennsylvania has your answer; Victory Prima, one of the world's highest rated pilsners. Truly the sports car of beers - lightweight body and beautifully balanced. Highly recommended:

Couple weeks Austin, and you'll have to pop by to test the new batch.
    Ill just bring some popcorn and camp out in your basement. Won't even know I'm there (until the beer disappears)

A good beer I had recently was call "Chris" (named after the person who made it) from Lakefront Brewery, in Milwaukee Wi. It's a maple vanilla doppelbock. It definitely gets Worth a mug full if you can get one.
    -I have been asked my view of mind control. My view? I would love to be able to control my mind! - Welcome to the Dark Side! Which just also happens to be the Light Side.

Default Homebrewing!

Flashlights and beer!

I love Lakefront, never had that one though.

Met the founder and president of Lakefront a couple months ago. He was less interesting than I had hoped, lol. Their beer is good though.

I do need to go on the Lakefront Brewery tour, I've heard it is good. And I will have to try and find that Victory Prima! It looks delicious!