RCR123 Rapid discharge danger ?

flashmenow

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I have a question regarding RCR123 and rapid discharge.

This is how the story goes. I have a 1 cell Vital Gear body LEGO. This atm has a XM-L drop in. My thoughts are to install a SST-50 drop in.

So the question is, will running a SST-50 on a RCR123 create a danger rapidly discharging the single cell ? Other then shortening the life span of the battery are there other dangers ?

I fully understand run times will be very short. This build idea would be for momentary use, and or limited use/run time.

Sorry if this question was posed before the search feature was not much help. Thanks Glenn

This is the LEGO in question, and I have a CRYOs cooling bezel for it inbound to deal with the projected heat issues .

Thanks for the read and any input. Glenn

vg1.jpg

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Glenn,

Li-Ion cells work very well when they are used at a rate that discharges them in 2 hours or more. They can handle a 1 hour discharge rate, but it is harder on the cells.

When you are drawing enough current to discharge the cell in 15 minutes or less, you can expect them to have a greatly reduced life cycle.

With that said, if you use your flashlight as a FLASH light, you may find that the cycle life is not effected even at high current draws. Li-Ion cells can handle large surge currents, as long as the cell doesn't heat up.

Tom

flashmenow

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tom. Thanks for the response. With all the talk about being careful with rechargeable battery's I just wanted a feeler as if a rapid discharge could go "boom" in hand.

Not worried about the longevity of a cell even if I rapid discharge.

The light won't be used as a "Flash" Light as in a signal light.

More a handy pocket full of light in the event of needing a bright light source.

The XM-L drop in currently is a Thru-nite and has a very low/low about 60LM, so could be useful for longer run time if the light takes a new role.

Thanks much ! Glenn