Alternative to 12v alkaline

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
Many moons ago -- way before my flashaholic syndrome came to the fore -- a friend of mine gave me a green Glo-Toob key fob. It's pretty neat as an emergency light, but the thing runs off of a 12v alkaline battery. I'm trying to purge the lkalines from my flashlights so there's no (or little) chance of my batteries leaking, and even though this 12v alkaline behaved well since I got it I would liek to replace it with another battery chemistry.

What other battery exists as a replacement for the small 12v alkaline variety?

Last edited:

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I'm gonna assume that no other battery is available in the small 12v variety. Bummer.

Wrend

Enlightened
10S (cells in series) or 9S NiMH, or NiCd; 6S Pb; 4S LiFePO4; 3S LiPo, or LiIon.

The problem is your A23 12V alkaline batteries are made out of 8 button type cells in series. You'll have a hard time finding effective rechargeable cells that small.

Last edited:

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
Basically what you're saying is that any combination of cells that equal 12v in that same form factor will work. I guess that makes sense. I'll have to check every battery type there is. Thanks for the idea.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
An A23 is made of 7-8 LR932 cells - there is no exact lithium equivalent.

If you were REALLY motivated to convert it to lithium power you could try 4 x CR927's and perhaps a small spacer to make up the extra space.

Or you could just buy a GTL Glo Toob which is made to use a CR123A.