PEAK
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review of ThruNite Scorpion V2 with outdoor beamshots

Default Re: Review of ThruNite Scorpion V2 with outdoor beamshots

Thanks for all detailed current-voltage comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    I can only record 3 channels at the current time (With the setup needed for checking batteries), i.e. I can either record current or a single temperature, the other two has to be voltage and brightness.
    Then by all means, record current. I just did a test with Duracell cells (which in my experience have identical discharge characteristics to the Panasonics), and measured the heat (reported in post #5 here).

The front cell gets a lot hotter, especially near the head. It's quite possible the heat is setting off the PTC circuit in the front-most cell. Your voltage-current relationships should clarify what exactly is going on.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: IMALENT SA04.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Then by all means, record current. I just did a test with Duracell cells (which in my experience have identical discharge characteristics to the Panasonics), and measured the heat (reported in post #5 here).
    I am already recording it and it looks like it is the batteries, after 8 minutes 2xCR123 is down to 3 volt. When I am finished with the graph I will post it in the battery thread you started.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

I was looking for a small powerful versatile flashlight about 6 months ago and after much research I decided upon a Jetbeam IIIM R5. For one reason or another I never actually bought it. I’ve just returned now to see if it was still the torch for me, and I notice this which ‘looks’ a lot better. Just one question about this – is it all waterproof? I mean how would it handle being out in the rain and getting a covering?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack2 View Post
    I was looking for a small powerful versatile flashlight about 6 months ago and after much research I decided upon a Jetbeam IIIM R5. For one reason or another I never actually bought it. I’ve just returned now to see if it was still the torch for me, and I notice this which ‘looks’ a lot better. Just one question about this – is it all waterproof? I mean how would it handle being out in the rain and getting a covering?
    The specifications says it can be 1.5 meter under water for 30 minutes, I do not believe that a few drops of rain will do any damage to the light.
    The looks and design of the light also makes me believe that it will stand up to any amount of rain.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Selfbuilt,

I've noticed that you use 2200 mAh LiONs in your tests. I use 2200 mAh Pilas which are their highest capacity batteries, along with the excellent Pila chargers. Have you considered using higher capacity batteries? Could you please talk about your thoughts on this subject.

If this is too OT please ignore.

Brightnorm
    Last edited by brightnorm; 06-26-2011 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brightnorm View Post
    I've noticed that you use 2200 mAh LiONs in your tests. I use 2200 mAh Pilas which are their highest capacity batteries, along with the excellent Pila chargers. Have you considered using higher capacity batteries? Could you please talk about your thoughts on this subject.
    The simple reason why I stick with 2200mAh batteries is it allows direct comparison to my older reviews.

Capacity ratings on batteries are tricky things - they greatly depend on discharge rates. So if I switched cells, you could never really directly compare the runtimes (i.e. AW 2600mAh may not have 18% longer runtime compared to AW 2200mAh at all discharge rates). I believe higher capacity cells tend to perform relatively less well at higher discharges, but you would have to confirm that with the experts in the battery subforum.

Also, there is no magic involved in the chemistry of ICR (LiCoO2) Li-ions - higher capacity is going to mean greater size, either length or width (or both). The original 2200mAh button-tops thus also provide a standard that is virtually guaranteed to work in every light. Newer higher capacity cells (being larger and typically flat-tops) can sometimes have issues in certain lights. I typically test this just to make sure the cells work, but it's simplest again to stick with 2200mAh for regular runtime testing.

Oh, and the runs are finished faster too on 2200mAh cells. That helps when you are doing as many runtimes as I do.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 06-27-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: IMALENT SA04.

To get an idea of capacity of different cells at different discharge current, check my 18650 roundup.

To get an idea of capacity of different cells at different discharge current, check my 18650 roundup.
    Great round-up HKJ. Very nice set of comparisons.

And sorry for the OT reply - when I saw the question addressed to me, I forgot I was in your review thread and not mine.

And sorry for the OT reply - when I saw the question addressed to me, I forgot I was in your review thread and not mine.
    No reason to be sorry, the question was for you.

Thank you both.

Brightnorm

Have you tested the AW protected and non-protected IMR?

Ok, here are my results on 2xCR123A on max, on Titanium Innovations CR123As and Panasonic made-in-USA CR123As, with and without external cooling:

As you can see, cooling didn't make much of a difference on the Panasonic runs - I got ~5 mins to step down without it, and ~6 mins with it. The only real difference cooling seems to make is in the rate of the recovery phase.

So it seems the Panasonic cells can't handle the current load and heat up faster than the Titanium Innovations cells. This is turn either triggers some sort of stepdown circuit/resistor, or causes some sort of battery hiccup.

Interesting .... I've just posted a synopsis of the situation in the batteries/electronics forum. Let's see what the experts there think!

Wow! Thanks for the awesome review! I might have to pick one of these up

Quote Originally Posted by molon_labe View Post
    Have you tested the AW protected and non-protected IMR?
    If you look at my runtime curve you will see se a curve for IMR16340, that is AW's IMR cells in CR123 size.

Based on the amperage, any idea on lumens for the max output setting on the neutral XM-L ? I know they will be using T5 bin.
    sig line removed to help search function...

Quote Originally Posted by derfyled View Post
    Based on the amperage, any idea on lumens for the max output setting on the neutral XM-L ? I know they will be using T5 bin.
    The T5 led is about 7% less lumen compared to the T6 led, it does not matter if it is cool, neutral or warm white. If the T6 is 750 lumen, then the T5 will be 700 lumen

Enlightened

Thanks for this great review, it led to me ordering one of these with the Turbo Head from Battery Junction and now this light is on my carbine rifle for hog hunting, really really nice throw and light weight, excellent infinite brightness adjustment, this is a high quality piece and will pay for itself in short order!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPup View Post
    Thanks for this great review, it led to me ordering one of these with the Turbo Head from Battery Junction and now this light is on my carbine rifle for hog hunting, really really nice throw and light weight, excellent infinite brightness adjustment, this is a high quality piece and will pay for itself in short order!
    I bought one to mount on my AR but it won't work with my mount. My 1" mount won't spread open enough to slide over the tail end. Going to have to find a two piece mount that clamps over the body.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Flashaholic*

In the above table I have collected all modes. I have also included off as a mode, because the light uses a small amount of power. All the estimated runtimes are with a 2600mA LiIon battery. The estimated lumen is scale from the specified maximum. The brightness is a relative measurement from a lux meter.
    All the values are measured at 3.7 volt. The battery warning was observed in infinite mode at 2.7 volt.
    HKJ, thank you very much for these measurements, very useful!
    But are you really sure the light uses over 10 W in firefly and nearly 10kW in max?
    Last edited by Helmut.G; 11-22-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmut.G View Post
    But are you really sure the light uses over 10 W in firefly and nearly 1kW in max?
    It is a powerfull light
    But maybe it would be a good idea to adjust the point a bit.

Edit:
    Now it looks more realistic
    Last edited by HKJ; 11-22-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Hi All... I have one of these cool lights and am trying to decide if i should get the turbo head. Ive seen the beam shots and if i really sqint i can see a bit of a difference. Those who have them.. can you see and actual improvement?

I originally bought a V2 with the extra Turbo head a while back and would say that selfbuilt's review is pretty spot on as from my usage experience I would estimate you get about an extra 50 yards throw with the turbo head.
    I was so impressed with the amount of light the V2 puts out in a small package that I ordered another one last week so I have one with the standard head and one with the turbo head fitted all the time.
    My reasoning for this (Not that I need reasoning with the illness this site and LED flashlights have caused! ) was that it would probably take at least 20 seconds to change the head from standard to turbo so I am now saving a considerable amount of time not having to change heads!
    Oh and also there is no chance of dust getting into the head either!

JONO.... you have the bug... BAD!!!!

Ha,your right gsteve!
    Stick around here long enough and you will catch it too!

Hi, HKJ.
    Thanks for this usefull review.
    One question... does the Scorpion with Turbo Head fit in the holster ?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BenF57 View Post
    Hi, HKJ.
    Thanks for this usefull review.
    One question... does the Scorpion with Turbo Head fit in the holster ?
    No, it doesn't.

The supplied holster doesn't even work properly without the TurboHead.
    In my opinion it's completely useless, a waste of natural resources.

Great
    Thanks anyway !

I like everything about my Scorpion V2, except that the low voltage warning doesn't seem to work with my Panasonic non-protect 3100mah cells, the light will go dimmer and dimmer, but no flash warning. Is this normal ?
    Sorry, I don't have a multimeter to test the final voltage.

Flashaholic*

As you can see from HKJ's great testing results in the first post, it's completely normal that the low-battery warning doesn't activate until the battery is nearly completely dead.

I'd recommend you to change the battery as soon as you notice a decrease in output.

Quote Originally Posted by eh123456 View Post
    I like everything about my Scorpion V2, except that the low voltage warning doesn't seem to work with my Panasonic non-protect 3100mah cells, the light will go dimmer and dimmer, but no flash warning. Is this normal ?
    Sorry, I don't have a multimeter to test the final voltage.
    The Panasonic cells can be safely discharge down to 2.5 volt and if you look at the "voltage sweep" graph, you will see that the light just about turns of at 2.5 volt. As long as you remove the battery, when the light is very dim, you are safe.

I wanted to see how the low voltage warning works, so even the light was dim already, I waited, waited, and waited, eventually, the voltage was low enough and the light started flashing every few seconds
    Thanks guys.