Lurker-newcomer seeks advice on light/battery/charger system!

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
Hey there! I recently became interested in getting myself an EDC flashlight, and after much humming, hawing and lurking, I decided to order a Fenix LD10 (R5). Basically, it seemed like a good compromise between power, portability, affordability and flexibility. Plus, unlike many lights that get the thumbs up here, it was available from amazon.co.uk - ordering stuff from the U.S. is a pain when you live in Ireland!

It's the flexibility aspect that I'm in something of a haze about. Basically, part of the appeal of the LD10 versus its CR123 equivalent was the availability and variety of the AA format. Generally you have a variety of battery types that seem to offer different options, and in a pinch you can stick an alkaline in there and keep things bright. However, for all my lurking I'm still not sure what exactly the pros and cons of the various 'chemistries' are. I know 14500s will give the light a serious boost, but will they damage the light in the long-term? Is there a good, all-round compromise battery that is rechargable? If so, what should I recharge them with? So on and so forth.

I know such questions yield complicated answers, and that nobody here is going to be able to point me to a single battery and say "That's the one". Obviously I'm going to need to try different kinds and see what suits. What I'm really looking for is a little guidance, so I can try a few 'representatives' of the various AA schools, and I thought the many flashaholics here might be able to look at my light, look at what I want it for, and suggest some preliminary purchases that will help me to decide on my own flashlight 'system'.

First of all, here's some context regarding usage. The light will be in my pocket all day, every day, but if I'm honest I'm unlikely to use it that much. I'm buying it so that I have a light on me at all times in case it's needed (especially as in about a month my bicycle will be my daily A-B), and (if I'm honest) partly so I can play with a kewl little gadget.

What I would like are some examples that match one (or more!) of these categories:

1) A battery that will make my LD10 as awesomely bright as possible without damaging it. I'm prepared to sacrifice some potential lumens for the longevity/reliability of the light. Obviously not too bothered if these are rechargable or cheap (though the latter would be nice!), as I want these to serve the fun, gadgety aspect of things.

2) A rechargable battery that is as powerful as possible, again without damaging the LD10. I don't expect it to be as powerful as the above, but if there's a trade-off between power and runtime, I'd consider the former to be more important. In all liklihood, these are going to be my everyday batteries.

3) A battery recharger to match the above. It doesn't have to charge tonnes of batteries - I'm an organised person, and keeping a few in rotation is something that would suit me.

I'd really appreciate any help that people can offer - apologis if there are any howlers in there. Thanks!

P.S.

While lurking I found these:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?245942-Introducing-Titanium-Innovations-CRAA-%28CR14505%29-3V-1500mAh-Lithium-AA-size-battery

Are they a potential solution to no.1 up there?

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Philonous :)

You have the light, and what you are now looking for is advice on a suitable battery and charger for it, so I'll move your thread to the Batteries section.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
Sorry - I'm still getting used to what goes where here, so I wasn't sure where to post this. I had a feeling I might require some directions from a friendly mod!

Wrend

Enlightened
Batteries: Sanyo (Panasonic) Eneloop NiHMs (or equivalent LSD NiMH AAs). These batteries are the perfect compromise, and in many ways they perform better than other rechargeable batteries and alkaline batteries.

Charger: MH-C9000 (or another "smart" charger that charges cells individually and can test their discharge capacity for cell matching so you're less likely to ruin your cells).

cistallus

Enlightened
What Wrend said is the best overall advice.

A primary lithium battery like the Energizer Advanced or Ultimate Lithium might be a bit brighter, and should be a good choice for a light that's not used much.

Those CRAA 3V batteries, or a 14500 Li-Ion battery, may be risky - apparently some people have used them successfully, though you lose the lower modes which probably isn't desirable for general purpose EDC use.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
Batteries: Sanyo (Panasonic) Eneloop NiHMs (or equivalent LSD NiMH AAs). These batteries are the perfect compromise, and in many ways they perform better than other rechargeable batteries and alkaline batteries.

I've read about the Eneloops on here, and they seemed like the kind of thing I was looking for, so this confirmation is nice. However, I'm looking around, and picking up the Sanyo Eneloops locally looks like it's going to be awkward. Is there an identical Panasonic battery, or a comparable Energizer battery I can look out for? I know I can always order online, but I'd like to avoid paying shipping fees that are 20%+ of the overall price.

Charger: MH-C9000 (or another "smart" charger that charges cells individually and can test their discharge capacity for cell matching so you're less likely to ruin your cells).

I'm looking at these online, and they all seem to retail for approximately €40-50 here. Is there any 'bang for buck' model you know of, or is it a case of getting what you pay for (i.e. good batteries or ruined batteries)?

What Wrend said is the best overall advice.

A primary lithium battery like the Energizer Advanced or Ultimate Lithium might be a bit brighter, and should be a good choice for a light that's not used much.

Those CRAA 3V batteries, or a 14500 Li-Ion battery, may be risky - apparently some people have used them successfully, though you lose the lower modes which probably isn't desirable for general purpose EDC use.

Okay, so if I want something for play/experiment, an Energizer Ultimate Lithium seems like the way to go, as it's readily available here.

Thanks for your advice guys!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, get yourself some Eneloops. They don't have the highest capacity, but they'll also still have a charge after you leave them in your drawer/light for 6 months. Highly recommended.

As for chargers, I use the Duracell CEF23DX4N. It's an old favorite around here. It has 4 independent charging channels which is quite nice. The only problem is that they're discontinued so finding them is a bit hard. Oddly, they're still available at pretty much every big box store in Canada. /boggle

BVH

Flashaholic
+1 to what Wrend said - Eneloops if you want a re-chargeable setup or primary Lithiums if you want simplicity and a bit more brightness. If you are truly not going to use it much, than the Lithiums would tip the scale for me. However, I'd guess that you will end up using it a lot more than you anticipate. "If it's there in your pocket, you'll find lots of uses that u have not thought of".

Last edited:

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice guys - I picked up a box of 6 Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries today, and I've also ordered 8 Eneloops along with a Powerex MH-C9000 charger. That should keep me set ECD-wise for a while!