How do the Maha/powerex batteries compare to eneloops

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Maha/powerex makes a lot of stuff even 2700mah AA's are these even close to 2700mah and how do they compare to eneloops?

I'm also interested in there 9 and 9.6 volt's as the ones for my paint-ball gun self discharge in about 2 days.

AmmoBox

Newly Enlightened
From what I understand, the Maha batteries aren't "all that' and most folks go with eneloops. Including myself.

They make GREAT chargers, but so-so batteries.

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
For an LSD battery it's tough to beat an Eneloop I'll admit that - but the Powerex is a fine non-LSD cell. They are still the choice of many photographers for their flash equipment. They get more flashes per battery than Eneloop. They aren't a battery I would let sit around for a month before using it.

The 9.6V is specifically designed for items like a paint ball gun. I'd recommend that version first.

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
The Imedion is LSD. If I can find them for appreciably cheaper than an Eneloop then I might consider it. Usually that is not the case - so I stick with Eneloops. The Powerex is a good non LSD battery. Others like the Sanyo 2700's.

I've had good luck with both the Powerex and Imedion C and D sizes so far. They aren't cheap and others feel there are better performers for the buck, but I feel comfortable with them and they seem to be pretty consistent so far. Only tried the Powerex AA 2700's for the smaller sizes - but I like those.

Last edited:

Marc999

Newly Enlightened
The Imedion is LSD. If I can find them for appreciably cheaper than an Eneloop then I might consider it. Usually that is not the case - so I stick with Eneloops. The Powerex is a good non LSD battery. Others like the Sanyo 2700's.

I've had good luck with both the Powerex and Imedion C and D sizes so far. They aren't cheap and others feel there are better performers for the buck, but I feel comfortable with them and they seem to be pretty consistent so far. Only tried the Powerex AA 2700's for the smaller sizes - but I like those.

YMMV I suppose. I had Powerex AA 2700 cells that lasted all of 10 months. They experienced decreased capacity, wouldn't hold a charge and by 10 months, developed high internal resistance such that the Mh-C9000 refused to charge them. Now, it's just eneloops for me.

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
LSD is obviously a bonus and no matter what battery you buy you might only get a few extra mAh out of the battery. I doubt anyone touches Eneloops for quality, consistency or shelf life. They aren't the most expensive AA NiMH battery - but they probably should be. I only have 8 of the Powerex and 32 Eneloops. Buying more Eneloops soon. If not for some very specific uses I wouldn't even have the 8 Powerex so I understand an Eneloop only philosophy.

...but Powerex is a pretty good battery for what it is.

As for the paintball gun issue - The 9.6 V Powerex version seems to be the category winner (at least back in 2003).

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/misc/maha9v/index.shtml

Not sure how the Imedion version stacks up. Both 9.6V's are listed at 230 mAh, but the Powerex is probably using a 'typical' rating while the Imedion is using a maximum rating. For instance, the Powerex D size battery says 11,000 mAh typical. The Imedion D says 9500 mAh and then minimum 8600 mAh in smaller letters. Sneaky bastids!

You might want to try the 8.4V version too. If 8.4V is enough to run the paintball hopper then you might get longer runtime with the lower voltage/higher mAh version of the 9V. From what little I've read of the subject voltage seems like the bigger issue and they go for the 9.6V.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The point of the 9.6v is that spyder and only spyder guns (not the hopper) run on it and they don't work properly with regular 9v's and the spyder brand 9.6v nimh's self dischage in a day or 2.

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
In that case I would avoid the higher voltage battery. Wasn't sure if it was a specific brand or what that required the higher voltage - but if your gun doesn't require it then you will probably do more damage.

I'd give the standard 9V 300mAh Powerex version a try. Not sure you will see a significant increase from a 2 day drain. You might get a few extra hours - but I doubt it goes to 3-4 days or anything.

menoceros

Newly Enlightened
You need to remember, powerex are "regular NiMh and will discharge in about three months if left alone. You can't really compare them to Eneloops. Imedion is Maha's brand of LSD battery. There have been several threads about them and Eneloops, especially since the Imedions are "supposedly" 2400mah. Search the threads and you'll find the reviews.

Latest posts