The Headlamp and Hands-Free Challenge

carrot

Flashaholic
This is a continuation of the challenge series: 5mm Incan 250+
Apologies for posting the challenge a day late.

This challenge should be easy! For those of us with headlamps, anyway.

You must use hands-free illumination for one week. You may not hold your illumination at all. It must be on your head or used in some other hands-free method that lets you use both your hands.

Additionally you may not simply hold a headlamp. Every time you use your hands-free illumination, it must be hands-free. Put it on your head!

As usual, post pics and discuss!

scout24

Flashaholic
Admittedly, I bailed on the 250lm. challenge, and I'm ready to take some flaming for that... :) This one will be great! My Titan fits great in a ZL headlamp band, and my modded H501w has a big honkin' clip for shirt collar or waistband use. SC51w should fit in the same carrier, so "throw" with decent output should be covered. All I need to worry about is crazy (ier) looks from my Wife, kids and co-workers! Pics of my setups to follow. Thanks, Carrot!

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some rapelling helmets have picatinny rails.

I have a belt clip with a polymer picatinny rail that I clip to my back pack shoulder clip.

Also you can clip a light to a ball cap.

Here is a surefire helmet light mount integrated into a hat
http://www.botachtactical.com/eoopgropcapw.html

Then there is the awesome Larue Tactical hat. Which was designed to work with a SF E1B light.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...arue-tactical-hat-and-E1B-are-a-perfect-match

Carrot, will you accept these forms of "head mounted lighting"?

scout24

Flashaholic
Nick- I think as long as you are hands-free, that you're good! I'm going to need to come up with a ball cap I like to use my E1E or E2E. Incan hands-free. :) On to the preliminary setup pics! Lots of ZL inspiration in the ZL headlamp mods thread. David1t in particular has elevated the H501 into it's own EDC platform, and I credit that with the magnet and clip ideas for mine. The sc51w pocketclip was removed for easier use with headband.

P1010805.jpg

P1010802.jpg

P1010800.jpg

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
scout24, that clip for your H501 is seriously nice! i used to use mine with the stock clip, clipped to my shirt pocket at work all the time.

ok, i failed the 250+ challenge miserably. so im going to make it harder on myself, by not using a headlamp.

ive chosen a fenix MC10 which ive modded with a diffuser film, and high cri xpg.
im going to have to either set it down, or clip it onto my clothes before turning on, should be challenging.

dsc00460mh.jpg

dsc00350d.jpg

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The challenge is to use hand-free illumination for a week so I will. I will not use a headlamp or flashlight for a week. I'll just use the sun or the usual room illumination (ceiling lights) :)

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Carrot,
I need another judges decision.
Am I prohibited from using these?
GL

Also, What about arm and leg bands, Do they qualify?

I will be participating. I have a Princeton 3xAAA and also the Fenix headband that will carry two flashlights. Of course there is always the infamous and heavily copied clip booklight. Mine has a magnet.
This challange should be interesting. It raises the from what to carry, to the how its used :thumbsup:.

Is cheating allowed? I could see hooking up a around the house Extension cord and desk lamp :duck:

ASheep

Enlightened
After (barely) passing the 250 Lumen challenge, I'm certainly up for this!
I guess my new H51r won't make it here by the end of the week, so no red light for me this week :(
On the other hand, H501w will be getting plenty of use, as will a tailstanding quark AA^2 with diffuser tip. Pending The Orange One's ruling on Quark Hand-Grips, they may come into play also.

I think my H501w will spend the week clipped to my belt, so I can use it as forward facing light, the headband will stay in my bag in case I require a proper headlamp.

Pics and experiences to follow.

Cheers,
Alex

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I don't own any headlamps, I'm not going to compete this time. As you can see, my L2p is a bit heavy, and holding it between my teeth causes my whole face to distort with the weight of it :D

IMG_0910.JPG

The only reason that's even possible to hold is because the S9 tailcap gives me something to bite on to. The regular flat/smooth one is impossible to hold!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Hi Carrot,
I need another judges decision.
Am I prohibited from using these?
GL

Also, What about arm and leg bands, Do they qualify?

I will be participating. I have a Princeton 3xAAA and also the Fenix headband that will carry two flashlights. Of course there is always the infamous and heavily copied clip booklight. Mine has a magnet.
This challange should be interesting. It raises the from what to carry, to the how its used :thumbsup:.

Is cheating allowed? I could see hooking up a around the house Extension cord and desk lamp :duck:
As long as you are not actually holding the light source with your hands, you are playing by the rules!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Some rapelling helmets have picatinny rails.

I have a belt clip with a polymer picatinny rail that I clip to my back pack shoulder clip.

Also you can clip a light to a ball cap.

Here is a surefire helmet light mount integrated into a hat
http://www.botachtactical.com/eoopgropcapw.html

Then there is the awesome Larue Tactical hat. Which was designed to work with a SF E1B light.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...arue-tactical-hat-and-E1B-are-a-perfect-match

Carrot, will you accept these forms of "head mounted lighting"?

Yes.

I'm in on this one! so tailstand counts too, since it's hands-free?

Yes.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Guess I'll be using my Streamlight Microstream model for a week, between my teeth.

Will try to switch it on by depressing the tailcap with my tongue, but can't make any promises about that particular aspect.

I own a couple of headlamps. But the SL will just be easier all around.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I'll be using my Streamlight Microstream model for a week, between my teeth.

Will try to switch it on by depressing the tailcap with my tongue, but can't make any promises about that particular aspect.

I own a couple of headlamps. But the SL will just be easier all around.

Cmon Dave, it isnt about what is easy but what is challenging haha.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
I'm in - but I must confess I have an unfair advantage as this challenge describes the EDC usage style I use almost exclusively already! Pics of my H51w to follow as time permits...

- Jas.