Love the headlamps, hate the headbands

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I have a ZL SC51 and absolutely love it, so I figured the headlamp version would be an excellent replacement for my Petzl. Unfortunately the headband that ZL uses is uncomfortable. Whereas the Petzl light stays in one place on my head, the ZL headband mount wobbles and is very distracting. Sparks' headband has the same problem, as it is similarly made out of silicone.

What are some headlamps that have sturdy headband attachments? Is there a third party headband available for a ZL? I really want to buy a high end headlamp, but if it doesn't feel good to use, it won't work...

tedh

Newly Enlightened
yeah, i hear you. I put a Petzl headband on my Zebralight, for exactly that reason. But that only solved half the problem, the silicone mount is lousy, too. I saw somebody here (can't find the post right now) used an old Petzl plastic mount and attached clips to it to hold the Zebralight. Might be worth a try.

Ted

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the clip on my H51w with the headband because it holds the light much more stably than without it. Otherwise, it does bounce around and change position. By placing the clip over the loop on the tail cap side, and tucking it under the loop on the emitter side, it adds just enough friction to keep it in place and yet also allow easy adjustment by hand. I also tend to keep my strap a little tighter, and wear a bandana on my head to help keep it in place. That works very well for me as I use it a lot for outdoor activities where I'm often working up a sweat.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy with the DavidT "around the neck" carry for casual (non vigorous) use, and it keeps the headlamp off my head altogether. In the second of the four links cistallus posted above, scroll to post #3. Also #27 and #34.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my Zebralight H51 for running, and agree the headband is not that great. The light bounces around = not good. So, I now use a Nite Ize headband ($4) and it is perfect. The strap is nylon (not stretchy,) so no headaches from constriction. And, the loop that holds the light is stiff & sturdy. The light does not bounce around at all. Check it out. Bought mine at batteryjunction.com & comes in different colors. I got black.

Ediblestarfish

Newly Enlightened
I agree, the ZL headband feels like an afterthought. I tend to use it with a cycling cap (short bill) to keep the silicone holder from poking me, and to prevent it from wobbling. Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the lack of a quick release ability when you want to hand hold the light.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my ST5-190NW yesterday and its headband is much better made and thought out than the ZL headbands. Holds the light much more securely. I think the ZL headband could possibly be modified to use a second, over the top strap, which would make a lot of difference.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reconfigured the zebralight headband so the rubber mount is positioned in the adjustment loop which keeps the rubber off my head. After doing this it was so much more comfortable.

Before
Straporiginalconfig.jpg

After - and my head going "aaahhhhhhh, much better"
Strapnewconfig.jpg

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my ST5-190NW yesterday and its headband is much better made and thought out than the ZL headbands. Holds the light much more securely. I think the ZL headband could possibly be modified to use a second, over the top strap, which would make a lot of difference.

They are of different designs. The jockstrap type is more secure but bulkier. The ZL design doesn't have a top strap and that makes it smaller and more EDC friendly. If the the ZL headband is of the same design as that other light, then a direct comparison can be made.

Last edited:

bogmonster

Newly Enlightened
My ZL H51 bounces up and down like a yoyo. I wear it on a helmet. If I use it under my primary caving light it is fine as it is wedged in. Hopeless if I use it on its own. As there were already some holes in the helmet I did not want to drill more so made a replacement mount from an old headlamp. I drilled the old backplate and cable tied the H51 to it. This mount has an over the head strap and is rigid plastic. Works much better for my need but not very attractive. The mount has enough room for a H502 I expect. The combination of the 2 will make a reasonable primary caving light for smaller caves with some inherent redundancy should one of the lights pack up mid trip.

Might get a Spark SD5 and ZL H600 instead though

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reworked my headband similar to Subwoofer's idea where the end ring (not the adjustment ring) is directly behind the silicon holder and also slid the light over in the holder to where the raised part of the light is under one of the holders rings. This dramatically reduced the "sloppiness" of the light.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reworked my headband similar to Subwoofer's idea where the end ring (not the adjustment ring) is directly behind the silicon holder and also slid the light over in the holder to where the raised part of the light is under one of the holders rings. This dramatically reduced the "sloppiness" of the light.

Looks like it could be painful! :eek:oo:

I set mine up so the double layer part of the band goes through the holder; makes it more stable and more comfortable too.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I don't notice it. Maybe my head is just too hard. :D

EDIT: I think the silicon holder so so darn soft that it doesn't push on the ring any harder than the way it would normally.

Last edited:

Wet

Newly Enlightened
I utilized a sewing machine to re-route the headband like this:

nOKUnom.jpg

This set-up seems both less bouncy and moar comfortable. Also the headband feels easier to adjust than in the factory made set-up. :thumbsup:

However, now the headband's tension goes through the silicone holder, and since I don't know how much tension the holder will be able to take, it might be a good idea not to overtighten the headband.

Charles L.

Enlightened
My ZL H600F has a slightly different headband, but it shares the same problem with the rubber mount digging into my forehead. It's the primary issue that keeps me reaching for my Nitecore HC50, and keeps the H600F on the shelf. Subwoofer, I'm going to give your idea (three years old now, I see -- and yet the problem persists!) a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
It's easy enough to add a top strap, and makes the light stay in place better, and is a lot more comfortable. Much less light sag or bounce, and less head pain since you don't have to tighten the head strap as much.

I used one "1 x 27-Inch Black Velcro Velstrech Strap", adjusted it to fit, and am happy with it. Just loop it through the mount, over the back end of the headband, and Bob's your uncle.

I see that Zebralights now includes the headbands with the top strap for their 18650 lights. Check their site for visuals. Maybe they'll sell the top strap for retrofit?

Andrewbp

Newly Enlightened
Don't know how goofy / stupid it would look , but here in florida when alligator hunting they put a Cessna landing light into what is pretty much the base of a construction helment minus the helmet part , ie that plastic headband / support that you tighten with your hand to the needed size of your head. It's lightweight and secure and if it holds a full size 100w bulb I think it would support your module.

mmedeiros14

Newly Enlightened
The cheapie headlamp I got from Home Depot is pretty comfortable, I forget it's on my head sometimes which gets a bit awkward.