Malkoff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenix TK60 not so good

Default Fenix TK60 not so good

Just got the Fenix TK60

Was really stoked to get a light that will run for a LOOONG time. And it will.

Tried it outside and it does throw like a laser!!!

BUT, a coating of dust on the reflector and a VERY greenish tint on 10L,110L AND on 350L makes a great survival light not so great. Only on Turbo does the beam get white. I have had other XMLs that also suffer from low level greenish tints but at 350L I should not be seeing so much green.

The reflector having a fins coating of dust is a BIG dissappointment on a $120 flashlight and I fear Fenix quality is slipping back to that of 5 years ago.

Walls on the body are very thin but when batteries are installed it feels pretty solid.

Any comments Fenix?
    Glass window is so thin it feels like plastic. If dropped I dont know if it would crack easily?
    I fear Fenix is raising prices and quality is not following suit. It happens time and time again as greed takes over

will try to get low quality pics up at some point

will I keep it? I dont know yet . Its the only D cell light out there with high output and long runtimes

Any comments Fenix? I know youre out there
    Last edited by purelite; 06-22-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added

Default Re: Fenix TK60 not so good

I don't think I have ever seen Fenix comment here, maybe I'm wrong but don't hold your breath. I feel the same way about a dusty lens even if it does not effect the beam it's still annoying, Fenix is usually one of the few I can depend on for a clean lens and reflector sorry it didn't work out for you. Tint shift isn't so great either but it happens with current controlled light's, I'm surprised your seeing enough green to bother you with a XM-L, I'm glad to be getting away from XP-G because the XM-L seems to be more consistent cool white.

If it's going to continue to bother you send it back for exchange and hope for something better.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Hi JHC

Thanx for commenting. I did attempt an exchange and was told all the TK60s they had in stock had dust on the reflector.

Just want all to know before they put down hard earned cash for one of these what to expect

I am betting Fenix gets on CPF quite frequently even if they dont comment directly I bet they read these threads regularly

Overall I would say this light should be more in the $75 range if they cant even blow some canned air on the reflector before sealing it up

Quote Originally Posted by purelite View Post
    Just got the Fenix TK60

Was really stoked to get a light that will run for a LOOONG time. And it will.

Tried it outside and it does throw like a laser!!!

BUT, a coating of dust on the reflector and a VERY greenish tint on 10L,110L AND on 350L makes a great survival light not so great. Only on Turbo does the beam get white. I have had other XMLs that also suffer from low level greenish tints but at 350L I should not be seeing so much green.

The reflector having a fins coating of dust is a BIG dissappointment on a $120 flashlight and I fear Fenix quality is slipping back to that of 5 years ago.

Walls on the body are very thin but when batteries are installed it feels pretty solid.

Any comments Fenix?
    Glass window is so thin it feels like plastic. If dropped I dont know if it would crack easily?
    I fear Fenix is raising prices and quality is not following suit. It happens time and time again as greed takes over

will try to get low quality pics up at some point

will I keep it? I dont know yet . Its the only D cell light out there with high output and long runtimes

Any comments Fenix? I know youre out there
    I disagree with this statement. Just got an E21 and its a VERY well made light, at any price point. The fact that its ~$30 is no reflection of the quality, heft and robustness of design.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Quote Originally Posted by purelite View Post
    Hi JHC

Thanx for commenting. I did attempt an exchange and was told all the TK60s they had in stock had dust on the reflector.

Just want all to know before they put down hard earned cash for one of these what to expect

I am betting Fenix gets on CPF quite frequently even if they dont comment directly I bet they read these threads regularly

Overall I would say this light should be more in the $75 range if they cant even blow some canned air on the reflector before sealing it up
    Other than the dust and tint it seems you like it, I would suggest just putting it to good use as often as possible and see if it grows on you. Some of my best light's are the one's at first has some type of small "defect", I just rode them hard and really didn't care if I scratched it, overheated it etc. and it played in the light's favor proving itself very worthy.

I've also noticed no matter the brand light with a larger head they tend to gather more dust inside so I've grown to expect it in that size light's, hopefully it will grow on you as well.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Thanx JHC I appreciate the positive words

I do plan on using the light as intended. And maybe my rants come across as a bit extreme but I am not talking about a cpl specks of dust here. I know many on CPF are very anal about stuff like this and I myself have had my share of not so perfect lights and for the most part a minor problem in finish quality hasnt been a huge issue for me , BUT when a reflector is covered in a coating of fine dust like this and I am told that all of them are this way then it tells me there is a problem at Fenix either in Manufacture or QC .

I carry an LD15 and its a great light . I really like many of Fenixs' products but when I see a whole production run with a glaring problem I think people should know. I could have returned the light , the dealer offered that option. For now I have chosen to lower my standards and live with it. I just want poeple to know what to expect on this particular model not bash Fenix totally.

Its really just when I go above $100 for a light I expect a minimal level of QC . Having to "just live with it" is good enough for some but anything above $100 should meet certain standards dont ya thinnk?
    Last edited by purelite; 06-22-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added

My TK45 and 35 were both horrible green... I finally got brave (or crazy) enough to torch them both apart and change emitters. Not recommended though... that crap they use on the threads is as hard as concrete.

No dust problem though. They just skimp on tints IMO.

Rich

My TK41 (same emitter and reflector as the TK60) has a little dust on the reflector as well. At first I was annoyed by this dust a bit, until I took that TK41 outside and played with it.

Now I love the TK41, and the dust didn't cross my mind again until I read the OP here.

As for the green tint, try to exchange your TK60 at the store for a nicer tinted light, and don't mind the bit of dust in it.

I bet you'll be forgetting about the dust soon enough on a nice tinted TK60.

BTW: I exchanged both my first TK21 and TK41 in the store due to a horrible green tint, so this tint problem with the XM-Ls in Fenix lights isn't uncommon. See Richpalms comment.
    Last edited by Richub; 06-22-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

Yeah the TK60 throws and is impressive outside.

Its just when you get above $100 I think there is a certain expectation with QC. I mean I have had Surefires that had flaws in the Tir or reflector. But I have also seen Fenix prices rise steadily over the past 2 years and I dont see consistant quality as a result. and for a dealer to say they are all like that? Maybe that was a lie to get me to go away? I dont know. It did kind of miff me that they went in the back for 10 mins and came back with that statement and also said it wont affect performance. Uh, excuse me but dust isnt relective and anything coating a reflector that isnt REFLECTIVE is going to hinder performance. I really cant stand BS .

I also dont usually get obsessive about tints. I have come to realize there is no consistancy with tints in LEDs. But something like dust can be controlled . I have watched the videos of Fenixs' new setup and all the hype about QC and increased manufacturing standards and then I get a light like this and I immediatly think Bullshiot!!!

I have seen this before, sales increase,production increases,prices increase, quality decreases. Sure some will get good specimens . whats the average? I dont know but I will say this regardless of brand I would my success rate with getting what I paid for for what was advertised is about 60% and that spell problems that need to be addressed. I see alot of lights being pumped out to get that money out of our pockets and I am starting to feel like I am being taken advantage of . I know the fanboys will defend to the death but I know also how much hassle I have had to deal with in the past year and I tire of it
    Last edited by purelite; 06-22-2011 at 09:43 PM.

If nothing we do or say on CPF can make you feel any better about this, maybe it's time to take it back to the manufacturer.

Don't think I say you are wrong about this quality issue (you're actually damn right about it, see my remark about the 'green' Fenix lights I took back to the store), it's only that we at CPF can't do anything about it.
    And if blowing off steam about it here still doesn't 'relieve' you, then I think it's time to talk to Fenix about it.

In my case, I was initially quite annoyed with the dust inside my TK41, but after seeing how nice the tint and overall performance is, I thought to myself: What the heck, I'll live with it.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

Richub great way to put it, I agree...

OP thanks for the heads up,, my TK40 was perfect, my TK21 is perfect, ano, lens, everything....maybe others who buy this version will chime in, either way I'd return this and maybe buy from another reliable online source....maybe the initial run has issues....returns from a dealer will prompt Fenix to act if that's actually the case.
    made in china...

Flashaholic*

This is not good. A strong greenish tint seems to be a general characteristic for the new Fenixes. I hardly dare to order some of them...
    It's obvious that the older Fenixes have better tint than the newer. TK50 is the first Fenix in my collection with a strong greenish tint, none of the earlier had any greenish more than TK30, and that's so very slight, only noticable when comparing to other lights.
    But of course the tint is caused by the emitter, and this should mean that also other brands using the same modern emitters should suffer from the same problem?
    My wish is that Fenix (or all manufacturers) could offer some kind of tint guarantee. I would accept to pay slightly more to be sure I get a tint which isn't greenish or bluish!
    Wanted: Surefire G2 in tan. Tip me!

My collection Photos of my lights

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    This is not good. A strong greenish tint seems to be a general characteristic for the new Fenixes. I hardly dare to order some of them...
    It's obvious that the older Fenixes have better tint than the newer. TK50 is the first Fenix in my collection with a strong greenish tint, none of the earlier had any greenish more than TK30, and that's so very slight, only noticable when comparing to other lights.
    But of course the tint is caused by the emitter, and this should mean that also other brands using the same modern emitters should suffer from the same problem?
    My wish is that Fenix (or all manufacturers) could offer some kind of tint guarantee. I would accept to pay slightly more to be sure I get a tint which isn't greenish or bluish!
    That would be great of they do that only it shouldn't affect the price, when I buy a €130 light it should be good.
    The TK70 is coming, but I'll wait for a couple of weeks for some reviews.

Flashaholic*

I've seen many lights by different manufacturers with Cree XM-L and most of them had warmer tints with a slightly yellow/green tint. Only few had bluish tint so I think that it is the characteristics of the new XM-L emitter. Personally I prefer warmer tints for outdoor use than blue tints.

I would be bothered much more by the green tint than I would the dust. I hate green tints, give me puprle, give me blue, give me yellow, but god I sure don't want green.
    My Lights Here

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ebow86 View Post
    I would be bothered much more by the green tint than I would the dust. I hate green tints, give me puprle, give me blue, give me yellow, but god I sure don't want green.
    Me too. I don't know why, but I find a green tint really irritating, and the XP-G emitters often seem to have the dreaded "cat's piss green" thing happening. And yet others I have are a really nice white, with some others tending to a very acceptable vanilla.

I will sometimes ask a retailer if they have such-and-such a light with a white tint (not green), if they have I buy, if not then it is no sale (I no longer play the "green-tint lottery" with certain brands of light any more). I would also be prepared to pay extra to be certain of avoiding green tints.

Quote Originally Posted by ebow86 View Post
    Hear, hear!! Only way I'd get another Fenix is with the knowledge that I'd be getting out the torch. There is no excuse for this... with 4sevens and Jetbeams I've gotten good tints.

BTW, if you do decide to torch the TK35, the heatsink has only the LED mounted-the electronics are in the battery carrier. So don't drop or abuse that!

Rich

Flashaholic

I am truly sorry to hear about the tint and dust issues with this torch since I was truly interested in getting one. "Was" is the operative word, unless or until I learn from a reliable source that these issues have been corrected.

Nonetheless, I would still be interested in knowing whether the TK60 will run regulated on 3 NiMH D-cells. Can any of you gents answer the question?
    When in doubt, buy both!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckley View Post
    I am truly sorry to hear about the tint and dust issues with this torch since I was truly interested in getting one. "Was" is the operative word, unless or until I learn from a reliable source that these issues have been corrected.

Nonetheless, I would still be interested in knowing whether the TK60 will run regulated on 3 NiMH D-cells. Can any of you gents answer the question?
    The dust can't be considered a serious issue, this happens with many lights regardless of manufacturer or model. To disregard a light due to someone's account of a dusty lens and reflector would be unwise. I have $500 surefire's that have dust inside the lens and reflector.

Tint is still a gamble no matter what manufacturer we are talking about. The OP just happened to get unlucky with his. You could buy a TK60 and get one of the most beautiful white tints ever. Tint variation is much less of an issue now than it used to be. If you were intrested in a TK60 I would not let the OP's bad experience keep you from buying a TK60 if you really want one.
    Last edited by ebow86; 06-23-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    My Lights Here

Dust on a reflector?

What the heck? My TK20 nor TK41 have dust.

I think complaining here DOES do a lot of good. Mr. Fenix may not visit cpf but many of his dealers do! If a product gets enough complaints here and enough dealers complain to the manufacturer something may be done about it. In fact it could have more of an effect than an individual customer's complaints (unless they get 100's of them about the same issue).

One of the few things that bothers me at cpf is that someone notes a problem with a product then somebody overdoes it on defending the product then the thread gets shut down. The net effect is you know that if you are too critical of a product your point of view isn't likely to "live" very long here.

Well, maybe I did go overboard accusing Fenix of letting QC go down the tubes and getting greedy. I have no evidence of such a thing. Its just after watching those Tour of Fenix vids it seemed like they had brought manufacturing to a new level.

As far as a $500 light having dust inside the head, I have seen facilities where they make high end camera lens' that range in price from $250-$2000 and when sealing up the components it is done in a special area that includes a vacuum hood and other devices to virtually eliminate dust/contaminants. They also check the lens after sealing up to see if anything got inside during the process . A $500 light should be put together with the same diligence, no excuse there though it does put things into context for sure.

This wasnt a cpl specks either. That can and does happen for sure. The reflector has a coating of dust on about 2/3 of it and the dealer said they were all like that.

Tints? I dont know what can anyone really do about that? Cree sends them on reels and I wouldnt expect Fenix to analyze each one for tint. That would increase cost significantly . The problem there starts with CRee or the technology of the LED. But Fenix can control what goes on with their components.

I will shut up at this point if I am annoying people I apologize. I like discussions but dont want to bug people or rain on anyones parade

I really just didnt want to see anyone else be disappointed and maybe consider asking your dealer to look at the light before sending it out.

Oh, one other thing. If someone can explain this

1st time I tailstood the light on Turbo for about 10 mins the head and area with the cooling fins got noticeably warm which is a good thing. The next time with a total use time of maybe 20 mins on new NIMH D cells the light didnt get warm at all on Turbo tail standing. I am right now running it on Turbo for 15mins and no heat externall at all. This does not seem good to me. whats going on here?

I figured it out. I have a bad Tenergy cell so it was running on 3 cells checked it with the volt meter and got .5V, is this the death toll for this cell? . I have it dumping and recharging now, hopefully I can bring it back or maybe its a bad channel on the new charger? I am getting some bad karma on this light kit so far.
    Last edited by purelite; 06-24-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: updated

It's obvious that the older Fenixes have better tint than the newer.
    I have no luck with all my past Fenix. Two L2P from the luxeon era had the greenish tint, eventually sold them off. My L2D also had the greenish tint. After 3 years of living with it, I decided to pop out the head and drop in a Q5 Neutral emitter. I've read quite a handful of comments about greenish tint on their new lights as well. It does seems to be a characteristic of most Fenix lights and I have stay away from their lights for some time now.

Hmm, must be I got lucky. My LD20 premium R4 has a beautiful cool white tint- or absence of tint.

My TK45 R5 looks a little bit warmer, but even on low it's more of a brownish/white tint..no green at all, and even on next to lowest it looks pure white.

No dust in any of them that I saw.

I bought everything from 4sevens. All my 4sevens Quark AA S2 and Preon S2 have very nice nuetral looking tints. No dust in any of them. Did I just get lucky? Maybe buy from 4sevens and see how your luck goes there? Good for me anyway.
    Led flashlights...|I¤I|Fenix LD20+ Premium R4, TK45|Quark AA/2AA R5&S2 x2, Preon 1/2 S2/ h.CRI x2 |Olight i6 Paladin|Spark SL6-800CW, ST6 500CW headlamp|Xtar S1|Crelant 7G5 V2|Eagletac D25LC2|ZL SC600 MKI b U2|Thrunite TN12 '14|I¤I|

just picked up a tk60 as a retirement present for my boss and had to test the light for the evil green tint it got wrapped up. no green at any level to be found. i didn't see any dust in the reflector either, must have gotten lucky. was holding out to get a tk70 for myself, but the tk60 is a really nice light...might have to roll up some coins to see if i could afford for both.
    it's just different on my planet..

Flashaholic

Once again, does anyone know if the TK60 is regulated on 3 D cells?
    When in doubt, buy both!

Damn, edited the wrong post, now I can't remember what I said... let's see...

You have to understand that when new products come out, the manufacturer is in a hurry to get as many out as possible and supply all their resellers at once. No matter how much experience these guys have, there are bound to be some minor issues with the very first batch or two. If you want a perfect product every time, wait until you reseller receives some of the second/thrid and even fourth batch (hint: keep an eye for out of stock status, then you know they'll have a newer batch). All of my Fenixes are perfect, but I never bought from the first batch.
    Last edited by Cataract; 06-29-2011 at 08:10 AM.
    Cataract,

Shiny things specialist.

None of my Fenix lights have had defects. Send it back to the dealer for a replacement. If the dealer says there are no non-defective lights to replace it with, ask for a refund or an exchange. My point is, we should not have to accept defects that bother us. My TK40 is my favorite light of all time, it has no dust or green tint. Same with my PD30's and my LD10's. Buying from a good dealer is the best thing you can do for yourself. I had a defective Surefire LX2 that came back from Surefire worse than it was when I sent it and my dealer offered a refund, I took an exchange for a TK40 and a PD30, best deal I could have made and I've been smiling ever since. I won't buy from anyone else. Good luck.
    >====>Rocketman
    Fenix TK40, PD30 R2, PD30 R4, LD10 R4 | Streamlight Stinger DS LED, Polystinger LED, Strion LED, Scorpion LED, TL-2 LED | Surefire 6P/M61L | Malkoff MD2, Hound Dog/MD4/McClicky | Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor

The question is, should a green tint and some dust on a reflector be considered defects? These are things I certainly don't want to find in a new light, but I don't think that they should be considered "defects" IMO.
    My Lights Here