XM radio?

CiTY

Enlightened
Hey out there,
Out of personal curiosity, has anybody bought into XM radio, the pay per channel radio satellite service?
I have not heard any non-biased reports as to it's market penetration and profitablility/losses. Since I have not heard anything, I would surmise, that it's going to die?
Anybody know more?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I read somewhere they were struggling a bit financially. I too would be interested in hearing if any members have first hand experience using the service. I sure would have appreciated it growing up in Vermont where I could only hold one or two stations for any length of time while driving.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
XM is amazing. I was skeptical at first but am now a believer. About 20% (I'm just guessing) of GM vehicles come with the XM option. Many customers specifically request it and sign up for the service. The cars come with a free 3 month demo. Since GM bought into it I would be shocked if it goes away.

Aftermarket XM is more problematic because you have to buy the receiver, speakers and then the $9.95 a month service. If you don't change from analog to digital speakers when you buy the receiver the sound is not nearly as good and many customers would be disappointed. There lies the problem, high cost to convert.

IMO XM will make it because GM backs it and others manufactures will soon get onboard.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I have XM-Radio in my 2003 Impala LS Sport. It's well work the $10 per month. I like it for the lack of commercials and for the Nascar channel. It's also nice to be driving from state to state and be able to listen to the same channel all the time, without losing the signal.