Someone Mod My H31

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

I have had a Zebralight H30 since the day it came out and its been great, perfect beam, perfect ui, durable, always works.

I decided to jump on the H31 a couple of weeks after they were released having high expectations seeing as it had roughly double the output, turns out I didnt like the throw style beam it produced. I knew before I got it that the beam wouldnt be like the H30 but didnt think it would have more throw than my RA Clicky.

So what I am looking for is someone to modify the H31 into a H30, I have had no success searching for successful mods or any else who has wanted the same mod so here I am, stuck with what could be my H30's successor, only let down by its reflector design.

Anybody able to take on this challenge, I will pay generously :wave:

PS Its worth noting I have 2 H31's, messing up one might be the only option in the quest to success.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i cut out a diffusor film and stuck it onto the outside of the lens on my H31w. I didnt care for the throwy beam either.

a diffused beam isnt as nice as the all flood beam of the h30 or h501, but its certainly much better than the reflector base beam.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can figure out how to replace the LED, drop in an xm-l.
An use the etched lens.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Anyone opened one up?
The only ZL vault I'm aware of that has been successfully cracked is the SC600 - a completely different design. Because of the unibody design and the press fit bezel any attempt would probably ruin the light in the process.... I know, not what you wanted to hear. I could be wrong, but I've searched the forums before... You might try the modder's forum?

The cost of the modification, even if possible, would likely approach that of a new H31F (concentrated flood). If full flood is desired the H302 (XM-L) is due first quarter of 2012...

- Jas.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that Zebralights are just about disassembly-proof. Easiest is for you to sell your H31 and get a replacement with a floodier beam. But if not, then some sort of external modification is in order. Like you, I've not been able to get tape to work to satisfaction, but you could try diffusion film, if that's not enough, try it in combination with spraying the lens with "window frost" (sold at HD). All said and done it would just be easier to sell and rebuy a floody version.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok so it looks like my only option is putting something on the lens.

Best place to find this diffusion film, in the UK or someone selling it here

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks I thought I had seen that sales thread, do they just stick on the lens like tape. How durable is it

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks I thought I had seen that sales thread, do they just stick on the lens like tape. How durable is it

the film is not thin, and is quite stiff.

you will have to cut out a piece, and stick it onto the lens. it took me 3 tries to cut out a good circle that fit well over my lens.