Tri-v waterproofness?

helios123

Enlightened
Hey guys

Im really bothered by the fact that the tri-v is not waterproof..i want to at leaat be able use my light in the rain..i hope the tri-v2 will be waterproof..

Edit: i think i should ask this first..how watertight is the tri-v? Ia it rain/shower proof? How bout a little dunk?

Last edited:

blackfly

Enlightened
I ran my 007 under running water to clean it once. It is o-ring sealed and should be safe to expose to some water. I assumed the Tri-V was the same. Did you read somewhere that it is not? If so, I would like to know too.

Last edited:

helios123

Enlightened
I ran my 007 under running water to clean it once. It is o-ring sealed and should be safe to expose to some water. I assumed the Tri-V was the same. Did you read somewhere that it is not? If so, I would like to know too.

I remember Dave saying that it is not waterproof, but if you do get it wet then wait until it's completely fry before using it..can somebody clarify this? My only concern is that whether it's rain / shower proof or not..

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason the Tri V, version 1, is not rated as waterproof/resistant, is the exposed flood emitter. I don' think water directly on that would be a good thing.
Not sure on the V2, but with the flood, I believe this will be covered, so it should be more water friendly.

helios123

Enlightened
I just want to be able to use the light in rain in case of emergency..even better if it is at least 1m dunk proof..the thing is all the parts have o rings..the only exposed part is fhe flood emitter..i hope dave would fix this on the v2 and make it rain proof. What a shame the flood emitter is the only thing making it not waterproof..

helios123

Enlightened
I've emailed dave about this..lets see what he says. I'll let you guys know after i get a definite answer from him

Last edited:

derangboy

Enlightened
I dropped my tri-v on a frozen puddle this winter. Somehow, a little moisture got behind the aspheric lens. 20 minutes in warm air cleared it up just fine. I've also had it out in a downpour with no evidence of water entering the case.:shrug:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tri-V is not a water proof light. I recommend you keep it dry. If it gets wet, no big deal, just open it and dry it out.

Cheers
Dave

helios123

Enlightened
I dropped my tri-v on a frozen puddle this winter. Somehow, a little moisture got behind the aspheric lens. 20 minutes in warm air cleared it up just fine. I've also had it out in a downpour with no evidence of water entering the case.:shrug:

Were you using the light in the rain or did you have it somewhere else?

derangboy

Enlightened
It was on and in my hand. The rain came as a sudden downpour for a few minutes. Being aimed down was probably the next best thing to putting it away, but we were chasing rally cars!

helios123

Enlightened
It was on and in my hand. The rain came as a sudden downpour for a few minutes. Being aimed down was probably the next best thing to putting it away, but we were chasing rally cars!

So how long did you actually have it out in the rain?

How do you love your tri-v? :) i only currently have a 007 and i love it except for the really small lanyard hole..

derangboy

Enlightened
The rain only lasted 2-3 minutes which felt like an eternity. The Tri-V is my most used light in nearly every circumstance. The distinct beam profiles and the ability to have an extremely low output are the biggest benefits for me. The programmability simply puts light were you want it, when you want it. Can't ask for much more!

helios123

Enlightened
The rain only lasted 2-3 minutes which felt like an eternity. The Tri-V is my most used light in nearly every circumstance. The distinct beam profiles and the ability to have an extremely low output are the biggest benefits for me. The programmability simply puts light were you want it, when you want it. Can't ask for much more!

Im happy to hear this but im confused now, dave told me that the light isnt waterproof and didnt recommend using it in the rain..

light-in

Newly Enlightened
Any updates on Tri-V2 water resistance?
Thanks.

I'd love to have one of these too. That's a real masterpiece.

Last edited by a moderator: