Black Moon LTD
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192223242526272829

Thread: Fenix TK-70

Default Re: Fenix TK-70

Here is the highest runtime on Turbo I could get, using the best 4 Tenergy D blue label batteries (8,708 mah 8,603 mah 8,556 mah 8,410 mah): 1 hour 10 minutes 35 seconds until light drops to high from turbo.

Are you guys with the better quality 10,000 mah Tenergy batteries getting runtimes of 1 hour 15 minutes or more on turbo with 4 of those batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    Here is the highest runtime on Turbo I could get, using the best 4 Tenergy D blue label batteries (8,708 mah 8,603 mah 8,556 mah 8,410 mah): 1 hour 10 minutes 35 seconds until light drops to high from turbo.

Are you guys with the better quality 10,000 mah Tenergy batteries getting runtimes of 1 hour 15 minutes or more on turbo with 4 of those batteries?
    I have four 10,000 mah Tenergies in my TK70. I did several times tests after I got my light. 78 min was the best I could get, as per this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...t=#post3822437
    Eagletac P20C2 MKII, T20C2 MKII, T20C2 MKII & T100C2 MK II - Inova XO3 - Solarforce L2P & L2M - Jetbeam BC40 - Lumapower Trust 2 - C30 Flood-to-Throw AAA

So I got 7 less minutes with my blue label crappy Tenergys, I'm satisfied with my Tenergies then for the price I paid, I guess.

I bought and received on Saturday another spare D cell adapter for the TK70. I did a runtime test with my best 5 blue label Tenergys and the TK70 stepped down from turbo to high in 1 hour 31 minutes. There was barely a squeal the last few minutes. This makes me happy because (1) the loud annoying sqeal is gone from the last 25 minutes of turbo mode (if I was running just 4 D cells) and (2) the light now lasts to 1.5 hours. This is perfect for snorkeling at night as we rarely go out past 1 hour 20 minutes or so unless we canoe up to another point in the river. I'll just bring a separate light to trek up and down river in the canoe so that takes care of that.

Flashaholic

I read elsewhere on the list that Fenix is getting ready to release a battery pack for the TK70.
    Has anyone else heard of it?

Quote Originally Posted by walterr839 View Post
    I read elsewhere on the list that Fenix is getting ready to release a battery pack for the TK70.
    Has anyone else heard of it?
    Read it here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...TK70-is-coming

Just got a TK70 and a set of four 10,000 mah Tenergy premium batteries. Runtime in turbo was 1 hour 23 minutes on the first discharge for these cells.

Hi, Firstly a brief background. I have been using spotlights for my work for over 20 years, originaly 12vlt sealed beam units, then Halogen bulbed of various types (Lightforce ect) Recent experiences with LED lensor and then Fenix torchs the likes of the TK35 made me realise there would be some great advantages to be had in light colour (white light) weight, variable power setting, power consumption ect of this type of light modified into a helmet mounted spotlight with a seperate battery pack. The Tk41 was chosen for my first experiment for its beam range ect. In short what I done was shorten battery tube so there was just enough length to attach a bracket for mounting on helmet, hard wired the head unit with cable going out through hole drilled in original tail cap with cable gland used and the tail cap refitted. So imagine a short bodied TK41 with a cable hanging out to attach to seperate power source. It has been a resounding success and has done many hundreds of hours work already using a 8.4 vlt 7000Mah Li-ion battery pack designed for running Twin LED magic shine type cycle lights. Run time on Turbo mode is 3.15 hrs and on high have no idea except does 7hrs plus which is the longest time used before recharging for next nights use. Now the reason I have posted in the TK70 thread is looking for the B-all light I have just converted a TK70 the same way so it can be interchaged with the TK41 for occassions when I need even more light and range. The problem I have is it works perfectly except will not go into Turbo mode with the Li-ion battery pack so I tried a sealed acid 6vlt 12 amp hr battery thinking it may be a current draw issue but still no turbo mode...Any ideas where I have gone wrong? I am not electrical engineer just tinkerer, so maybe something obvious? Thanks for any input. Phil.

Flashaholic

I'm so happy I didn't buy this flashlight.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Phil spotlight View Post
    The problem I have is it works perfectly except will not go into Turbo mode with the Li-ion battery pack so I tried a sealed acid 6vlt 12 amp hr battery thinking it may be a current draw issue but still no turbo mode...Any ideas where I have gone wrong? I am not electrical engineer just tinkerer, so maybe something obvious? Thanks for any input. Phil.
    TK70 draws more than 30W of power in the turbo mode. So you should check the wires and connectors if there is not too much contact resistance.

Hi, Thanks for your spot on advice... (Pun intented) I changed to a 50% heavier gauge of cable and now have functioning Turbo mode. Times like this you really appreciate forums like this and the people who take their time to help..Thanks again Phil.

Enlightened

This topic had been hugely useful for me. Thanks to all those who shared invaluable information. Here is my contribution:

I have 8 Tenergy Premium (white) batteries. After breaking-in them and matching them in 2 sets of 4, the best runtime I obtained, so far, is 90 mins 36 secs until my TK70 drops from Turbo to High.

The charger in question is a MH-C808M. I had been conditioning and charging the batteries on regular (rapid) mode and the best runtime was 88 mins (87 mins 59 secs). Soft charging increased this to the above mentioned 90 mins 36 secs. I don't know if this is a significant increase or if the increase will be consistent but I just wanted to let you guys know. BTW, at the soft charge setting, the charger didn't skip the termination: cut-off was very consistent.

Default Fenix TK-70

I have Fenix TK70 on order

For those of you who have the TK70, and have used it for a while, how do you like it?
    Last edited by Norm; 04-18-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2HB View Post

For those of you who have the TK70, and have used it for a while, how do you like it?
    Like it a lot bit heavy yes, but fun to play around with

Flashaholic*

I surprised to see that the TK70 has been removed from the new Fenix website. I'm wondering if it's an error due to maintenance or if the light has been really discontinued. Even the TK60 is still there!

Quote Originally Posted by Labrador72 View Post
    I surprised to see that the TK70 has been removed from the new Fenix website. I'm wondering if it's an error due to maintenance or if the light has been really discontinued. Even the TK60 is still there!
    Think it's been discontinued. Wished that Fenix has a "old"light section on their website where all their older models are still visible.

Flashaholic*

I'd really like that too! I saw somebody saying they had mailed to Fenix about it and they replied they planned to do it in the future but didn't specify when "in the future" would be.

I bought a pre-loved TK70 on the MP a month or so ago, and it's delightful. Sure it's long and heavy, but I didn't buy it for 5 mile hikes.

Default Fenix TK-70

Quote Originally Posted by M2HB View Post

The TK70 always leaves me amazed. I use it with the shoulder strap on hour long walks with the dog. Leave your high beams on going 60 and I'll give you a reminder to show some courtesy.
    It is actually easier to carry my TK70 than it is to carry my TN31. They are both big lights and no shoulder strap for the Thrunite.
    Probably the D cell battery and issues with using alkalines is the reason the light is discontinued.

Flashaholic

Anybody have a li-on battery adapter for it yet? I seem to recall seeing a prototype that adapted the
    TK75 handle to the TK 70 head a while back?

My TK70 arrived. It is absolutley amazing. It may be discontinued, but I sure like it so far.

Flashaholic*

The TK70 is a great light. I also buy older Fenix lights all the time: great deals and outside isn't darker now than it was a couple of years ago!

I have had mine for over 12months now and am still loving it. I am using Medion D cells giving about an hour on Turbo. I have measured the tail cap draw and it reads a little more than 11amps. Anyone else have info like this on their own TK70?

Quote Originally Posted by ssideup View Post
    I have had mine for over 12months now and am still loving it. I am using Medion D cells giving about an hour on Turbo. I have measured the tail cap draw and it reads a little more than 11amps. Anyone else have info like this on their own TK70?
    I did check it when I reviewed the TK70 long time ago, my copy draws slightly less:
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    I did check it when I reviewed the TK70 long time ago, my copy draws slightly less:
    HKJ, why must the wattage increase with falling voltage for the brightness to be held constant? I thought that brightness is proportional to wattage

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    HKJ, why must the wattage increase with falling voltage for the brightness to be held constant? I thought that brightness is proportional to wattage

The brightness is proportional to the power that reaches the led, not to the power used from the battery, i.e. the culprit is driver efficiency!
    It is probably due to the higher current, i.e. driver efficiency goes down with increasing current.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    The brightness is proportional to the power that reaches the led, not to the power used from the battery,
    Oh okay, that makes sense
    Thanks for the evaluation!

I sold this light a while back on ebay and dont miss it a bit. The thing was HUGE!!!. Fenix must be embarassed of that thing. I too noticed that its been removed from the website even though older lights are still in their lineup.
    Fenix TK-70, TK41, TK-45, TK-40, NiteCore D20. They all run on AAs, Love IT! (except the TK-70) which is going out in favor of JetBeam RRT-3 XML, Yep I invested in 18650s

Quote Originally Posted by xoomercom View Post
    I sold this light a while back on ebay and dont miss it a bit. The thing was HUGE!!!. Fenix must be embarassed of that thing. I too noticed that its been removed from the website even though older lights are still in their lineup.
    I still got it and I like it
    Yeah it's big and heavy, but the light it puts out still puts a real big smile on my face

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192223242526272829