RofisLight        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photon Proton Pro: Under appreciated?

Flashaholic*

Default Photon Proton Pro: Under appreciated?

I've pulled my Proton Pro out recently and have been using it a lot more. It's actually a pretty unique light and seems under appreciated for some reason...I rarely see it mentioned anywhere.

I just had the AA lithium that was in it go out and I was surprised at how bright it was down to the end. The light isn't regulated but I guess that's just the nature of lithium batteries.

I've also recently opened up the head and cut some diffusion material and dropped it between the reflector and lens. It comes with a SMO reflector and a XR-E (I believe) anyway it has the typical Cree rings when used with a SMO reflector. It's a small enough light that I don't really use it as a thrower so with the diffusion material it's become much more useful (to me).

It's got a ring on the tail so it can either be used on a key chain or worn necklace style under the shirt (or clipped of course). It's got a button on the side with infinite brightness (hi to low). It also has a red LED and in that mode it ramps low to high.

I had forgotten that there is a way to engage it in 3 minute auto shut off mode. It also has beacon/SOS/rapid flashing and Morse Code modes.

Total length is only the length of 2 AA's (only uses 1 however). I think I purchased mine for about $40. It also has a GITD o-ring between the lens and the reflector.

For those who do care more about having a small light that throws it does that pretty well too.

I don't know why I don't hear more about it these days. Perhaps it's just because it isn't new anymore but I thought I'd mention it in this post for those who may not have heard of it.

It wasn't all that popular when I bought mine but it was a post like this that first let me know that there was such a beast

For me this makes a good backup light for hiking/camping or doing anything outdoors. I still mainly use a headlamp but having this on a necklace in a camping situation makes it a pretty versatile light. Since it gets down to .2 lumens in white mode it can run for a long time even though it only uses 1 AA battery. It can get even lower in red LED mode.
    Last edited by gcbryan; 06-26-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Default Re: Photon Proton Pro: Under appreciated?

Quote Originally Posted by gcbryan View Post

I don't know why I don't hear more about it these days. Perhaps it's just because it isn't new anymore but I thought I'd mention it in this post for those who may not have heard of it.

It wasn't all that popular when I bought mine but it was a post like this that first let me know that there was such a beast

For me this makes a good backup light for hiking/camping or doing anything outdoors. I still mainly use a headlamp but having this on a necklace in a camping situation makes it a pretty versatile light. Since it gets down to .2 lumens in white mode it can run for a long time even though it only uses 1 AA battery. It can get even lower in red LED mode.

The reason we don't hear much about this light on CPF?

Probably because it doesn't conform to the predominant CPF opinion of what a flashlight should look like: anodized aluminum tube with "tactical" tail switch.

That, and the fact that it doesn't have the latest, greatest emitter capable of an output of 500 lumens for 5 minutes while running a 14500 cell. ;>

Many of the lights that I find most useful are largely ignored on CPF, because they aren't "sexy" and have more modest ouputs.

I've always thought the Proton Pro looked like a great light with unique capabilities for outdoor use. Nearly ordered one a few years back, but they had quality control problems with the light early in production.

By the time they had fixed the bugs in the Proton Pro I'd aleady ordered something else: Streamlight Sidewinder which provided most of the Proton Pro's capabilities for low level illumination with white and color LEDs.

Flashaholic*

Agree, adding some diffuser makes this a much better light. The red light in particular is much better diffused.

It is very compact and one of the few lights that I actually like the clip. Very easy to carry.

Thanks for bringing this up - mine's been in a drawer for a while, but I've just fished it out again - it would be fun to start using it again for a while.

I own and have used this light regularly as a backup since I first got one. However today LRI makes tiny keychain lights with infinite brightness settings for around $10. They use cr2016 batteries, are much brighter than the Photon Pro and the beam is much smoother.
    Mine has an electronic switch and a stated run time of 12 hours. I like to keep it clipped to the sheath of whatever I am carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen View Post
    I own and have used this light regularly as a backup since I first got one. However today LRI makes tiny keychain lights with infinite brightness settings for around $10. They use cr2016 batteries, are much brighter than the Photon Pro and the beam is much smoother.
    Mine has an electronic switch and a stated run time of 12 hours. I like to keep it clipped to the sheath of whatever I am carrying.
    I just bought the most recent edition of the proton pro (Cree Q5 I believe) about a month ago, and it has been my daily carry ever since. I don't know of any CR2016 based light that is brighter than the proton pro, or anywhere even close. The new proton pro is at least 110 lumens and I don't believe there is any CR2016 based light anywhere near that bright. I would like to see a link to such a light or a model number. I would buy a couple immediately.

Thanks

Bill
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Here is a link:
    http://www.photonlight.com/products/...lashlight.html

My pro is also 115 lumens and this is much brighter. Battery Junction has nice discounts on these.

I like and still carry the Pro model. A easy light to mod as well. Changing emitters, both Cree and 3mm , isn't difficult. Want a white 3mm led, or a xpg? Open it up.. void the warranty and make it yours. A great light at a very nice price point.

Found this excellent and helpful thread, if anyone is interested: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Proton-driver
    Last edited by nightshade; 06-27-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added CPF link

Flashaholic

The proton pro was very popular here when it fist came out. I got mine based on good reviews here. That was a out 3 1/2 years ago. I think we dont here about them as much because they have been slower about updating to the newest and most recent emitter. I have to say LRI has awesome customer service! I sent my light with a worn out switch in and had it returned within a week!

I'd love to take a Proton Pro and get another reflector and emitter to make it neutral and floody. Shouldn't be too hard to drill a hole in the side for the red emitter and either leave it, or swap it for a UV emitter. The main thing I didn't like with mine was the blue tint and super narrow beam pattern and this would solve both as well as give the option to either leave in the red or change to whatever other emitter was desired.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I rarely use mine due to the white LED light not coming on low first. Do the new ones have a better UI or is it the same? Also is there a newer brass spring that doesn't crush and dent battery cells?

They have a great clip and I like the red.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    I rarely use mine due to the white LED light not coming on low first. Do the new ones have a better UI or is it the same? Also is there a newer brass spring that doesn't crush and dent battery cells?
    White starts on high and red starts on low. Don't know about the spring (haven't noticed a problem).

I still use mine occasionally, and it stays loaded. One of my old favorites actually. Very nice deep pocket clip. It's UI with red and white available makes it unique.

Geoff

Flashaholic

I love mine and use it all the time around the house. I used it a bunch during a two-day blackout this winter and use it almost nightly when closing the chicken coop, taking the dogs out, etc...It's not tactical, but how often do we need to be tactical? I have other lights to look for and defend against bad guys, but for the rest of the time, the Proton Pro is one of my favorites. Even better is the fact I got it for Christmas this past December and thought "what the heck is this?" It's a light I never would have purchased myself and it's really won me over. Hearing about mod potential has me even more excited!

Here is a link:

My pro is also 115 lumens and this is much brighter. Battery Junction has nice discounts on these.
    If your Pro is dimmer than the 5mm LED light you linked to, then you have a very defective pro. The light you linked to cannot be more than 10-20 lumens. Maybe I mis-understood your post. Wouldn't be the first time for me. lol

Bill
    Last edited by Hitthespot; 06-27-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Hitthespot View Post
    If your Pro is dimmer than the 5mm LED light you linked to, then you have a very defective pro. The light you linked to cannot be more than 10-20 lumens. Maybe I mis-understood your post. Wouldn't be the first time for me. lol

Bill
    I was in error, you see, my photon is the UV/White version while everyone else in this thread has a White/Red light. The white led of my light is only rated at about 10 lumens. I checked on this last night but did not think anyone would care.

I love the Proton Pro. Small sized and has lots of modes. Only thing I dislike is the copper? at the tailcap which create a dent on most of my eneloops.
    Zebralight SC52W L2, Fenix LD25, E11, E12, HL50 & HL30 , Gerber IU, Nitecore MH20, SRT 5 & D11, Thrunite TN12, Eagletac P25 & P25LC2 Diffuser, Olight S1 Baton, Convoy S4, Thorfire PF3, BLF A6, Sunwayman C22C, Ayup MTB Light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    I love the Proton Pro. Small sized and has lots of modes. Only thing I dislike is the copper? at the tailcap which create a dent on most of my eneloops.
    +1 How are you and I the only ones experiencing this? I asked this question if maybe newer versions have an improved spring that doesn't dent cells and all I heard was the sound of crickets. I'd gladly buy a new Proton Pro if they fixed the brass hard spring into an actual spring

I've got a number of dented batteries, too. I won't put others in it now, not that it would really matter. That spring sure doesn't "give" much, but then good contact is never a problem.

Geoff

Smile Re: Photon Proton Pro: Under appreciated?

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    I'd gladly buy a new Proton Pro if they fixed the brass hard spring into an actual spring
    Don't buy a new one if your just looking for a brighter one. I swear I don't think my new version is any brighter than my first one, which was two versions ago, IIRC.
    This light would be my perfect EDC if it was only around 40 - 50 lumens brighter.

Bill
    Albert Einstein

Sorry I am lost here or is it I am that tired. The Pro uses 1 x AA. I have two Pro's, 1 x REX (which is a great light albiet low run time) and 5 x standard model 1 Photons and 1 x Freedom. None of the CR2016 or 2032 lights are as bright as the Pro. I think for keychain lights (miniaturised) you cannot beat a Photon Freedom. But as much as I like the Pro the switch is a little to hard to locate so I was happy when I got my Zebra light SC51. I will say however that Photon has a lifetime warranty on all products and I have tested that with 2 issues and there were no questions asked. Their customer service and desire to help customers is second to none and probably the best there is.
    'AN EDUCATED BUY IS A GOOD BUY'

Flashaholic*

Its 40 dollars for an outdated light with outdated emitter. Im sure it is fine and all, but CPF typically DOES focus on the "sexy" lights with new emitters and lots of lumen capability, or custom made ones.
    I mean, who wants to talk about normal old lights? But at least the normal maglites and such are cheap.

This one is expensive, low output, fairly low efficiency, unregulated, and just doesn't have any real features that make it appealing, vs the newer better lights.

Had mine modded with a XPG and little green led. Love the thing. Fourty dollars is cheap, to me. The mod cost more than the light. Still cheap, to me. And well worth it,to me.

Here is a link:

Seems they still have the nice discount. How can I be sure that I'm getting the latest greatest updated model and not a older model of the Photon Pro?
    When was the last time they made any changes to the Photon Pro?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by appliancejunk View Post
    Seems they still have the nice discount. How can I be sure that I'm getting the latest greatest updated model and not a older model of the Photon Pro?
    When was the last time they made any changes to the Photon Pro?
    It's been several years since the last change so you'll get the "latest" I'm sure. It went from a lumen output of 85-115 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gcbryan View Post
    I've pulled my Proton Pro out recently and have been using it a lot more. It's actually a pretty unique light and seems under appreciated for some reason...I rarely see it mentioned anywhere.

I just had the AA lithium that was in it go out and I was surprised at how bright it was down to the end. The light isn't regulated but I guess that's just the nature of lithium batteries.

I've also recently opened up the head and cut some diffusion material and dropped it between the reflector and lens. It comes with a SMO reflector and a XR-E (I believe) anyway it has the typical Cree rings when used with a SMO reflector. It's a small enough light that I don't really use it as a thrower so with the diffusion material it's become much more useful (to me).

It's got a ring on the tail so it can either be used on a key chain or worn necklace style under the shirt (or clipped of course). It's got a button on the side with infinite brightness (hi to low). It also has a red LED and in that mode it ramps low to high.

I had forgotten that there is a way to engage it in 3 minute auto shut off mode. It also has beacon/SOS/rapid flashing and Morse Code modes.

Total length is only the length of 2 AA's (only uses 1 however). I think I purchased mine for about $40. It also has a GITD o-ring between the lens and the reflector.

For those who do care more about having a small light that throws it does that pretty well too.

+1 .......... I neck lanyard carry mine. It is a great little light. I have found it priced from $37.95 to $69.95. I'm surprised the company has not released a larger version of this light. They seem to focus on keychain style lights.

I still love mine but it's got it's tradeoffs. It's a unique interface with the side switch and control for the 2 LEDs. It's got it's issues though and if you don't like the choices in the UI or don't use the red... well then it's just unique not useful.

I picked up a Photon Pro for 30ish USD about 2.5 years ago. I loved everything about it. It was a user and it was abused. The first thing to go was the rubber boot on the switch. The outer edges started to flake and fall off. No biggy as the light still functioned fine until it eventually started acting weird. Sometimes it wouldn't turn on or off. I figured the switch was going bad. I would have to hit it in the palm of my hand to get a response from the switch until that stopped working.. Then it was on to hard surfaces and I knew it would die from this abuse. It eventually stopped working completely.

This was my perfect work light! I haven't heard anything about this little jewel until now. Does anyone know if they fixed the switch? I would buy another in a heartbeat if it would only last...
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

Diablo... LRI has a lifetime warranty as long as it's not abuse. If you still have the old one...

http://www.photonlight.com/pages/Pho...y-Service.html

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo_331 View Post
    I picked up a Photon Pro for 30ish USD about 2.5 years ago. I loved everything about it. It was a user and it was abused. The first thing to go was the rubber boot on the switch. The outer edges started to flake and fall off. No biggy as the light still functioned fine until it eventually started acting weird. Sometimes it wouldn't turn on or off. I figured the switch was going bad. I would have to hit it in the palm of my hand to get a response from the switch until that stopped working.. Then it was on to hard surfaces and I knew it would die from this abuse. It eventually stopped working completely.

This was my perfect work light! I haven't heard anything about this little jewel until now. Does anyone know if they fixed the switch? I would buy another in a heartbeat if it would only last...
    I've had mine about that long so I'm not sure if anything has changed since then but when they made their last improvements supposedly they started using an improved rubber for that switch button. I think the switch itself was not changed however.
    Last edited by gcbryan; 09-25-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast