Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photon Proton Pro: Under appreciated?

Default Re: Photon Proton Pro: Under appreciated?

I think the Icon Rogue 1 is a tough competitor to this light, personally...the machining is beautiful on it!

Quote Originally Posted by seanwilliams78 View Post
    I think the Icon Rogue 1 is a tough competitor to this light, personally...the machining is beautiful on it!
    Not sure I see the comparison. I'd see a D11 as a close competitor for those drawn to the ramping UI but not interested in the red capability or side switch on the Proton Pro. Not really much out there that covers more than a chunk of the Proton Pro's unique functionality.

I have to admit an emotional bias slips in at the idea of comparing a light I am fond of, warts and all, with the Rogue that almost universally makes me . Guess that's just a sign of how wonderful it is having lots of choices so we can all find what works.

Quote Originally Posted by baterija View Post
    Not sure I see the comparison. I'd see a D11 as a close competitor for those drawn to the ramping UI but not interested in the red capability or side switch on the Proton Pro. Not really much out there that covers more than a chunk of the Proton Pro's unique functionality.
    It would be hard to think of a worse comparison than the Rogue 1 and the Proton Pro. Like you said, maybe the ramping of the Nitecores; maybe the red emitter of the 85r, and maybe the compactness of the EZ-AA, but the Proton Pro package hasn't been emulated anywhere that I've seen.

Wish they'd come up with a floodier, warmer version, which would have me buying another, but even without the changes, they remain uncontested for their particular piece of ground.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Enlightened

Since I collect lights this one particularly gets my interest because of Photons role in bringing good keychain
    lights to the masses . I dig the user interface and have purchased two thus far(gave one to father in law) ,
    I wish the price was lower as I paid 70 for the first one and 37 for the second (no time to shop around being it
    was late December) I like that it's different and small with no memory and still ramps down . The red led is a plus
    though I rarely use it , I love AA lights though they are hard to hold on to because they are prime recipients for
    gifts because of their size and battery type . I would like to have at least three of these for future stash.

I still keep my Proton Pro in regular rotation as my EDC. Despite not having been updated in years, it's still a fantastic light. Extremely happy with mine. Button wore down and LRI fixed it quickly at no charge. Great customer service.

I've long thought about getting another one to have a better emitter installed and the UI is still an excellent design.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

It would be interesting to see an upgraded version and what enhancement they might make. I have really come to appreciate having a red light option since getting the Nitecore EC2.

Flashaholic*

Agree, an upgraded version would be great - they wouldn't need to change much either:

1. XP-G2 with about 200 Lumens

2. Get rid of the PWM

3. 660 nm (i.e actually red) for the red LED instead of the orange 630 nm

That's all they need to change.

I'm using an old holster from an early Photon Proton to hold an MBI HF 10440 body with a Nichia Zoomhead.

CandlePowerForums App

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    Agree, an upgraded version would be great - they wouldn't need to change much either:

1. XP-G2 with about 200 Lumens

2. Get rid of the PWM

3. 660 nm (i.e actually red) for the red LED instead of the orange 630 nm

That's all they need to change.
    That sounds just about right and I think they could really put the light back on the map with just those simple upgrades.

Sure, they'd have to re-engineer the engine itself, but the payoff could be substantial.

I really liked mine and carried it often until the switch cover disintegrated. Got it replaced under warranty with some great customer service but the new switch is alot hard to activate so the light kind of went out of favor for other offerings coming in the mail.

Carried mine today with an Eneloop in honor of seeing this thread on the front page...

Flashaholic*

Company says they are working on a tailswitch version of the Proton Pro, but no timing available.

I wonder if there is a hidden UI mode that would convert high to low, to low to high?

Bill

Flashaholic*

I have one somewhere. It started getting a little flaky and I need to send it in, but I have to find it again.
    --Jason--
    #67/#39

Flashaholic

I still have mine and really like it, but my Uncle, who also gifted me the Proton Pro for Christmas several years ago, gave me a Nitecore MT10A this year for Christmas, and it's definitely an improvement on the same idea. If Proton is making an improved tail switch version, hopefully they've looked at the MT10A as something to beat!

Anyone still own/use a Proton Pro?
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Anyone still own/use a Proton Pro?
    It's been years since I sold mine but I've always wanted to get another and replace the emitter and reflector. Great and innovative UI, not to mention the LED combo.

The Proton Pro is one of the only "CPF" lights that I ever had a non-flashaholic show me. I was looking at lights with a friend who's a pilot, without ever having mentioned any values, and he shows me that he's got this incredible little light that can emit either red, or white light, and as a result, was unfathomably expensive, having cost him $50. As a pilot, he decided that if he ever lost it, he'd get another one.

I imagine a Proton Pro with a Nichia 219 paired to a smoother reflector and an amber LED in place of the red.

I still have a couple of mine. Rarely use them though.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic*

I bought the Photon for the red, but a few user errors where I wasted my night adapted eyes with the white high instead of the lowest red put me off. I ended up with a Surefire F05 on my HDS which comes on low-low, about 0.1 lumens works much more consistently. I thought about disabling the white completely in the Photon, but that project keeps falling to the bottom of the list.
    Looking for something, use a handheld. Actually doing something, you need a headlamp.

Flashaholic*

A new version with a high CRI Nicha paired with an amber secondary LED sounds great to me!
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Have there been any changes to the Pro over the last 3-5 years does anyone know?

See this.

Bill

edit: Not sure if the early Pro's were rated at 115 lumens.
    Last edited by Bullzeyebill; 01-13-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    See this.

Bill

edit: Not sure if the early Pro's were rated at 115 lumens.
    They're still going strong apparently and I really liked how quick they were to respond to customer complaints with warranty repair. I might have to go ahead and get another one.

Thanks. I think they've been using that same 2w Cree from almost inception of the Pro.

It's still a great light.

I have a photon freedom that has been an outstanding light. I love the ramping freedom ui and hope that with lights such as the emisar d series this feature will be more common.

I really like the idea of the proton pro, especially if they offered it with a blue secondary led for detecting fluid leaks. My guess is that would be a top seller among mechanics. My only reservation is that $70 seems a little steep in today’s market. Am I way off base here?

Quote Originally Posted by sc00ts19 View Post
    I have a photon freedom that has been an outstanding light. I love the ramping freedom ui and hope that with lights such as the emisar d series this feature will be more common.

I really like the idea of the proton pro, especially if they offered it with a blue secondary led for detecting fluid leaks. My guess is that would be a top seller among mechanics. My only reservation is that $70 seems a little steep in today’s market. Am I way off base here?
    Not at all. The price of the Pro has always been the biggest complaint. The 2nd biggest complaint us them not keeping up with LED technology.

That being said, I still have my Pro that I use from time to time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12