H51/H31 vs. Petzl Tikka XP2 advice request

jsj42

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I currently use a Petzl Tikka XP2. I'm considering upgrading to a smaller, lighter, brighter... basically better headlamp and I'm wondering if either the H51 or H31 would warrant such an upgrade.

1) I'm wondering if they are slightly/noticeably/significantly brighter.

2) I've been happy with the Tikka XP2's color, so I'm curious if I'd be happy with the regular H51 or H31, or would I want to go with the "w" versions?

3) I use my Tikka primarily for hiking, scrambling, camp chores, and reading and I'd say that 90 percent of the time I have the diffuser engaged. Only occasionally do I need to spot a distant object. Would I be happy with the regular H51 or H31 or would the "f" versions be better for me?

Thanks for your input!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be interested in the comparisons as well. I know the XP2. I've never actually seen the Zebralight.

The Zebralight will be brighter. It won't be any lighter (.1 oz) and is larger in length but smaller in hight.

Are there times when the XP2 wasn't bright enough for you?

If you primarily (90% of the time) use the diffuser then I would think the floody model is what you want. It still has a hotspot (looking at Bolster's thread). I can't imagine that you'd want more of a hotspot than that. However, if you are used to diffused light 90% of the time you might not be happy with this either.

Do you ever use the red LED on the XP2?

The run time won't be as long on the Zebralight since even though 1 AA is efficient 3 AAA's still have more capacity and the Zebralight also has higher output potential and thus shorter run time potential.

I may pick up a Zebralight some day as well so I'm interested in your decisions/thinking and the responses this thread will get.

I would have a hard time hiking/camping with a totally floody headlamp and yet I don't know that I'd like to look at a hotspot all the time either. So far this is why I don't have a Zebralight.

I'm not willing to have to add a diffuser for up close use and then to have to remove it and keep track of it for other uses. I'm also not sure of the headband and holder compared to XP2 type mounts.

Last edited:

jsj42

Newly Enlightened
To be perfectly honest, a major motivating factor for me making the move is battery types - the Tikka is the only thing I have that uses AAA's. I'm going on an 800 mile backcountry hike with minimal contact with civilization. I don't want to carry extra batteries or be dependent upon making it to my resupplies for fresh... I have a good solar panel though so one option would be using it to recharge AAA's, or perhaps getting the CORE which might work better for me - the solar panel could also charge AA's or rcr123A's of the H51 and H31 though.

It's not clear in your post if you're talking about H51's or 31's... If the specs on ZebraLight's site are to be believed, the H31 is a fair bit lighter than the Tikka factoring in batteries. Also, both headlamps have seemingly significantly higher outputs and longer run times than the Tikka - but that's why I'm posting here asking for input.

In terms of ergonomics, intuitively I think the ZebraLights would ride better on my head because they rest closer - the Tikka XP2 has a fair bit of mass sticking out. It's not a problem for me - don't know if the CORE would make it one.

I don't use the red light on the Tikka - it works, sure, but I never need to take bathroom breaks once I'm asleep, and I'm not going to cook or read by red light. In terms of flood vs. spot, spot is only useful to me when I'm looking for landmarks. I like to hike at night, and when climbing I'm often beginning or finishing at night, but if I'm going to be in places where navigation is highly uncertain, I'm probably going to wait for daylight anyway. Spot is blinding when doing up-close work, and I find it can even be distracting looking at the trail just ahead of me... Flood is a safer bet (for me).

No, I haven't had problems with the Tikka XP's brightness... with fresh batteries. But it seems to fade pretty darn fast... This is another appeal of the regulated, and brighter?, ZebraLights... But again, maybe the CORE would help here.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impressive trip you've got planned there by the way!

I was referring to the H51F so you make a good point regarding the H31F and weight.

I haven't been able to find a lot of first hand reports/reviews on the H51F or beamshots but from what I have been able to find it appears that the H51F still has a hotspot just not as defined as the regular H51 but I'm not sure if that is correct or not.

There is just not a lot of clarity in what I'm reading. If you or anyone else has found better reviews and beamshots of the H51F please post a link.

If the H51F is like a diffused spot so no spot but a directed beam then I'd be a lot more interested as that beam at a lower level could be used around camp as well. If it still has a spot of some sort it would be irritating. If it's pure flood and doesn't throw more than 20 feet then that's not quite good enough for me on night hikes in the mountains.

Hopefully, someone can provide more info. Most of the multi-page threads on this subject never get around to an actual review.

Last edited:

jsj42

Newly Enlightened
Well, since the H51F is exactly the same as the H51 except that it has frosted glass, what you're saying is likely. But here we are, two clueless people trying to convince themselves. Hopefully someone who can speak from first hand experience will chime in.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can never find anything better than the BD Storm that I already have although I do keep looking and reading :)

tedh

Newly Enlightened
I hear you, this is exactly the use case I am most interested in. I want a diffuse beam 90% of the time, too, but decided I couldn't really live without the spot when I needed it. I made my own diffuser, that stays attached to the H51:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?308655-H51-H51w-mod-flip-away-diffuser

Which admittedly might not be something you want to do, but I thought I'd put it out there.

If you're happy with the XP2's color, might as well stick with the straight H51. I went with an H51w because it gives me better color information in the outdoors.

Ted

carrot

Flashaholic
I think you should really consider the CORE. I use it and it is very good. If you can output 5v to a USB connector with your solar panel setup*you should be able to recharge the CORE no sweat.