LG5 w/Pelican Reflector

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
While sitting at my workbench puffing away at a JR Ultimate Toro (better than drumming my fingers waiting for the Fraen Low Profile optics to arrive), I fiddled with some parts and discovered that the cut-down Pelican M6 reflector from the McModule dropped almost perfectly into the head of the Legend LX. With the incandescent it made a better, farther throwing beam due to the superior parabolic shape over the LX's one, plus the stippling is less diffuse than the LX's.

So I then tried it in the LG5 (Legend LX & V2T 5W HD on 9V directdrive via three CR2 lithiums) and, although I could not screw down the head to its best focus (the positive lead wire was soldered incorrectly for this application and would short out against the bottom of the aluminum PM6 reflector if screwed down too far), I managed to get it close enough to already see the potential of this setup.

Here it is next to a Pelican M6 running a McModule w/1-watt R2H HD and DB700:

faf58fbf.jpg

Note the LG5 has the Dorcy Spyder soft-touch tailswitch, a worthy and welcome alternative to the stiffly sprung stock unit.

The Pelican reflector fits just about perfect and is held neatly in place by the stock LX bezel:

faf58fce.jpg

LLS beamshot from about three feet away:

faf58fcb.jpg

The LG5 casts as bright a beam in the central hotspot, but you can see how much more light is being made by the 5W from the comparative widths of the beams.

Here they are on the ceiling from 20 feet below:

faf58fc3.jpg

Although the R2H Bin Code is whiter than the V2T Bin Code, the 5W is obviously putting out a lot more light.

But the surprise was in the lux readings. Although the McModule w/DB700 had a much tighter focus due to the single die of the 1-watt HD being positioned smack dab dead center of the prime focal plane of the Pelican reflector (and produced 2,030 lux), the LG5 using the same reflector, and *not yet adjusted to its tightest focus* due to the wire lead shorting problem mentioned above, still made:

faf58fd1.jpg

That's 1,894 lux. Nor did I change out the rather used CR2 batteries and simply took the readings the way things were.

So undoubtedly the Pelican reflector has excellent capability to harness the output of a directdrive 5W setup, and you can be certain I will resolder the positive lead to allow tighter focusing as well as stick new batteries in, just to see what the LG5 and Pelican (the "PelG5"?) can really do.

But it is now 1:00 a.m. and I can feel myself slipping under...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Latest posts