PK Design Lab

Thread: 100w led flashlight.

Default 100w led flashlight.

I am looking at buying this LED and this battery. I will then mount the led onto a computer heatsink with fan.

My questions are:
    Do I need a current limiter and where would I find one for 36V@3.5A?
    What sort of reflector and lens do I need?
    Would y'all recommend a different battery?

Default Re: 100w led flashlight.

why not an SST-90?
    Quark 123^2 Turbo: Quark 123^2 Tactical S2: Quark 123 Tactical S2: Quark 123^2 NW Regular: Fenix PD30 R2: Fenix L2D Q5: Solarforce L2 w/ Nailbender SST-90 drop-in: Incendio v2: Inova X1: Robert's Custom EDC: HDS Ra Clicky 140E w/ blk SS bezel

Quote Originally Posted by COAST View Post
    why not an SST-90?
    How would it be better?

lower voltage but higher amps, one large single chip instead of just a bunch of little ones, around 2000-3000lm output, 20W consumed. 5 of these would use the same 100W, but put out 10000-15000lm instead of 8000.

The one you picked has simplicity going for it, though. Slap LED plate onto heatsink, add battery and current limiting, and blast away.

Why not see if you can get ahold of a CSM-360 LED. It's basically 4 SST-90 together like an MCE. I've got one in a Freilong light and it rocks! It's meant to be rated at 100W and 5000+ lumens. I'd say it close to up there, but it would be fantastic to see one of these 360s fully ramped up in a custom!
    Last edited by warmurf; 06-30-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by birdman3131 View Post
    . . . . Do I need a current limiter and where would I find one for 36V@3.5A? . . . . .
    I have added a dollar of parts to a $11 120 watt 12v-in Boost Converter that gives it true Constant Current output. I'm finishing the 3-stage brightness control and then I'll publish the details here.

not realy a flashlight, but a portable working light with a csm-360:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...th-one-CSM-360

i will ever prefer the csm-360 instead of the multi emitter led´s. easyer to focus and the build quality is a lot better. if you have a chance then use a bridgelux emitter and not this noname array. the bridgelux are still cheap an some have a very good cri.

and here i real flashlight with a multi-emitter array:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...umen-many-pics

it is realy hard to get a boost driver for such high voltages at these currents.

markus

are you shure that you wan the pb battery? they are realy heavy-weight.

what is your goal for this setup? i portable working light like mine or a real flashlight like the bridgelux mod?

markus

Quote Originally Posted by bshanahan14rulz View Post
    lower voltage but higher amps, one large single chip instead of just a bunch of little ones, around 2000-3000lm output, 20W consumed. 5 of these would use the same 100W, but put out 10000-15000lm instead of 8000.
    100 watts of parallel LEDs powered by a 3.7 volt battery requires about 28 Amps of switch but same power of LED (100W) powered by 36 volts requires only 3 Amps which is easier to switch, easier to wirings easier charging and less power loss..

Quote Originally Posted by birdman3131 View Post
    What sort of reflector and lens do I need?
    Keep in mind that don't expect to have anarrow beam thrower.

i got some my parts from dx for a 8000 lume light, but the pos and neg are on the same side cant tell wich "wing" is neg or pos.
    hoping to do a test run on 8 18650 "pcm" to keep it at 3 amps refector SKU 39963 at dx

how can i put it in my car headlight?

Flashaholic

You don't! It's illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazinyc View Post
    how can i put it in my car headlight?
    lol ever had oncoming truckers throw a bunch of nuts and bolts at you, on the road?? you will if you drive with that thing on.