Banggood Network
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What's new on the McGizmo horizon?

Default Re: What's new on the McGizmo horizon?

A Haiku Version 2 with the three head fins machined a bit lower and flatter? Would enable a slightly more stable head grip. Machined Ti with a bead blasted clip as an option.

Just thinking out loud here.

Last edited by ev13wt; 04-11-2012 at 08:53 AM.

ev13wt,
    The reduction in fin diameter is a pretty straight forward mod for anyone with access to a lathe.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I currently own only one McGizmo product: a single-CR123 powerd Cree LED in an all-titanium body. I have rarely carried it. I have an Art of the Hide shark holster for it but never used it. They sit in my safe.

I'm not familiar with vast array of McGizmo lghts; however, it is quite apparent that this craftsman is not interested in making a flashlight in the category of those with an output close to that of a standard household 75-watt incandescent bulb.

Looking at his offerings over the years, it appears that his forte is titanium, water-resistance, and high-CRI modestly driven LEDs engineered in a utilitarian, functional package that, except for the electronic components with fleeting technology and the voracious appetites of my fellow flashaholics, should last a lifetime in the hands of the average fellow man.

What I have not seen is a 2-AAA product aimed at the office worker such as myself whom spends much of the workday behind a desk and on occasion has a need for a svelte, dual-mode flashlight with a high-power LED that proximates the general dimensions and finish of one of my titanium pens.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    ev13wt,
    The reduction in fin diameter is a pretty straight forward mod for anyone with access to a lathe.
    While this is true, I appreciate a design for what it is. On the other hand, I really would love this mod. I'd probably screw it up as I set myself on fire while cutting off my thumb with the lathe. So I'd need a pro to do it for me to my specs.

Is it possible to jump on a wave and get a Haiku with a bead blasted clip?

So since my horizon wasn't wide enough, here is my thoughts on an entirely new light: Something small and smooth in shape, a "ladies" design that can be gifted to the significant other. I'm not gonna say cover it in Swarovsky cristals, but they do make for a great grip.
    Last edited by ev13wt; 04-15-2012 at 05:31 PM.

An AAA penlight would require a new switch, since the McClicky is too wide for such narrow batteries. Also, none of the existing drivers would fit. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that there are multiple non-existent parts that would need to be sourced.

Muyshondt's Zephyr solves some of these problems. Perhaps McGizmo could partner with Muyshondt to build and sell the Zephyr or some derivative of it, since Muyshondt didn't want to take the risk entirely on their own.

Regarding a "lady's light", it's possible I'm surrounded by strange women, but I've found that the ones inclined to care at all about carrying tools with them tend to appreciate the designs they've seen in my collection, which mostly consists of McGizmos and Jetbeams.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 04-15-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Ahh, back to the Don/Enrique collaboration idea again. I think they call that a supergroup...

Thoughts on that one boys? Don makes the bodies, Enrique builds the drivers, we splash around in delicious flashlight gravy, everyone is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Regarding a "lady's light", it's possible I'm surrounded by strange women, but I've found that the ones inclined to care at all about carrying tools with them tend to appreciate the designs they've seen in my collection, which mostly consists of McGizmos and Jetbeams.
    That is because the McGizmo lights are quite beautiful design/art wise. Excellent form follows function style, but also a bit "shiny". My gf like them as well, but prefers a pink AA Olight for her purse. And she thinks the sundrop is too big for her purse as well. Design wise she prefers the Haiku over the sundrop. I think the sundrop is pretty much a perfect design. Hmmm.

What about a Ti AAA XM-L PD (with tritium insert in piston) ?
    2 levels (candlelight/60 lumens)
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Quote Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
    That is because the McGizmo lights are quite beautiful design/art wise. Excellent form follows function style, but also a bit "shiny". My gf like them as well, but prefers a pink AA Olight for her purse. And she thinks the sundrop is too big for her purse as well. Design wise she prefers the Haiku over the sundrop. I think the sundrop is pretty much a perfect design. Hmmm.
    There are plenty of women who feel uncomfortable using "men's tools" unless they are pink, that's for sure. Case in point: how do you know if a razor is for a man or a woman? The woman's razor is pink. Kind of like how there are plenty of men who feel uncomfortable hugging each other, even with just one arm, unless they're slapping each other hard on the back. I guess it all depends on how much you define yourself by the things you own.

My mom likes my Gizmos because they remind her of the metal machining her father used to do, back in "The Olde Country".

There are plenty of women who feel uncomfortable using "men's tools" unless they are pink, that's for sure.
    You did intend this as a double entendre, right?
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

There are plenty of women who feel uncomfortable using "men's tools" unless they are pink, that's for sure. Case in point: how do you know if a razor is for a man or a woman? The woman's razor is pink. Kind of like how there are plenty of men who feel uncomfortable hugging each other, even with just one arm, unless they're slapping each other hard on the back. I guess it all depends on how much you define yourself by the things you own.

My mom likes my Gizmos because they remind her of the metal machining her father used to do, back in "The Olde Country".

Each to their own, a woman can certainly use and carry mens tools etc. I'd hug a friend I haven't seen in a long time, but I won't carry a pink light! That said, reason for my idea is that I haven't seen many custom flashlight builders make anything girly/woman dedicated in the "usual" fashion.

Girl colors, etc. First guy to cover a Ti light in diamonds will get a sale from Russia once the light is found. I'd go for swarovsky crystals instead. Gave my gf a pen like that once you would believe the squeal I got from her. Girls love glitter.

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    You did intend this as a double entendre, right?
    Amazingly, no I didn't.

The women in my life seem to prefer the Sapphire. With the exception of my girlfriend who prefers a SF A2 and M4. Gotta love her.
    Trees don't grow on money either.

I just want Don to keep doing what he's doing. It's fun and the lights are no BS. I never though I could afford a McGizmo and sometimes wondered why anyone would spend so much. I also never thought I'd actually carry one if I did buy. It's probably been a year now that I got my Haiku and it has not left my pocket since. Not one single day! Your approach is refreshing and interesting Don. Keep doing what you do for a long time is all I ask because IMO no other flashlight maker compares.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

My personal favorite right now is the Sapphire 25. Regulated output, an indestructible titanium case, and a user-serviceable pill make it the best keychain nightlight ever.

What I would love to see is a Lunasol 20/27 PD hybridized with a Sunawayman control ring. You use the PD to switch between the two modes, beam or flood and the control ring to adjust the brightness of each. The PD could also be swapped with a clicky for those who prefer it.

Have a tritium vial to install? See my sales thread for Norland 61 optical adhesive.

Interesting idea. With the PD switch, you'd have to be good at pre-setting the control ring, because you wouldn't be able to adjust it one-handed while applying continuous pressure to the switch. With the Clicky switch, you'd have two things to rotate -- the ring for brightness and the rest of the head for mode-selection, and I could see that getting confusing in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by JWRitchie76 View Post
    It's probably been a year now that I got my Haiku and it has not left my pocket since. Not one single day!
    It's nary been a week and mine's been at my side and usually in my hand while I'm idling. There's just something about the feel. Maybe it's the slab of Ti or how solid it feels or perhaps it's because it was a few hundred bucks... but I do know my 10 month old has chosen the Haiku 5/5 times when presented with the TCR1, V10R Ti and the Haiku to play with heh.

^^ The new McGizmo for kids, 0.2 tp 1 lumen in "child safety mode"

Take the batteries out, don't want a kid looking into a bright beam accidentally!

Flashaholic*

Nothing new over here: http://dmcleish.com/CPF/index4.html

I have to say that I am excited about the future whatever it is.
    Chris

Flashaholic*

Go away Murphy..... this thread needs an update.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by non View Post
    McGizmo version of the VME head would be sweet.
    +1.

BTW, I keep hearing that Don has discontinued the Makai heads. but i see in the postings as "out of stock". Big difference there. So which is correct?
    Last edited by BenChiew; 08-19-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    BTW, I keep hearing that Don has discontinued the Makai heads. but i see in the postings as "out of stock". Big difference there. So which is correct?
    I was uncertain whether I should commit to carrying inventory of another run of the Makai heads because they are expensive parts and based on the previous run, pretty slow to sell through. However I have ordered another run of them and they will become available again once the machined heads are back on hand.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I let mine go but will very likely pick up another. Hell of a head.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I was uncertain whether I should commit to carrying inventory of another run of the Makai heads because they are expensive parts and based on the previous run, pretty slow to sell through. However I have ordered another run of them and they will become available again once the machined heads are back on hand.

Default What's new on the McGizmo horizon?

The 1XAA pack is already available and hopefully the 1.5V LE to go with the pak will be a reality soon. Vapor ware for now but the hope is there.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234