• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What's new on the McGizmo horizon?

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't made many purchases as of late. My current McGizmo family has made me very content in most of my current lighting needs (especially my Sundrop XP :thumbsup:. I can't say enough about the long runtime and great high CRI 5500K flood. It makes for a perfect reading light at night and covers 90% of my indoor lighting needs). However, the flashaholic in me is itching for something new very soon. Don, are there any hints on what is to come in the near future? I can't wait to read about what you're cooking up next as I save money toward my next purchase from you :party:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Whilst I have the utmost respect for the conservative approach in McGizmo lights, I yearn for maybe just one
McGizmo light that really pushes the boat out.

I'm thinking along the lines of a Ti HD45 XM-L with an 18650 or 26650 body with 3 level-driver, driven at 2.8A on High

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also would like to see a new model from Don. Any light that starts with the word McGizmo gets me interested imediately. Maybe if we all cross our fingers.

Bass

Enlightened
I remember reading a post of Don's about a light named 'Eclipse' a while back. I'm guessing a newer LED (XP-G or XM-L) driven fairly hard in a Sundrop head if it happens.

Personally, I'd like to see a High CRI with a new Nichia LED, similar to the Sundrop but driven much harder. Don is the pioneer with these types of LED's and I can't wait to see what he will come up with.

The Coach

Enlightened
Whilst I have the utmost respect for the conservative approach in McGizmo lights, I yearn for maybe just one
McGizmo light that really pushes the boat out.

I'm thinking along the lines of a Ti HD45 XM-L with an 18650 or 26650 body with 3 level-driver, driven at 2.8A on High

I like the way you think!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

fyrstormer

Banned
An Aleph-compatible Lunasol successor would be great. Maybe an Aleph1-size two-piece head that comes apart to allow servicing of the floodlight LEDs, and a normal Aleph light engine for the spotlight. There's someone in the Custom B/S/T who sells A2-style LED "Onion Rings" that could be used in the construction of such a light.

I haven't figured out how the switch mechanism would work, but at least a two-piece head would be easier to assemble and service than the LS series' one-piece heads were.

brucec

Enlightened
How about a XPG 3S Sapphire?

Any new pocketable 1xCR123 light would be great. I'd also go for an aesthetic update to the Haiku head and 1xCR123 McClickie pack.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple is beautiful. :D

I can already imagine a slim AA version of Haiku.... :eek:oo:

Last edited:

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see a light like the Lunasols with both flood and throw. But instead of one throw emitter encircled by a number of flood emitters. The light would use just two emitters. Like the Lunasol it would use a special designed McGizmo reflector; unlike the Lunasols neither emitter would be in the center of the head. They would be more like this 8. Maybe two XP-G's one for throw and one as a high CRI mule. I would like to have the flood portion be brighter than the Lunasols. I would not like a head of 27mm because a flared head does not feel right in my pocket. Call me crazy.

:crazy:..:crazy:..:crazy:

Not going to ask for a 18650 tube. As Don usually designs around one or two primaries. But if he builds around the E-series design I have a couple of 18650 tubes already for long run times. Not sure why FM can build a 18650 tube from Stainless but getting a Ti 1x18650 E-series tube is nearly impossible.

jiuong

Newly Enlightened
I like Drywolf's idea, and to add to it, maybe more modes than the lunasols.

fyrstormer

Banned
Not going to ask for a 18650 tube...Not sure why FM can build a 18650 tube from Stainless but getting a Ti 1x18650 E-series tube is nearly impossible.
It's probably the extra threading involved. Since the E-series head attachment is too narrow to be bored wide enough to let an 18650 pass through without seriously weakening the threads, that means a second access point has to be created, which requires a second set of threads. Titanium is hell on cutting equipment, especially taps and dies.