Battery Powered Soldering Iron - a use for C cells

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
I've had the yellow rechargeable Wahl Iso-Tip 60 cordless soldering iron for a dozen years and find it a handy tool for light soldering on PC boards or soldering wires. In 10 seconds you are hot enough to solder. The '60' is only good for a handful of solder jobs before it needs to go on the charger for an hour which is a huge bummer.

21kxi5J6sCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Iso-Tip 60 has a 2 subC 1300 mAh NiCd battery pack inside. Not much you can do about it either since I believe you are limited to a NiCd charging station. My battery finally bit it so I ordered a replacement NiCd battery pack for about $15 to bring my iron back to life.

Before I checked out I decided to shop around a little and came across the EZ Change Solder Iron. It comes with 2 C cell 1400 mAh NiCd's.

whl7670.jpg

The Wahl EZ Change Soldering Iron

With some decent NiMH C cells the EZ iron is a different animal. I always liked my little Wahl '60' but it just didn't offer enough power or convenience. I can throw some LSD NiMH C cell's in the EZ and have it ready to go for up to a year with greatly extended soldering capability. The EZ Change iron is only $30 compared to $70 for the NiCd restricted '60'.

:twothumbs

It doesn't replace my trusty Weller but it earns a test run in my tool kit.

Neither of these items are new and most folks prefer a corded iron or butane. I've just been on the lookout for handy AAA-D NiMH operated devices since upgrading my battery drawer, especially the elusive non-light/radio C cell powered useful item. Considering what it replaces for less than half the cost the EZ is pretty sweet.

Last edited:

mushroom

Newly Enlightened
Nice find. Are either of those cordless models powerful enough for reliable de-soldering? I've used a butane Master Appliance MT-70 for years but at that price, I'd also be interested in giving those a test run! Also, what model Weller do you have? I'm currently shopping around for a digital soldering station and have heard really good things about Weller.

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
Not sure either I would call either powerful enough for reliable de-soldering. They claim the tip gets to 900* in 10 seconds. Haven't measured it, but I've removed/installed several small parts with it (resistors, capacitors). It's sometimes a little tricky getting a nice clean solder job (you get a little 'Dairy Queen' effect unless you use just the right technique).

I just have a little 25w Weller, and I'm not out in the field soldering as much as I used to be. Haven't tried butane.

Neither of these are going to be your 'go-to' iron for everyday soldering. If I'm going to repair my TV I'm going to use my Weller. If I'm out on a roof trouble shooting and I come across a broken wire I can fix it in a matter of seconds with my EZ.