Best "cheapy" for the wife...

ccf

Newly Enlightened
I want it to be reliable, easy to operate, and budget-priced. I see no need to spend $50 in this situation. I know she'll rarely use it. Maybe a few times a year. That said, I want it in her purse if she ever needs light (especially in an emergency).

I'll check batteries every so often, so no problem there. Would a Streamlight Stylus Pro be the ticket? Any suggestions in that price range?

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife uses, and is quite happy with, an Ultrafore C3 Stainless Steel. Decent output, the SS is tough (she's quite rough on things) and doesn't look too shabby either. Not bad for ~$20

I keep a protected 14500 in it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Go for a Fenix E01. Put a lithium battery in it so she'll be set for the next ten years. If she's like my wife it will get a couple minutes use every two years or so.

Geoff

ccf

Newly Enlightened
Go for a Fenix E01. Put a lithium battery in it so she'll be set for the next ten years. If she's like my wife it will get a couple minutes use every two years or so.

Geoff

Lithiums will literally last 10 years with a few minutes of use a year? Didn't know that. Never used a lithium. I know they're expensive, but maybe they're worth it. :)

aimxplode

Enlightened
Lithiums will literally last 10 years with a few minutes of use a year? Didn't know that. Never used a lithium. I know they're expensive, but maybe they're worth it. :)

Energizer Lithium AAs are excellent at retaining power. They are about $1.50 each and they don't leak so it can be kept in a car/purse for long periods of time.

geckoblink

Newly Enlightened
This. Streamlight Nanos are also pretty awesome for hideaway lights you forget about until you need them. I've had one in my EDC first aid kit for two years now and I check it every week or so to make sure it's working.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Another way to go is to go to Costco and get the 150 Lumen 3 Pack CREE XRE. I have them and they really have been quite durable and function well. You can put one in each car and keep one in the house by her bed stand. Less than $20 and it comes with batteries!!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
definitely use lithium AA or AAA.

i gave my mom a red Xeno E03 XM-L warm tint. it always starts on med, then low, then high. which works out well for her, since med is quite bright.

any ICON single AA would be nice too. Icon link, rogue, or modus. simple high/low UI. always starts on high first.

fenix E05 is a single mode twisty

fenix LD15 is a high/low twisty. always comes on high first, twist back and forth for low.

jetbeam BA10, clicky swtich, bezel tight for high, bezel loose for low.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the ITP A3 about $20 most places, and stick lithium AAA in it. The purple one might be very nice for her if she likes that color.
That Xeno E03 mentioned is a good option in XM-L or XP-G. They come in colors too, and they use AA. I think you should start her on a AAA light first though so you can be sure she'll carry it, and he friends will think it's cute.

I always like th Streamlight Microstream for gifts as it's dead simple with a little clicky on the back, just one level and useful output. For the non flashaholic they seem to think it's the best thing since slice bread.

I also feel you can never go wrong with a Fenix LD01. You might even find a new L0D if you keep an eye open.

Keep it as simple as possible.... it's the best way to ensure they will use it.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Fenix E05, simple and bright key chain light.

make sure to include Energizer Lithium AAA battery for long lasting and reliable power.

keychain lights is the way to go in making sure she always bring it with her all the time.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife has, loves and uses a simple Al Maratac AAA. I am personally impressed with how tough it is. We give it to our son, who is 1 to keep him busy, in restaurants and whatnot. It's on a lanyard and he whips and beats it off everything. I've seen it slam concrete pretty hard a couple times and when it does I say, "It's dead for sure!" But the damn thing keeps on keepin' on!

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't mention a particular size of flashlight.

You might consider the Energizer 1 -watt LED in "tactical black". It has gotten good reviews for an Energizer product, 1xAA battery and will fit in just about any purse.

You can find them for about $25 at Target and most auto parts stores.

If you want something for a keychain, I agree with an E01 + a lithium battery.

-Trevor

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
definitely use lithium AA or AAA.

i gave my mom a red Xeno E03 XM-L warm tint. it always starts on med, then low, then high. which works out well for her, since med is quite bright.

any ICON single AA would be nice too. Icon link, rogue, or modus. simple high/low UI. always starts on high first.

fenix E05 is a single mode twisty

fenix LD15 is a high/low twisty. always comes on high first, twist back and forth for low.

jetbeam BA10, clicky swtich, bezel tight for high, bezel loose for low.

+1 on the ICON Rogue 1 if she will carry it, the Rogue is a favorite of my wife and is on sale at a couple retailers right now.The ICON Solo might be another possibility the older models are on sale and the newer models apparently have more output.Photon Freedoms are also fairly bright, reasonably priced and worth getting even if you buy her another light for her purse.Fauxtons are often recommended but the actual Photons are much better quality and the batteries will last for years with limited use.

tam17

Enlightened
I always like th Streamlight Microstream for gifts as it's dead simple with a little clicky on the back, just one level and useful output. (...) Keep it as simple as possible.... it's the best way to ensure they will use it.

+1

I know from my experience that a wife's flashlight basically just sits on the bottom of her purse and never sees much action. Load it with a lithium primary battery (if that's within your budget) and forget it. Alkalines will leak without warning, destroying the flashlight.

Cheers,

Tam

kramer5150

Flashaholic
definitely Fenix E01
My wife EDCs an E0 Dart which is a couple Lumens dimmer than the E01 and its surprising how bright these lights really are with night adapted vision.

Went out on a night hike tonight, watching fireworks and her light was easily bright enough to light up the path.