Malkoff
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The DEFT EDC is out!

Default The DEFT EDC is out!

Just got the email notification! 40k cp, 5.3 in. long, and powered by an 18650! Seems pretty exciting, can't wait to see the reviews. It's priced at $199, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger, but don't feel like I have enough info on it yet. They've set up a shop at the omg lumens site.

Default Re: The DEFT EDC is out!

That looks very very cool. I once joked with saabluster about using an overdriven XP-C, and he dismissed it out of hand!

Flashaholic

Could not resist, and ordered one looks like a fun little light

Quote Originally Posted by one2tim View Post
    Could not resist, and ordered one looks like a fun little light
    He who buys first shares beam shots

Flashaholic

Ordered one. Was hoping he would make a light like this.

Flashaholic*

I also ordered. Cant wait to get this one.

Are there any pics or a link?

Enlightened

The pics from the omg website doesnt look like the original deft, the thrower. The beam looks defused. Wating for some beam shots to click the checkout button.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by EnduringEagle View Post
    Are there any pics or a link?
    https://omglumens.com/DEFT-edc.php

Flashaholic

Yes those beam shots are zoomed in from 522 and 735 feet away. I have never taken beam shots before but will try when mine arrives.

Huh-it looks like a Seraph Host with an aspheric lens...

Flashaholic

yes it is the lumens factory host but none the less im sure its gonna be as good as it gets

Quote Originally Posted by MTL-TL
    Sweet torch!

Enlightened

No words on lumens and lux ?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by MTL-TL View Post
    Somewhere near 40.000 Lux.

Quote Originally Posted by Votekinky06 View Post
    Just got the email notification! 40k cp, 5.3 in. long, and powered by an 18650! Seems pretty exciting, can't wait to see the reviews. It's priced at $199, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger, but don't feel like I have enough info on it yet. They've set up a shop at the omg lumens site.
    You crack me up. I was delaying posting any information on the light here to give all on the email notification list a chance to purchase first. It's all good though.

Quote Originally Posted by mvyrmnd View Post
    That looks very very cool. I once joked with saabluster about using an overdriven XP-C, and he dismissed it out of hand!
    Well I would have dismissed it out of hand sometime back for two reasons. The XP-C in the old DEFT platform creates a beam that is in my opinion too small. With a smaller lens the beam gets larger and thus becomes acceptable. I refuse to make a light that is in my opinion unusable just to reach a higher lux number. The whole package must work. It is all part of my philosophy of "right sizing" the components.

Second the XP-C was only recently available in the Q4 bin. All the XP-Cs I had tested prior to this could not be driven hard enough to outdo a high binned XR-E. That has now changed. These little XP-C Q4s are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by MTL-TL View Post
    Lux is 40 cp as mentioned on my site or 40,000 lux @1 meter. It has 230-240 emitter lumens although that is a far less useful spec for this type of light. For a dedicated throw light the lux number is the one the matters most.

Many have asked for some more beamshots and other info. I will get that up as soon as possible. Also just to avoid the apparent confusion the DEFT-edc is, like the old light, based on a host which has significant work done to it to make it a premium light. The host is the Skyray. We then gut it and use our own components. It is no longer a drop-in type light as that is far from optimal for heatsinking especially when pushing the limits. And you all know I push the limits. That is why the LED is mounted to a solid copper pill cut on our CNC machine.

When choosing the material to use I didn't pick just any copper. I chose the highest conductivity copper I could find(99.99% pure OFHC). It is more expensive but has far better conductivity than the vast majority of copper out there and is almost as good as pure silver. I also made sure to buy annealed copper as even the hardness of the metal can affect the conductivity.

The outer body rings that come on the Skyray are junk and they therefore get junked. We make our own high quality rings in a metallic finish that compliments the light beautifully. I've yet to be able to get pictures that really show how nice they look on the light.

We put quite a bit of effort on deburring the threads and proper oiling so the threads are silky smooth. Conductive grease is also added in some key spots to assure reliable operation and a low resistance circuit. To aid this as well a silver coated beryllium copper spring is used on the positive battery connection.

Anyway hopefully it is clear there is a bunch of work that goes into these lights. I will start my own thread soon and have some more info that people have been wanting. -Michael

I have ordered mine and can't wait to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    You crack me up. I was delaying posting any information on the light here to give all on the email notification list a chance to purchase first. It's all good though.
    Sorry :/

It's a Seraph body, yes. I wonder if the P60-dropin standard is preserved or whether the internals are permanently installed.

The XP-C is an interesting choice. I had an SOSFLARE light that I got from Newegg a few months ago that used an XP-C behind an adjustable-focus TIR optic, and while I ultimately decided I didn't like it very much, the emitter could put a (dim) spot on a tree much further away than any of my other lights could touch.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    It's a Seraph body, yes. I wonder if the P60-dropin standard is preserved or whether the internals are permanently installed.

The XP-C is an interesting choice. I had an SOSFLARE light that I got from Newegg a few months ago that used an XP-C behind an adjustable-focus TIR optic, and while I ultimately decided I didn't like it very much, the emitter could put a (dim) spot on a tree much further away than any of my other lights could touch.
    No the P60 setup is not used. That setup is junk in my opinion. That is if one is trying for high output-which I am. As mentioned in my post above the LED is soldered to solid copper. This in turn is mounted in the body using an interference fit so the heat has a highly effective thermal path to the outside.

It's not so good for heat conductivity, but it's great for flexibility. Of course, I don't think anybody would buy a special DEFT model just so they could swap the light engine for something more pedestrian, so the loss of flexibility doesn't matter in this case.

Perhaps it's a bad question to ask, but how much is the XP-C emitter overdriven in this setup? As I recall, their OEM specs (admittedly designed for inferior heatsinking) don't allow for much wattage.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    It's not so good for heat conductivity, but it's great for flexibility. Of course, I don't think anybody would buy a special DEFT model just so they could swap the light engine for something more pedestrian, so the loss of flexibility doesn't matter in this case.

Perhaps it's a bad question to ask, but how much is the XP-C emitter overdriven in this setup? As I recall, their OEM specs (admittedly designed for inferior heatsinking) don't allow for much wattage.
    The LED is run at 1.4A which is quite beyond the max spec. Trying to squeeze every last drop out of this LED. Of course max spec is set not only for less than stellar heatsinking but for lower bin parts and on top of all that to be able to last 10s of thousands of hours. The combination of extremely good heatsinking, high bin parts, and lack of a need for tens of thousands of hours in use allows me to push it far beyond spec.

In my tests the LED will hold steady at 1.6A with good heatsinking so I decided to back off that a bit for reliability's sake. Pushing the LED this hard and keeping the P60 format is a recipe for a dead LED in short order. You can also see why I went "overboard" on the thermal path front. P60 has a place in the market just not in my lights.

Awesome.....Awesome.......Awesome.

I been wondering when these would come out.

In the beamshoots in your website the Aspheric beam doesnt show CREE Wires???? My Aspheric XR-E R2 show that square with lines, but does XP-C Aspheric not show those????

Thanks,
    Jose
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Just for curiosity, how big is the XP-C die? Just wondering about A/mm^2 vs A/mm^2 for comparing to other emitters. Either way, running at 300% recommended max current is quite a stout overdrive.

Oh well, I couldn't resist being an early adopter on this one!

Godspeed my proud beauty, fly across the Atlantic to your new home.

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    Awesome.....Awesome.......Awesome.

I been wondering when these would come out.

In the beamshoots in your website the Aspheric beam doesnt show CREE Wires???? My Aspheric XR-E R2 show that square with lines, but does XP-C Aspheric not show those????

Thanks,
    Jose
    Are you referring to the current spreaders or the bond wires? You can see the current spreaders on a white wall but not in normal use. The bond wires do not show however. It also does not have the artifacts that the XR-E had(rings).

Quote Originally Posted by CKOD View Post
    Just for curiosity, how big is the XP-C die? Just wondering about A/mm^2 vs A/mm^2 for comparing to other emitters. Either way, running at 300% recommended max current is quite a stout overdrive.
    The XP-C die is .68mm x .68mm. That makes it about half the surface area of the XR-E depending on the chip used. It should be noted that the actual die is rated at 1A max so 1.4A is not that far off from that.

Are you using the XP-C or the XP-E? The XP-E can take 1.4 Amps with
    your method of heat sinking, but the last time I checked the XP-C was only
    rated at 500 mA and could be safely driven to 750 mA.

Curt
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me a PEAK flashlight, or give me the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    In my tests the LED will hold steady at 1.6A with good heatsinking so I decided to back off that a bit for reliability's sake. Pushing the LED this hard and keeping the P60 format is a recipe for a dead LED in short order. You can also see why I went "overboard" on the thermal path front. P60 has a place in the market just not in my lights.
    Oh yes. Knowing what you do to poor, innocent little LEDs that never hurt nobody, the need for a good thermal path is a given. Mostly I'm surprised you're able to run so much power through a small-die emitter without overwhelming the one part of the thermal path you can't control -- the N-P junction inside the emitter die itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt R View Post
    Are you using the XP-C or the XP-E?
    He's using the XP-C, because it has an even smaller die than the XP-E.

I'd be curious to know if the OSRAM Golden Dragon has a similar die size to the XP-C. It looks like it might actually be smaller, to my eyes.

Ugh, I couldn't resist! Mike, order in for one. Also, your mailbox is full!

Karl

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast