Battery Junction - Olight
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The DEFT EDC is out!

Default Re: The DEFT EDC is out!

I just received my DEFT EDC the other day and have been remiss in posting. For that I am sorry. I own many lights but have always had a soft spot for lights that THROW, my initial experience being with some of Mac's HIDs, including the Elephant. I later became somewhat taken by the Aspherical lens designs and purchased several by Ledean and Mac. These were based on the Maglight platform and had, as I recall 50mm (or thereabouts) aspheric lenses. The performance was phenomenal! I had the opportunity to purchase two smaller aspheric designs by a company called Chapman. These were interesting lights with defocusing mechanisms but nowhere near the power of the Mag-based lights I had.

Then, I was most fortunate to find a new light by a guy by the name of saabluster, the DEFT, thethe ultimate aspheric light saber casting LED dies hundreds of yards! I had been spoiled by the smaller lights by Chapman but longed for a better performing light. What if a small sized aspheric COULD perform near the level of some of the "big guns"? I just got that light the other day as I've said.

When I received the DEFT EDC light I thought it resembled a ray gun out of Flash Gordon---rings glore and alternating annodizing and shiney Aluminum. From a size perspective it's about the same as my U2. That's about where the similarities end however. Up front is an aspheric lens, looking out the barrel as a bug eye. Pop in a freshly charged 18650 and awaaay ya go, casting the familiar but more squarish die shape near as far as one of my Mag based lights but....BUT...in a most portable EDC-sized light! This light is an incredible achievement for saabluster and this light truely turns the corner in terms of an amazing throwing light in a carry sized package.

It has become my current carry light into the fields spotting wildlife in the wee hours of the morning. Try it, you'll LOVE it!

Karl

Edit: One very important aspect of the DEFT EDC that has been drawn from the OMG Lumens original DEFT is the placement of the lens, well BEHIND the front of the bezel. One major downfall of many of the previous aspheric light designs was side light spill which forced the user to hold the light far in front of one's self to avoid being partially blinded. The DEFT EDC hs been designed so that this side spill is not a problem and this light may be used and held as any other light which one might carry.
    Last edited by karlthev; 07-27-2011 at 04:21 AM.

Well, I was out tonight later than I thought, so no chance to do any proper beamshots or comparisons.

But in the spirit of EDC, I snapped some Famous Landmarks in London, illuminated by this pocket rocket.

First up St Paul's Cathedral. Designed by Sir Christopher Wren with its huge Dome and Angels. Without Illumination, apart from the very bright kind supplied for all to see!

Then with the DEFT EDC on the Angel above the arch.

I was 300 feet from the base of the arch.

Then a quick walk across the river Millenium bridge and the Thames to the Tate Modern Gallery, the high chimney.

I was about 250 feet from the bottom of the Gallery.

I'll do some more tomorrow with a better camera and some comparisons. But this little light is a lovely and very pocketable investment. Beyond the ability of my phonecam, the light will illuminate the wharves across the Thames at Tower Bridge (and atract some impressed tourists at the same time - I think they thought I was the police, such was the power of the light!

Great fun!

Flashaholic

I also caved and ordered a Deft EDC last night. I wonder if it will arrive before the weekend... Thanks for the pics Nyctophiliac. They help sooth a restless flashaholic soul.

I placed my order last thursday but haven't received a confirmation email of it shipping out yet. How long is it taking others to get theirs?
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

Flashaholic*

I ordered mine last Wednesday but have not gotten a shipping confirmation either.

Those beamshots lead me to believe this may be a winner.

Thanks for the mini reviews, guys.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Nice shooting Nyctophilliac ... you wouldn't happen to have a T9 aspherical running 8.4V to compare real world at those distances would you?
    made in china...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post
    I placed my order last thursday but haven't received a confirmation email of it shipping out yet. How long is it taking others to get theirs?
    I think it took 4-5 days to get my shipping notice....BTW this is a great little thrower......Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokoff View Post
    Nice shooting Nyctophilliac ... you wouldn't happen to have a T9 aspherical running 8.4V to compare real world at those distances would you?
    Nope. But I have a friend who does - I must see if I can borrow it. Although it is a bigger product, and running at a voltage the Deft cannot compete with - anyway the DEFT EDC is very small and does not suffer from having a bulbous end (!).

For my comparisons I have selected:

SAIK SA-09 (Focusing Asperical)
    Led Lenser P7 (Sort of aspherical, focus optic anyway!)
    Ultrafire 007 (Backwards facing reflector-projector of led die)
    Solarforce Skyline II (DEEP reflector thrower)
    DEFT EDC

these are all approx the same size although they use different cells. I was going to include my Thrunite catapault, but it's a bit big. Of the various 18650 lights I own, that have reflectors, I have chosen the Skyline II as it has easily the best throw of any of them.

OK I'm off with me camera now. God help the neighbours!
    Last edited by Nyctophiliac; 07-27-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Sweeeeeeet! My light is now on its way

Maybe the beam shots from u guys will help pass the time until it arrives.
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

That was fun!

Here's the line up:

From the left SAIK SA-9, SOLARFORCE SKYLINE II, DEFT EDC, LED LENSER P7 AND ULTRAFIRE RECOIL 007.

Head on.

Sorry about the dust!

Indoor shots down a thirty foot corridoor fstop 5 and exposures one fiftieth and one twenty fifth of a second.

SAIK SA-9

SOLARFORCE SKYLINE II

DEFT EDC

LED LENSER P7

ULTRAFIRE RECOIL 007

As you can see, the DEFT EDC has a tiny tiny hotspot, but it is the 'Hottest' so thirty feet is not where this torch is at its best - LET'S GO OUTSIDE!!!!!

Meanwhile out of doors I take my life in my hands (knowing my neighbours) and here is a test at throwing about 100 feet in my back yard.

shots at one tenth of a second, one second and a couple at ten seconds.

First the balance

SAIK SA-9

SOLARFORCE SKYLINE II

DEFT EDC

LED LENSER P7

ULTRAFIRE RECOIL 007

Now, just because I like the shots, here are the DEFT EDC and the ULTRAFIRE RECOIL 007 shot at ten seconds.

DEFT EDC

ULTRAFIRE RECOIL 007

Anyway, as you can clearly see, the DEFT EDC is the tightest and brightest - really need to get a further target I think!

Tomorrow...

Bravo Nyctophilliac! Awesome shots! Thanks so much for risking your well being just to satisfy us Flashaholics beamshot lust
    I would be interested in seeing what this little thrower could do at longer distances as well!

Bravo Nyctophilliac! Awesome shots! Thanks so much for risking your well being just to satisfy us Flashaholics beamshot lust
    I would be interested in seeing what this little thrower could do at longer distances as well!
    +1 Thank you for the awesome beamshots, Nyctophiliac!

Absolutely great review!!! Thanks!

Karl

Thanks to all of the members that have shared their opinions of this light. Nyctophilliac's great beamshots convinced me to place an order for this tremendous thrower.

Special thanks to my buddy Robert who graciously offered to send me his light for inspection, but is now not necessary because my order has been placed.

EDIT: I have already received shipping notice!!!
    Last edited by Barbarian; 07-27-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    WTB: Mac's Customs Tri-EDC (aluminum) in excellent condition & bored to accept an 18350. Also an Oveready Custom Black HA C2 body (or complete host) in excellent condition.

Enlightened

Beautiful shots Nyctophiliac. I'm not very camera genius, can u tell me at which exposure does the beam and the ambient light looks more like the real world, like what you say there ? That would help greatly. And also if you can put it up against Catapult, this would really put me on the map.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
    Thanks to all of the members that have shared their opinions of this light. Nyctophilliac's great beamshots convinced me to place an order for this tremendous thrower.

Special thanks to my buddy Robert who graciously offered to send me his light for inspection, but is now not necessary because my order has been placed.

EDIT: I have already received shipping notice!!!
    Thanks Tim you are always a class act. I know you will like your Deft EDC......Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by MTL-TL View Post
    Beautiful shots Nyctophiliac. I'm not very camera genius, can u tell me at which exposure does the beam and the ambient light looks more like the real world, like what you say there ? That would help greatly. And also if you can put it up against Catapult, this would really put me on the map.
    Real world estimate, eh? Tricky. basically we can see 'quicker' than the camera, also we adjust according to which bit of the overall view we want to, therefore when I look at the hot spot on the house, it appears bright, then if I shift to look at the house next to the hoptspot, my eyes adjust and I can see that as well. I never see an overall image like any of the pictures. But I guess a good compromise would be to take a gander at the 1 second exposures. The tenth of a second are too dark, the ten second too light (makes the sky look almost like day, or at least dawn.)

Yeah, if you like I can do a couple of beamshots tonight up against the Cree Q5 DX 3D Mag aspheric (to which the DEFT EDC will most definitely lose) and my Thrunite Catapault V1 (with one 18650) I suspect the hotspot of the DEFT EDC will be brighter than the hotspot of the Catapault, and it will have more throw. It trashes my Fenix TK21 in this regard.

The thing that interests me most about the DEFT EDC is even though it puts out less overall light than many of the lights I tested, it's form and function are very very pleasing. The only thing I'd change now if I could would be to have a forward clickie, as I believe this would be a perfect signalling torch, and the reverse clickie makes that difficult if not impossible.

I hope you all enjoy this light as much as I.

Wow. Again, I have to say, this looks like a winner.

Now I need payday.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Flashaholic*

I ordered mine on Wednesday the 20th and received shipping confirmation on Wednesday the 27th.

Michael, I only have one thing to say: Dude! Why the hell didn't I get an email or PM from you about this?

I'm so happy to see this progress, and feared the worst as the DEFT sales dropped off.

I don't find as many new things at CPF to hold my interest, so don't look over all the categories regularly, but a fresh post brought this topic to my attention....and I IMMEDIATELY went over and ordered one of these EDC's.

Nyctophilliac, you did a superb job of showing the features of this.

I have three DEFT's, including that Grand Puba model that blows the other two away. Now in CT, I'm freaking out about South Dakota Mountain Lions migrating and invading, as if the damn Coyotes and Skunks aren't bad enough. Anyway, I continue to use one of the DEFTS with great frequency because it contains the spill from getting into people's homes and cars, while giving maximum notice of what's around me.

I still have people & rarely police cars stop, mostly to admire, but asking what kind of light the DEFT is. Several have wondered if I'm shining a (white) laser around. LOL!

Congratulations, Michael. Your website is mega-slick too, with the effortless PayPal interface working perfect. Can't wait to see this puppy.

For God's sake, if you come out with anything spectacular like this, drop me a line.

Gee LL, kinda "slow on the gun" on this one I see! Been snoozin' it appears! Yer gonna like it! Surprised you only ordered one though....!

Karl

I received mine today! Thanks for the very fast service Michael.

It just got dark here a little while ago so I haven't played with it a lot yet. I'll leave the beam shots to Nyctophiliac, but I'll offer a photo of the DEFT EDC next to several EDC lights many around here are familiar with so you can get an idea of the size of the DEFT EDC. This light will definitely be in my jacket pocket come November. I can't imagine a better thrower in its size class. Just barely longer than a 6P.

Top to Bottom:
    Mac's Tri-EDC
    TorchLAB's Moddoolar Pocket (TL34)
    HDS System's High CRI EDC
    Mac's Ti SST-50 EDC
    Surefire 6P (Black Cerakoted)
    DEFT EDC
    WTB: Mac's Customs Tri-EDC (aluminum) in excellent condition & bored to accept an 18350. Also an Oveready Custom Black HA C2 body (or complete host) in excellent condition.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
    I received mine today! Thanks for the very fast service Michael.

It just got dark here a little while ago so I haven't played with it a lot yet. I'll leave the beam shots to Nyctophiliac, but I'll offer a photo of the DEFT EDC next to several EDC lights many around here are familiar with so you can get an idea of the size of the DEFT EDC. This light will definitely be in my jacket pocket come November. I can't imagine a better thrower in its size class. Just barely longer than a 6P.

Top to Bottom:
    Mac's Tri-EDC
    TorchLAB's Moddoolar Pocket (TL34)
    HDS System's High CRI EDC
    Mac's Ti SST-50 EDC
    Surefire 6P (Black Cerakoted)
    DEFT EDC
    So glad you got one and like it....I'm waiting for fall myself....Robert.

Yeah, not staying up on the latest goings on at good old CPF. I'm surprised that Michael (or you) didn't send me an email or PM which sends me alerts though. It's all good.

Dummy me...

Karl

Well, obviously I was jerking your chain...but I have not seen all that much that is "blockbuster new" with lights for about a year. I have not heard back from Michael after placing my order with a custom message, and sending him a PM, so not sure how he is really doing with everything, or how long it will take to get my EDC DEFT.

I'm still waiting for LED's to have color rendering as good as incands. I tried one of the HDS High CRI lights, which IMHO, still isn't in the ballpark of incand color rendering. The DEFT and aspherics is a whole other concept of limited spill + throw which is great for urban/suburban walks to keep from endangering drivers, or Aunt Sally who has to replace her Depends after an inadvertent luminary explosion from a mindless SF M6 operator invades her bedroom, and reminds her of those previous alien abduction probes.

Flashaholic*

Got mine today so it shouldn't take too long, Lux. Very neat light, btw. Totally different than anything else I own, that's for sure! Very nice quality too...the pics don't do it justice. It easily out throws my X10 which has more than 4 times the output! Very neat indeed. This thing has ZERO spill. 100% (square) hotspot.

My only complaint is the reverse clicky....would rather have a forward clicky.

I was being serious, no sarcasm, I should have told you! I furthermore agree with the observation that color LEDs have much catching up to accomplish. Wish the clicky was a forward motion as well...

Karl

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast