The DEFT EDC is out!

Votekinky06

Newly Enlightened
Just got the email notification! 40k cp, 5.3 in. long, and powered by an 18650! Seems pretty exciting, can't wait to see the reviews. It's priced at $199, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger, but don't feel like I have enough info on it yet. They've set up a shop at the omg lumens site.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks very very cool. I once joked with saabluster about using an overdriven XP-C, and he dismissed it out of hand!

MTL-TL

Newly Enlightened
The pics from the omg website doesnt look like the original deft, the thrower. The beam looks defused. Wating for some beam shots to click the checkout button.

Grumpy

Enlightened
Yes those beam shots are zoomed in from 522 and 735 feet away. I have never taken beam shots before but will try when mine arrives.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got the email notification! 40k cp, 5.3 in. long, and powered by an 18650! Seems pretty exciting, can't wait to see the reviews. It's priced at $199, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger, but don't feel like I have enough info on it yet. They've set up a shop at the omg lumens site.
You crack me up. I was delaying posting any information on the light here to give all on the email notification list a chance to purchase first. It's all good though. ;)

That looks very very cool. I once joked with saabluster about using an overdriven XP-C, and he dismissed it out of hand!
Well I would have dismissed it out of hand sometime back for two reasons. The XP-C in the old DEFT platform creates a beam that is in my opinion too small. With a smaller lens the beam gets larger and thus becomes acceptable. I refuse to make a light that is in my opinion unusable just to reach a higher lux number. The whole package must work. It is all part of my philosophy of "right sizing" the components.

Second the XP-C was only recently available in the Q4 bin. All the XP-Cs I had tested prior to this could not be driven hard enough to outdo a high binned XR-E. That has now changed. These little XP-C Q4s are incredible.

No words on lumens and lux ?
Lux is 40 cp as mentioned on my site or 40,000 lux @1 meter. It has 230-240 emitter lumens although that is a far less useful spec for this type of light. For a dedicated throw light the lux number is the one the matters most.

Many have asked for some more beamshots and other info. I will get that up as soon as possible. Also just to avoid the apparent confusion the DEFT-edc is, like the old light, based on a host which has significant work done to it to make it a premium light. The host is the Skyray. We then gut it and use our own components. It is no longer a drop-in type light as that is far from optimal for heatsinking especially when pushing the limits. And you all know I push the limits. That is why the LED is mounted to a solid copper pill cut on our CNC machine.

When choosing the material to use I didn't pick just any copper. I chose the highest conductivity copper I could find(99.99% pure OFHC). It is more expensive but has far better conductivity than the vast majority of copper out there and is almost as good as pure silver. I also made sure to buy annealed copper as even the hardness of the metal can affect the conductivity.

The outer body rings that come on the Skyray are junk and they therefore get junked. We make our own high quality rings in a metallic finish that compliments the light beautifully. I've yet to be able to get pictures that really show how nice they look on the light.

We put quite a bit of effort on deburring the threads and proper oiling so the threads are silky smooth. Conductive grease is also added in some key spots to assure reliable operation and a low resistance circuit. To aid this as well a silver coated beryllium copper spring is used on the positive battery connection.

Anyway hopefully it is clear there is a bunch of work that goes into these lights. I will start my own thread soon and have some more info that people have been wanting. -Michael

fyrstormer

Banned
It's a Seraph body, yes. I wonder if the P60-dropin standard is preserved or whether the internals are permanently installed.

The XP-C is an interesting choice. I had an SOSFLARE light that I got from Newegg a few months ago that used an XP-C behind an adjustable-focus TIR optic, and while I ultimately decided I didn't like it very much, the emitter could put a (dim) spot on a tree much further away than any of my other lights could touch.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a Seraph body, yes. I wonder if the P60-dropin standard is preserved or whether the internals are permanently installed.

The XP-C is an interesting choice. I had an SOSFLARE light that I got from Newegg a few months ago that used an XP-C behind an adjustable-focus TIR optic, and while I ultimately decided I didn't like it very much, the emitter could put a (dim) spot on a tree much further away than any of my other lights could touch.
No the P60 setup is not used. That setup is junk in my opinion. That is if one is trying for high output-which I am. As mentioned in my post above the LED is soldered to solid copper. This in turn is mounted in the body using an interference fit so the heat has a highly effective thermal path to the outside.