The Fenix-Store
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The 30" Night Hawk

Default Re: The 30" Night Hawk

Seattle Area Get Together was great! Bought a 540 lumen light. Brought a 110,000 lumen searchlight. Beam was decent but out of focus. 24 hours later, the beam can be seen seven miles, even with city lights shining up to the sky. Great photos, I'll post more when I get some sleep. Here are some for now.

Nighthawk and Death Ray at CPF Get Together.

Nighthawk and Death Ray at CPF Get Together. I need to better focus the Nighthawk. 24 hours later you can see this thing shining in the sky from seven miles away!

NightHawk and Death Ray light clouds up

NightHawk, Death Ray and Baby Ray light clouds up lighting terrain below.

After I got home, I adjusted the Focus, as per IgNITEor's suggestion. Wow!, what a difference. I can see the thing, shining in the sky from seven, (7), miles away!

Here the Nighthawk is shining out my living room window.

Picture taken from within the light beam traveling seven miles!

Beam could be seen seven miles away!

30 inch Searchlight shines out from my Living Room window.

Beam could be seen seven miles away!

30 inch Searchlight shines out over Hillsboro.

Searchlight as seen from seven miles away!

Portland is what is lighting up the clouds in background.

Picture 127

Light beam and cloud lit from searchlight, shining from my living room window, over seven miles away!
    Last edited by LightSward; 05-28-2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Photos edit.

Did you finally get a better camera? Picture looks great
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Party Re: The 30" Night Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by ma_sha1 View Post
    Did you finally get a better camera? Picture looks great
    Yes I have a better camera, and I still use the old one sometimes...now with more skill.

I can start by maybe selling these reflectors 'with or with-out' any reflecting material on them. $100.00 for 'non-mirrored', unsurfaced, basic fiberglass condition to several hundred dollars or more depending on an agreed on mirror layer and $$$ up to $1,700.00 US dollars for complete searchlight. These are just some ideas I'm considering while looking at the Nighthawk.

Great job! Hope to meet up there one of these times.
    I like big bulbs and I can not lie, you other brothers can't deny!

Quote Originally Posted by get-lit View Post
    Great job! Hope to meet up there one of these times.
    Yah, it would be great to see some of your lights! See you next Fall?!.,

I wish I could give a date. My design is complete but I'm finding that it's taking a lot of time to make the tooling to produce the lights. I'm picking up a Bridgeport knee mill and will be converting it to CNC to make the molds and the internal parts. The cost to do this is not much more than outsourcing everything.
    I like big bulbs and I can not lie, you other brothers can't deny!

Thank you for providing so much information about your large reflector projects.

I am pondering doing something similar myself - for a local November light festival that we have. For me it is not the parabolic mirror that is the problem - I'm confident that I kan make that. I am more worried about the electronic part - I have an enormous respect for the sort of electrical powers that I will need to handle here.

So, for the circuitry, did you make it yourself or did you buy it professionally made? I noted that you used a ballast and a transforme - how did you figure out the circuitry and how to match them together?

By the way, I think you can retrieve a nice spherical mirror for the front reflector if you scrap an old slide projector.

Cheers, Jens

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Thank you for providing so much information about your large reflector projects.

I am pondering doing something similar myself - for a local November light festival that we have. For me it is not the parabolic mirror that is the problem - I'm confident that I kan make that. I am more worried about the electronic part - I have an enormous respect for the sort of electrical powers that I will need to handle here.

So, for the circuitry, did you make it yourself or did you buy it professionally made? I noted that you used a ballast and a transforme - how did you figure out the circuitry and how to match them together?

By the way, I think you can retrieve a nice spherical mirror for the front reflector if you scrap an old slide projector.

Cheers, Jens
    Thanks for the kind words.

I bought the Jenbo@ ballast and bulb for only total of $570.00. The 1,200 watt ballast is the only one that 'needs' 240 volts...so that is why the big added on, custom made 120 volt to 240 volt transformer and cooling fan I added. Luckily the ballast has a wide range of voltages and cycles...180 volts to 260 vac range and 48 htz to 66 cycle range, so perfect match not needed. I'm good at 'building things like sockets and high voltage harnesses...originally out of necessity .

Glad you mentioned the projector, because I did scrap an old projector, and this confirmed my idea of the split reflector idea I had been toying around with. I realized, that if I may make many of these, I would need a regular easy and inexpensive supply. I got spoiled by finding cheap mixing bowls, or dog dishes that were highly polished with the right optics.

I can now mass produce the basic fiberglass reflector body.

Quote Originally Posted by get-lit View Post
    I wish I could give a date. My design is complete but I'm finding that it's taking a lot of time to make the tooling to produce the lights. I'm picking up a Bridgeport knee mill and will be converting it to CNC to make the molds and the internal parts. The cost to do this is not much more than outsourcing everything.
    I look forward to seeing it. I'm often at the balance of either money shortage for projects or time shortage, myself. When I have money, I tend to not have much time and vise vrs.

Considering that you have done all that research for your project - I feel that I might as well take advantage of it and ask if you would consider selling a reflector to Sweden?

Regarding the small front reflector, I think it is very umportant that it is exactly spherical so that the light is reflected back exactly through the source in order not have it diverge after the reflection at the parabolic reflector. Otherwise I think it will just create a diffuse halo around the intense beam, rather than contributing to it.

Cheers, Jens.

Imitation 3-D view of the 30 inch Nighthawk
    30 inch Nighthawk ready to paint the sky with artistic homemade lighting.
    Last edited by LightSward; 06-02-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: photo

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Considering that you have done all that research for your project - I feel that I might as well take advantage of it and ask if you would consider selling a reflector to Sweden?

Regarding the small front reflector, I think it is very umportant that it is exactly spherical so that the light is reflected back exactly through the source in order not have it diverge after the reflection at the parabolic reflector. Otherwise I think it will just create a diffuse halo around the intense beam, rather than contributing to it.

Cheers, Jens.
    Yes, I would be interested in selling a reflector to Sweden. Would that be the basic shell with or without reflective material added? Shipping and handling is a small issue to be dealt with, etc. The 30 inch reflector isn't perfect, still slight blemishes, but each reflector I make, I get more experienced in the 'little things', that make a difference.

Limited shop space has made my goal of adding another 'finishing process' that would make the reflector damn close to being perfect, difficult to perform, and thus the slight distortions that prevent a perfect tight beam. I am happy with the results of my efforts, that is having a very powerful searchlight that can seen for several miles, shining in the night sky, hitting clouds, illuminating mountains, canyons or ocean front surfing from a mile or so away. The reflector is very efficient! People have a hard time believing it only uses the power of a hair dryer or small toaster.

I can sell the basic shell without reflective material added for around a hundred U.S. dollars, plus shipping and handling costs? The added reflective material which has it's own issues the way I do it now, would add another hundred. I am open to suggestions.

Yes the front reflector needs to be exactly spherical, and positioned accurately. I was lucky in the past to find mixing bowls or dog dishes that were highly polished spheres of an ideal size for staying away from bulb and cool, to prevent tarnishing. Now I am using 'ladles' that are too close to the bulb, heat up and slightly tarnish to a polished brass look. They still work, but not as efficiently. Send a PM

im a newbie on cpf and found this thread absolutely awesome, what a beam, now thats what you call throw. im loving it.!

Quote Originally Posted by jarma View Post
    im a newbie on cpf and found this thread absolutely awesome, what a beam, now thats what you call throw. im loving it.!
    Thanks. This thing is awesome for what I always wanted in a light. Now I'm making things more 'beta'.

I want to pose this with the Luxor light in Vegas. Luxor light is actually 40 lights at 7k watts each. I'd like to put 40 of my lights in a parking lot next to the Luxor (40 lights), 'light'. Maybe up the wattage to 2,400 watts HID.
    Last edited by LightSward; 06-18-2012 at 11:54 PM.

The 30 inch Nighthawk and 36 inch Gorilla have been entered into NASA's "Designing the Future" Contest. See the entry and maybe vote!

http://contest.techbriefs.com/safety-and-security-2012-by-title/2636-very-efficient-searchlight

Here is the converter I use to power the 30 inch NightHawk and any other spotlight using the 1,200 watt HMI high efficiency short arc lamps.

I often have to convert 120 volts into 240 volts. I bought an inexpensive power converter, partly because of curiosity after reading customer complaints about this very affordable unit, and figured out what the issue was, before I bought it. Sure enough, just like the other customers, it worked well for a short time, then, sparks and smoke. It was indeed thin gauge wiring and cr_ppy components. So for just a few more dollars, I converted it into a reliable and hearty power supply that should last for years!

Transformer Rewiring

Here is a look at the 120 to 240 volt transformer I re-wired. The transformer itself is built like a tank, but many users have been plagued by burnouts and product failures do to terrible wiring and cheap parts that smoked and sparked when I used it. This new set-up stays nice and cool, assisted by a cooling fan for hot evenings. Also no smoke and sparks anymore!
    Last edited by LightSward; 07-01-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: spelling

I had fun doing this late Spring 2012. Getting ready for the Fall Seattle Area CPF Get together.

Picture 133

Here the Nighthawk is shining out my living room window.
    All rights reserved
    Uploaded on May 28, 2012
    0 comments

Picture 128

Light beam and cloud lit from searchlight, shining from my living room window, over seven miles...
    All rights reserved
    Uploaded on May 28, 2012
    0 comments

Working on some new modifications that should make this baby shine and easy to produce. We'll see in a few months if I can get $$$ and shop space.!

If in the Aloha, Oregon area, look for the "Bat Light" high in the sky. I'll be giving out treats to scarey kids for a while, Halloween Night.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1173513...in/photostream

Here is how the 30 inch NightHawk looked Halloween Night. We had more "Trick or Treaters" than ever. Many costumed teenagers. Most said they saw "the Bat Light", (NightHawk) which guided them to treats.

Combined Halloween NightHawk 2012 Pics.

A collection of photos taken Halloween night 2012 of the NightHawk Searchlight

Simulated 3-D...just focus each eye on separate photo, left eye to left photo etc., by looking through computer screen to next room, you should see three images, middle one will look 3-D

30 inch NightHawk Lights the Full Moon Halloween sky and clouds as seen behind the Inventor's home.

NightHawk Lights the Full Moon Halloween sky as seen from block away.

Homemade NightHawk Lights the Halloween sky and clouds over LightSward's neighborhood.

Simulated 3-D
    30 inch NightHawk Lights the Full Moon Halloween sky and clouds.

More to come!
    Last edited by LightSward; 11-01-2012 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Photo edit

I will be selling 1,000 watt incandescent, weather resistant, Architecturally pleasing version to individuals on the East Coast area. Awesome!

Will try to get pics soon.

One of these lights, as far as I know, will be an Architectural feature on a city house, with the searchlight permanently mounted on the deck, for "showing off" purposes. Because these won't have the HIM 1,200 watt arc light as seen in photo at over 100,000 lumen, instead the incandescent has 28,000 lumen, or about a quarter light output.

There will be substantial costs reductions and electronic box at base will be eliminated. With incandescent, a more rapid on off light cycle can be tolerated, such as partying college students???
    Last edited by LightSward; 12-13-2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Here is a CAD compositional of what the production NightHawk may look like...maybe not the "Loud", colors, I will use something like machine green, or international grey commonly used. Any thoughts?

Photo NightHawk production 3-D Outside 1 jpeg

An AutoCAD 3-D rendering of what the all weather resistant Production model 30 inch NightHawk may look like, minus the "loud" colors. May go for a color as seen on the Tank Lights.

WOW. Sweey thread. I took it upon myself to pick my favorite picture, It was a difficult decision but...

"

"
    Very Nice!
    As soon as i read "selling", i wanted to know what these babies would cost!
    I wouldn't be able to afford one, but I don't see why a flashy bright color would bother me. Safety orange, baby blue. If I had one, and it could be anything, it would be orange tiger stripe cammo. But everyone else would prob be happiest with gun metal gray.
    get a "print wrap" and do something crazy, they can do anything. like all these beam shots printed on it, so during the day people still could be impressed. that'd be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by naiter View Post
    WOW. Sweey thread. I took it upon myself to pick my favorite picture, It was a difficult decision but...

"

"
    Very Nice!
    As soon as i read "selling", i wanted to know what these babies would cost!
    I wouldn't be able to afford one, but I don't see why a flashy bright color would bother me. Safety orange, baby blue. If I had one, and it could be anything, it would be orange tiger stripe cammo. But everyone else would prob be happiest with gun metal gray.
    get a "print wrap" and do something crazy, they can do anything. like all these beam shots printed on it, so during the day people still could be impressed. that'd be sweet!
    Thanks for the good words. The NightHawk has been better focused for a more narrow beam. Can be seen over seven miles, in city lighting.

This is exciting. People in New York wanting to Architecturally, semi-permanently, mount this on their nice house's deck for show and tell! I faded the 3-D CAD rendered photo a little bit, to demonstrate the colors client wants. Bright colors are definitely on the menu.

Not sure, but the stripped down 1,000 watt incandescent, 28,000 lumen, tempered glass lens with bulb cooling, but none mechanical panning home version is probably going to be around $650.oo. Not too out of site. Price subject to change, depending on...??? ...many things...but around that??

Faded Color Photo of NightHawk Production

Another photo faded just for comparison.
    Last edited by LightSward; 12-15-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: thoughts

I've been trying to think of any good reasons to have... well, something eccentric like this awesome spotlight. I can't, except but maybe for one purpose:
    Mark your camp location at The Dunes!

I've been lucky enough in my life to have ridden out at the Sand Dunes in CA (Glammis, Gordon's Well, and Pismo Beach). There are a plenty of super rich, even Elite rich, Dune goers that spend anything on an attachment to their already uber expensive RV and sand rails. They have lighted balloons, and bright blinking beacons atop of long poles, to mark where their RV is, and find there way back to camp. A spot light would be even better. Never get lost in the desert at night again (well, they have GPS, but now it could break). I would think an appearance at Gordon's Well during a busy holiday weekend (like Halloween) could potentially get a few sales, even pre-sales. Is it possible to design a travel version to fold up? Try to keep logistics and weight in mid and these "Dune Goers" could be an untapped market. especially if it becomes a FAD where one wealthy guy has to ONE-UP his buddy. If I were rich I'd even attach it to my sandrail, not as a headlight ,but to mark my position in the sky (lightweight materials and durability would be important here - IDK, can these bounce around without breaking?). Anyways, these guys already have batteries and generators galore. Maybe add a long distance RF device rigged to turn it on/off, combined with a timer automatically turning it on and off every few minutes. I could see those being options I'd want for Duneing...

I'm just dreaming... But I've seen how many 'Elite Rich' live, when money is no object, they do get to do some interesting things...

My mechanic Father in law has a much more budgeted dune setup , old toy hauler and quads, but for $650 I'm going to talk to him about buying one, however incredibly unlikely. I want to ask, if it were a more budgeted 1000w version, what range would someone be able to make out the spot? Even if just barely discernible in the moonlight without city lights.

Just make it easier to drag around than one of these WWII spotlights:

Quote Originally Posted by naiter View Post
    I've been trying to think of any good reasons to have... well, something eccentric like this awesome spotlight. I can't, except but maybe for one purpose:

I've been lucky enough in my life to have ridden out at the Sand Dunes in CA (Glammis, Gordon's Well, and Pismo Beach). Just make it easier to drag around than one of these WWII spotlights:
    I didn't need a reason to get mine when I bought it! Just jump in and pick one up. There are plenty for sale. I hear my old gem is for sale again. Hey, Pismo's my neck of the woods!
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

[QUOTE=naiter;4093533]I've been trying to think of any good reasons to have... well, something eccentric like this awesome spotlight. I can't, except but maybe for one purpose:

I've been lucky enough in my life to have ridden out at the Sand Dunes in CA (Glammis, Gordon's Well, and Pismo Beach). There are a plenty of super rich, even Elite rich, Dune goers that spend anything on an attachment to their already uber expensive RV and sand rails. They have lighted balloons, and bright blinking beacons atop of long poles, to mark where their RV is, and find there way back to camp. A spot light would be even better. Never get lost in the desert at night again (well, they have GPS, but now it could break). I would think an appearance at Gordon's Well during a busy holiday weekend (like Halloween) could potentially get a few sales, even pre-sales. Is it possible to design a travel version to fold up? Try to keep logistics and weight in mid and these "Dune Goers" could be an untapped market. especially if it becomes a FAD where one wealthy guy has to ONE-UP his buddy. If I were rich I'd even attach it to my sandrail, not as a headlight ,but to mark my position in the sky (lightweight materials and durability would be important here - IDK, can these bounce around without breaking?). Anyways, these guys already have batteries and generators galore. Maybe add a long distance RF device rigged to turn it on/off, combined with a timer automatically turning it on and off every few minutes. I could see those being options I'd want for Duneing...

I'm just dreaming... But I've seen how many 'Elite Rich' live, when money is no object, they do get to do some interesting things...

Great idea! I actually have a show model that fits easily in my compact car trunk, even on part of the back seat of my car...with passenger seat rolled back and partly reclined, it fits up front too. The model I'm selling at this time is destined to sit outside 24 hours a day in all weather conditions. If a person is careful, I could sell one for maybe a little less, though dust could be an issue...I may install an air filter or heat exchanger...will look into those issues. These stripped down lights would be sold with the understanding that care must be taken and some simple; assembly, dis-assembly done to transport the light...mainly disconnecting the arbor and base...a couple nuts and bolts and maybe a cooling fan....

Your idea sounds very doable, and out in the desert, the beam should be very visible without all the city lights.

Let me know...?!.

Let me know?!.

30 Inch NightHawk getting ready for sales!
    Last edited by LightSward; 12-19-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: photo

Cool Re: The 30" Night Hawk

Here are some incredible beam shots taken during near full moon New Years Eve 2012-13.

Here is a picture of the NightHawk aimed off my deck towards Beaverton and Hillsboro.

NightHawk on deck shining the near full moon New Years Eve with artistic light. Night sky painted with 1,200 watt HID NightHawk Light. View of bulb cooling fan towards camera. Igniter is the small black box taped to the arbor. New Year's Eve 12-31-2012...now morning after: 2013!

Cool view of NightHawk lighting the New Years Eve Sky for many miles. Beam can often be seen for over seven, (7), miles. Photo shows light beam shining away from camera out to paint the night sky with awesome HID light.

Searchlight pointed away from us 12-31-12 New Years Eve, photo taken from neighbors driveway.

This incredible shot of the Orion Constellation, was taken from same spot, I just pointed the camera to my left. The New Year of 2013 started with a great night sky, with a nearly full moon along with a clear dark sky, enabling picture of constellation Orion.

Orion wide angle shot, taken from same spot as Beam Shot above.

Here is a similar view taken from nearly a block away of the Beam painting the New Year's sky with exciting light.

Photo of New Years 2012-13 night, morning view of NightHawk painting the sky with New Years light.
    Last edited by LightSward; 01-03-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: photos

Here is a deck view from behind the NightHawk.

NightHawk on deck 12-31-2012
    Cool rear view of NightHawk lighting the New Years Eve Sky for many miles.

Orion Looking at the fantastic artistry provided by NightHawk

Orion checking out the NightHawk.

I walked a block away from the Deck location of the NightHawk for this view. Beam aimed away from camera towards TV Hwy.

View taken a block away from NightHawk Dec.-31-2012-13 Eve, morning. Happy New Year!

Collage of previous photos. Great artistic shot. This art form known as the 'NightHawk', will be sold as that, an "art sculpture".

NightHawk New Years Eve-morning: 2012-13 collage
    Last edited by LightSward; 01-03-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: photos

What interest is there in the 1,000 watt incandescent model with front lens for $650.oo versus 1,200 watt HMI, (4xlight output of incandescent.) for $1,400.oo and full model with panning 90 degree mechanism for $1,600.oo and full model with 360 degree panning for $1,725.oo?

Who wants what?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast