The 30" Night Hawk

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize, but one of my photo hosts has unreliable and unstable links, (Facebook based), and this caused a large amount of my photos to vanish over he last few days. Apologize, but with all the photos I posted I'm not able to update all them do to a variety reasons, mostly time.

I jumped ahead and am about half way finished building the 30 Inch "NightHawk".

The 30" reflector mold is one of the best optically, I've ever made; and I did it in two days. The fiber-glassing should take one more day. I expect it to make the best beam.

I did this before I did any work on the SportLight or Mini LightSward, because key components ended up in Vegas when the Kia broke down. I hope to get everything back home when the car is fixed and I fly back to Vegas. :naughty:

I'll post some photos I've taken this week, during next couple days.

Last edited:

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
Cant wait to see what it will be like, always enjoyed seeing the build of the other lights.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made this one really fast. It is very light weight, small enough to fit on the car seat, optically about the same as the Gorilla. This is kind of like the next phase of this long multi light study...

30 inch NightHawk design.
5936244504_65068372cd_z.jpg

Here is the styrofoam and screed plan

Here is the styrofoam and screed plan, used to make the 30 inch Night Hawk reflector.

This is the basic 30 inch Night Hawk Searchlight design using standard geometric procedures.

I wil use the 1200 watt HMI type Jenbo Ballast and ignitor.

Jenbo 1200 watt HMI small arc Metal Halide ballast, is about the size and weight of a motel room Bible...fits in the palm of my hand. Not too expensive either.

Currently I am using several 1200 watt HMI bulbs (one double ended, the other single ended), IgNITEor sold me. Great bulbs, he has great memories with them, I hope to continue that legacy. I will one day replace them with a Jenbo...maybe....another Phillips..???
nsk1200500.jpg
image_enlarge.png

Jenbo NSK1200 Bulb-Direct Replacement Bulb for Philips MSD 1200 Manufacturer:
logo_jenbo.jpg
$128.25

I can't stop working on the Night Hawk...it is addicting. I should have the main light unit finished by tomorrow. Less than a week from start to finish!

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:naughty:Here is a quick run down on what I have done the last five days or so. Hopefully Thursday Night, (tomorrow), the 30" Night Hawk will come alive.

Foam stack covered with silicone cement using the parabolic screed
5935686539_917cb0d00b_z.jpg

Foam sandwich stack covered with silicone cement using the parabolic screed to form final shape and insure precision geometry. this is the same technique mentioned in the "50 inch Monster" thread.

Dry wall compound is drying
5935687219_760710ca96_z.jpg

Dry wall compound is drying, using a 20 inch fan

Applying one of several coats of paint

5936246398_e9c5b3a227_z.jpg

Applying one of several coats of paint, red left over from the Gorilla.

Steel frame fitted before glassing
5936247114_b1bf6df9f0_z.jpg

Here I am fitting the steel frame, which consist of electrical conduit, re-bar, metal strapping and framing brackets for the yoke connection. I will add another sealant.

I used a steel frame and much less fiberglass, for reduced weight and cost(s).

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: I am at the next critical phase, the fiber glassing itself.

Wax and lubricant added to mold before glassing

5936247840_b7b89529a3_z.jpg

Wax and lubricant added to mold before glassing, to allow a smoother 'release'.

Here I am incasing the steel frame
5935690163_6d5c4feb03_z.jpg

Here I am incasing the steel frame, which consist of electrical conduit, re-bar, metal strapping and framing brackets for the yoke connection!

Final coat of glass
5935690879_11d1f6a426_z.jpg

Final coat of glass is curing.

Finished fiber glassing, cured and removed from mold
5935691599_98ab394b60_z.jpg

Finished fiber glassing, cured and removed from mold, actually mold removed from product...reflector. Not too much destruction to the mold, will be able to re-use much of it.

:naughty:

Completed and back painted
5935692391_1b1b2c9655_z.jpg

Completed and back painted, the "Night Hawk" is ready for chrome taping...$30.00 worth.

This has been a great project. Now onto the next phase.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:popcorn: I hope some day to move away from the Chrome Tape, but it is inexpensive, fast and easy to use, with reasonable performance. I am looking at other options, but still don't really have the $$$ to make the change to 'Mirroring' yet...though on the upcoming "Light Sport" I may be in a better position to.

Starting the chrome taping

5936251404_96eb9c359c_z.jpg

Here you can see I am starting the chrome taping process, checking the progress with a reflection of my hand.

Finished 30" Night Hawk Reflector

5935693761_5ca4d03504_z.jpg
I have finished the 30" Night Hawk Reflector. The reflector came out well, still room for improvement...mostly need to get rid of small burrs, small ridges and other bumps.

Light Weight and easy to handle

5935694461_eb0c9d1401_z.jpg

The NightHawk is Light Weight and easy to handle. I am using everything I have learned from the prior built lights, to make the "Night Hawk".

1200 Watt HMI Phillips Light Bulb
5936255666_35633afc3c_z.jpg

1200 Watt HMI Phillips Light Bulb bulb is many years old, but still lights up nice and bright!

Building the Bulb housing.
5936254930_2b7a5fdb28_z.jpg

Here I am building the 1200 watt HMI Bulb housing. There is a lot of work in this area, to make the focusing plate and support structures operate properly!

I need to finish the bulb housing and socket support structure, add the reverse back reflector and wire all the components, plus yoke and stand....next few days I should have some good beam shots!

Last edited:

Enlightened
Nice....I have followed through your other thread about the 36" Gorilla. Can I ask if you have any experience with PAR56 or PAR64 MH spotlights? I don't think I am up to task in doing up a reflector for myself. There are no commercial spotlights (advertisement ones) in that size as well, all are very big.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice....I have followed through your other thread about the 36" Gorilla. Can I ask if you have any experience with PAR56 or PAR64 MH spotlights? I don't think I am up to task in doing up a reflector for myself. There are no commercial spotlights (advertisement ones) in that size as well, all are very big.

I have limited experience with PARs in general. The ones I have been around are Halogen stage lights that produced incredible beams.

My first large parabolic reflector, over twenty years ago, was made using moist desert dirt as the mold, shaped into a parabolic mound, covered with plastic and then paper mache' and covered with aluminum foil for reflective surface. Actually worked okay.

What are you trying to do?

Enlightened
I have limited experience with PARs in general. The ones I have been around are Halogen stage lights that produced incredible beams.
What are you trying to do?
Just trying to build a PAR searchlight with those plastic searchlight as hosts. But i'd like to do metal halide. Metal halide bulbs of 7mm gap and 1200W are attainable, 575W have 5.5mm which are incredible. Inverter/ballast not an issue. But reflector, a good one, is the problem.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just trying to build a PAR searchlight with those plastic searchlight as hosts. But i'd like to do metal halide. Metal halide bulbs of 7mm gap and 1200W are attainable, 575W have 5.5mm which are incredible. Inverter/ballast not an issue. But reflector, a good one, is the problem.

Have you checked out the various reflector suppliers like Edmond Scientific? I am at the point myself where making the reflectors needs emphasis on the finishing part, the smoothness and mirroring of the finished product. :confused::sick2:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works! :naughty:

I've got some incredible beam shots. I'll post them next few days. The Night Hawk, acts like the Gorilla. :thumbsup:

I need to do a little focusing, and a little more air circulation to keep the small back reflector from turning yellow, (tarnishing). :scowl:

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
LightSward! You are blazing trails again, brother!:clap:
The Night Hawk has come out very nice. You're gettin' super-good at the mold n' finish procedure.
I'm getting all three lights ready for perimeter patrol, and one is a 19" stand-by unit with an almost lousy silvered glass reflector.
No one, and I mean no body, is producing affordable reflectors with usable coatings.
Optiforms and Phoenix Electroformed have focal lengths more suited for Xenon use. Very nice, but spendy for our sizes!
Edmund Scientific's reflectors have great shape but a lousy finish for our lamp uses. I even tried to buff one out with no real success.

Ventilation is crucial, you want to keep the 1200W happy. Sorry to read that the heat is tarnishing your chrome! Bummer!!

Waiting......patiently.....for a beamshot. Don't hurry too much, details are important, right?

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened

2100, are these HMI Sharx lamps you're describing or HTI's? I was looking at the HTI type's and they have some serious ventilation requirements
and limited burning positions. Can you post a link to a site describing the 1200 Watt 7 mm gap? I think I saw that lamp in Osram's line-up.
Thanks!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
2100, are these HMI Sharx lamps you're describing or HTI's? I was looking at the HTI type's and they have some serious ventilation requirements
and limited burning positions. Can you post a link to a site describing the 1200 Watt 7 mm gap? I think I saw that lamp in Osram's line-up.
Thanks!

Here is a quick link for 7mm 1200 watt HTI/ HMI: Shark

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...QUKfE1&sig=AHIEtbRsegxM-Fkodfys4arpGsQXnBPT7A

The HTI 1200W/D7/60 SharXS lamp is a direct and equal replacement for the HMI 1200W/S lamp.

With a 7 mm electrode gap and 6000 K color temperature, the HTI 1200W/D7/60 SharXS lamp is being used in
fixtures such as Martin Professional and Vari-lite for entertainment applications.

Though the name has changed, technically the lamp is identical: dimensions, electrical properties and
photometrical data…all remain unchanged. The HTI 1200W/D7/75 SharXS lamp is also available in 7500 K color
temperature.
Hope this helps

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightSward! You are blazing trails again, brother!:clap:
The Night Hawk has come out very nice. You're gettin' super-good at the mold n' finish procedure.
I'm getting all three lights ready for perimeter patrol, and one is a 19" stand-by unit with an almost lousy silvered glass reflector.
No one, and I mean no body, is producing affordable reflectors with usable coatings.
Optiforms and Phoenix Electroformed have focal lengths more suited for Xenon use. Very nice, but spendy for our sizes!
Edmund Scientific's reflectors have great shape but a lousy finish for our lamp uses. I even tried to buff one out with no real success.

Ventilation is crucial, you want to keep the 1200W happy. Sorry to read that the heat is tarnishing your chrome! Bummer!!

Waiting......patiently.....for a beamshot. Don't hurry too much, details are important, right?

Thanks, I made this light quick, (one week or so, design/built), to temporarily replace the Gorilla, which is stranded in Las Vegas. Car over heated 20 miles out... I took the single ended Phillips bulb you sold me, socket and Jenbo ballast through security,...raising eye brows and took twenty minutes of x-ray-ing, talking, explaining, (possibly a TSA official may now join CPF), etc...home with me and left the 36 inch reflector in a storage shed. Hopefully KIA won't take this whole month to repair the car...and I can get the Gorilla home safe and sound...roar! I do need to work on the "quality of the surface". The Chrome tape, (has to be exactly the right type, many brands are dull or other issues), works well, but I would like to go for precision and some affordable type of mirroring.

Patrolling sounds kind of fun. I can't say enough...

I think I improved the ventilation, I had a small opening to prevent rain intrusion. the Ladle, Reflector over the bulb is too small, I think it will always tarnish. I really need to find a 5" bowl reflector. These type of bowls I used for back reflectors for several years could be found at: Targets, Wal-Marts, Ross Home Section, many super markets, Kitchen supplies, but now the new 'style', is a flat bottom and straight slanted sides, or dull finish...not good for back reflector use. I have to widen my search.

I did notice the lousy finish on Edmund's reflectors too.

Some Beam Shots coming up soon...couple hours, I may try and do some right now from a couple miles away...??

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
So much for the SIMRAN 120 / 220 volt transformer. I got two beam shot photos before this thing blew...fuse just fine...wah....
SIMRAN UPDATE: I found the defective cold-soldered connection on the fuse holder, and fixed the transformer myself. The supplier was trying to blame me for overloading the transformer. I think he is e-mailing off a script.

(CPF is not working too well either lately, I have to log in several times now, just to post a couple photos!)

Here is a beam shot similar to the one of the Gorilla last month.

5945245431_3ec954df6b_z.jpg

Night Hawk lights up

This is a composite shot looking almost straight up.

5945800670_57b6e6a823_z.jpg

Night hawk by the front door

You can see the temporary shelf board as the Night Hawk stand. The front door provides about the only straight up vantage point for the Night Hawk to beam 'Luxor' style.

5945240379_8d2455fc07_z.jpg

Night Hawk beam from back yard

Night Hawk beam from back yard. Living room window in picture.

5945796748_9f1a46a621_z.jpg

Night Hawk beam lights the sky

The Night Hawk gracefully lights the night sky.

5945237349_152ca5d3ef_z.jpg

Night Hawk competes with street light

Even with a bright street light overhead, you can clearly see the Night Hawk beam pointed away from a block away.

I'll post more shots, as I get another 220 volt source, or fix the 120 /220 transformer!
Update: I fixed the transformer while eating lunch! Easy loose wire fix.

Last edited: