PK Design Lab
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The 30" Night Hawk

Cool Re: The 30" Night Hawk

Here are a couple beam shots of the would have been perfect beam shots, but will be in a few weeks.

Thousand Watt Halogen bulb competes with the three quarter full moon.

Thousand Watt Halogen bulb competes with the three quarter full moon. The beam widens quickly as the reflector has blistered so badly, most of the reflector is no longer effective in making a tightly focused beam.

Beam as seen from a few feet away

Beam as seen from a few feet away. Light on white blossoms over exposes camera

Beam as seen from a few hundred feet away

Beam as seen from a few hundred feet away, shining away from us.

Beam from half a block distance

Here you can see the 1000 watt halogen beam as seen from half a block away. Light is aimed away from us.

Well, as I scrap parts of this searchlight and make it better, the beam will become more like the other shots of the NightHawk.
    Last edited by LightSward; 03-23-2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: stuff

Thumbs down Re: The 30" Night Hawk

Last night was cold, but even over a hundred feet away, in the beam of 1000 watt Halogen NightHawk, I was very warm! But now I must scrap the reflector, as it doesn't work well at all, with all the bubbles from the ALSACORP, rip off off-gassing products.

Beginning the removal of reflective film

Because of the defective ALSACORP rip-off products, (had to use three different cans to get a horrible finish, worse than a $5.00 can of home depot) that I thought would make a good reflector, but didn't, (false advertising), So I left them in place as undercoatings, since it's originally intended reflective qualities didn't work. Unfortunately not only rip-off, but off-gassers too! Ruined the reflective film I put over it. Now have to remove it, wasting even more money.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: The 30" Night Hawk

Not scrapping the whole reflector I hope, just needing refinished correct?
    Keep it between the ditches and the shiny side up.

Party Re: The 30" Night Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by Vortus View Post
    Not scrapping the whole reflector I hope, just needing refinished correct?
    Sometimes I can be a bit pessimistic, ...no I hope I can just remove the smooth glass like coatings that I think are off-gassing, and just re-coat with acrylic water based finish and age for a week or so, and then put a new film.

Just FYI

hmi light

Web definitions

Hydrargyrum medium-arc iodide, or HMI, is a mercury-halide gas discharge medium arc-length lamp with a multi-line emission spectrum. The...en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMI_light

Correct. You'll get much more power even with a reflector just a small fraction of the size. Look into the Phillips MSR Gold. Excellent lamps.
    I like big bulbs and I can not lie, you other brothers can't deny!

Here is some updated photos of the "refurbishing" of the 30 inch NightHawk reflector. The surface was ruined by off gassing of a layer of paint left under the reflective coating that in of itself was suppose to be a superior reflective paint on coating..what a laugh.

Bubbling reflective film from off gassing Bunk ALSACORP crummy products has absolutely ruined this once very nice reflector! For a few days, this was one of my best.

Want
    I'm always looking for new and better ways to make things but this time was duped by the ALSACORP, into buying a bogus product for a lot of money. I thought it would make a great under coating, since it was not as reflective as company claims, but off gassing ruined the reflective film placed over it.

Bubbling reflective coating is half removed

I am slowly removing the film, curios as to how much more 'off gassing' was occurring. Seems to have mostly stooped but still making bubbles grow, so I will strip all paint down to the bare fiberglass. This "Lesson" has ended up costing me $200.oo in lost products plus lots of lost time. I got some of my money back via the bank.

I will resurface with acrylic based treatments, wait a week or so and then re-apply a new reflective film. This should end this saga and allow me to finish the searchlight and deliver it to the patient client in NYC.
    Last edited by LightSward; 03-28-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: photos

Party Re: The 30" Night Hawk

I needed a better way to produce 30 inch rings of steel tubing. I use this dimension extensively in the production of the 30 inch NightHawk searchlight product line. I can bend steel pipe and tubing and other products of any diameter up to 1-6/8 inch diameter. I made mine using a standard 30 inch profile, carved usually with a router, but I used the table saw, adjusting the stays and saw blade height and then carefully guiding the profile through the saw in a circular motion.

Pipe bender wide angle profile adj.

Works great bending 1-1/2 inch steel conduit pipe. Used 2x4's on each side so that pipe bent into circle goes between handle bars to prevent 'crookedness' often associated with single handle benders.

Pipe bender wide angle adj.

Works great bending 1-1/2 inch steel conduit pipe. Used 2x4's on each side so that pipe bent into circle goes between handle bars to prevent 'crookedness' often associated with single handle benders.

Pipe bender made with table saw adj.

Good view of the channel cut into the stack of plywood using a table saw and grinder to make groove. This bender produces 1-1/2 inch diameter or less; steel or aluminum rings and partials equal to 30 inches in diameter give or take a few inches if needed.

Pipe bender ready for 'power handle' attachment adj.

Another great view of the channel tooled into the stack of plywood. This bender produces 1-1/2 inch diameter or less; steel or aluminum rings and partials equal to 30 inches in diameter.

Pipe bender First 1-1/2 inch diameter pipe bend complete adj.

First 1-1/2 inch diameter pipe yoke made with the bender.

Now I can make better vital components with less headaches, more accuracy, much faster, better quality.
    Last edited by LightSward; 04-04-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Just a quick update. I'm trying to get this awesome production light out the back door to the client, but many well meaning individuals are pulling me away for little emergencies and things I need to still get down in the real world...Isn't this the real world...LOL

Reflector surface treatment half removed

After reflector being ruined by a bogus product from ALSACORP rip off group, I have to remove the reflector film, and numerous surface under coatings.

New 1-1:2 inch diameter steel pipe Arbor

Now using a one and a half inch diameter steep pipe for the arbor. Will use multiple point rolling bearing system for solid searchlight operation.

Hopefully I will have some good finish photos soon. This is getting embarrassing to me, the client and everyone else. Live and learn.. Need more time, overhead etc.
    Last edited by LightSward; 04-04-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: one and a half inches

Arbor is 1-1/2 inch diameter outside diameter pipe! Finishing the reflector refurbishing before film replacement.
    Last edited by LightSward; 04-04-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Just a quick up-date on the 30 inch NightHawk Progress.

The very first NightHawk is again outfitted with a 100 watt Home Depot HID 7 mm arc metal halide bulb with daylight color temp. Great for working on my projects such as electrical, searchlight and some reading! Provides an excellent light source for those long cloudy, rainy days we get here in the Northwest. Can go over a mile like this and put a dim spot on clouds in the mile height above ground range.

Searchlight finally removed old defective base coats

All that drama for the failed AlsaCorp RIP-OFF coatings is over with the final removal of all those coatings last week. Still debating and analyzing what, if any, under coat to use.

Searchlight ready for another paint coating

Searchlight is getting another paint job after it's first test run proved disastrous from the AlsaCorp Crummy paint and reflector try-out..

Searchlight Stand

Searchlight stand with stabilizing wheel. Helps with turning searchlight. Will use dual locking plates for searchlight pitch angle.

Close up searchlight stand and yoke support and grip

Searchlight stand with stabilizing wheel close-up. Helps with turning searchlight with hand or added motorized servo.Electrical wiring

Electrical wiring

Re-wiring functions. Weather-proofing this art form.

Hopefully the stand workings and bottom ring try-out will be successful. I hope to get this thing in final form with-in the next week or so and have it ready for photo-shoot and comparison beam shots by then and shipped to the client after that. This has been an important learning experience for me. Next light(s) I make will be much faster. Took a while to figure out replacements for spit wads and bailing wire.
    Can't usually sell a light like that.
    Last edited by LightSward; 04-11-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: stuff!

The use of household items is very creative and amusing. I bet there'll be a toaster in there next. Oh wait.. next will be Mr. Fusion!

Last edited by get-lit; 04-11-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by get-lit View Post
    The use of household items is very creative and amusing. I bet there'll be a toaster in there next. Oh wait.. next will be Mr. Fusion!
    Yes, I considered using resistor, heating elements, halogen light bulbs and even a heater for a type of ballast if I couldn't find one for the HMI. Mr. Fusion sounds good.

From back to the future - the mad scientist.

I had to use my Facebook photo bucket to post these photos. Hope it works:

Getting ready for final paint jobs, apply reflective film, finalize electrical, tempered glass protective lens, mount personalized Bat Symbol behind lens for safety and do a check list of items. Will do a photo shoot and beam comparison shot for analysis.

My Flickr photo bucket isn't working again for 30 Inch NightHawk CPF Thread I maintain. I had to use Facebook. This particular searchlight is destined for a highrise condominium's balcony in New York City

I took the original Nighthawk I made a couple years back, put a lower wattage HID bulb in, and made it a work and reading light

Older original version of this searchlight has been re-outfitted to hang neatly out of the way in the ceiling, with a lower wattage bulb...a 100 watt HID 6000 lumen reading, workshop and desk light. Comes in handy for our long cloudy, rainy Winters.

Searchlight main body is lowered onto yoke stand for first fitting.

Reflective film is to be applied soon after the paint jobs.

Back View of yoke mounting and light

Back view of the Production NightHawk, resting for the first time on one and a half inch diameter steel yoke stand system. Wiring, painting, glass fitting and ventilation, cooling system work in progress.

Searchlight tilt angle locking plate

Close-up searchlight tilt angle locking plate. Locking knob to be fabricated and added next few days. Paint to be applied after final electrical conduits finalized, followed by reflective film coating.

Tempered glass check...no I didn't hit it very hard
    . Mostly checking for fit.

Searchlight tempered glass lens checked for fit and durability...lol.

Figuring out the best way to ensure weather resistance.

Tempered glass lens checked for fitting security and weather resistance.

I'll get this thing out the door next couple weeks!
    Last edited by LightSward; 04-14-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: spelling titles

I'm almost done with the 30 inch NightHawk searchlight. The client has been very patient. Hopefully Saturday night, (tonight), I'll be able to do a beam shot photo shoot. I'll have the rest done early next week...(glass sealing, vents, safety inspection, etc.).

Here are some photos to keep you informed.

30 inch NightHawk getting weatherization and electrical inspections

30 inch NightHawk getting weatherization and electrical inspections, as light will spend most of the time outside with a tarp.

Reflector prepared to receive reflective film coating

Reflector prepared to receive reflective film coating after paint finishes.

Reflective tape is precision cut with craft cutter

Reflective tape is precision cut with craft cutter using high tech blade...works much better than a razor.

30 inch NightHawk Reflective film is applied and checked for reflectivity

30 inch NightHawk Reflective film is applied and checked for reflectivity using my hand.

30 inch NightHawk reflective film looking good

30 inch NightHawk reflective film looking good after half is applied. No air bubbles or off gassing issues yet. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully this will be the NightHawk production model 1,000 watt Halogen 30,000 lumen Osram bulb powered beauty!

Searchlight pointed away from us 12-31-12 New Years Eve
    Last edited by LightSward; 04-20-2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: photos

Reflector film finished though had a slight snag when sealing the edges, which caused some slight scratch marks. May have to do some reflector re-filming.

Awesome build!

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredFireCaptain View Post
    Awesome build!
    Thanks! Much fun, but hard work sometimes. Here are some recent near finish photos and preliminary beam shots. Still needs focusing.

About to be turned on and focused.

Still little details to be done.

Beam Shot from old camera

Beam shots from preliminary focus.

Light cooling down and ready for detailing and rain protection add ons.

I'm almost done with the production 30 inch NightHawk searchlight Only seven weeks behind schedule, because I wanted to make it perfect. I'm still finding and correcting mistakes. At the same time I fiberglass each small final detail of the NightHawk slated for New York City delivery, I am working on the lightweight Sport Model that will be hand carry-able. The light slated for New York should be able to light the Stature of Liberty from it's slated new home.

I am finding small flaws in the mold and wax building them up.

Hopefully I will have this fast track , simple; 1,000 watt Halogen, 30,000 lumen light up and running by the Seattle Area Get Together in a couple weeks! I will also bring the 1,200 watt HMI, 100,000 lumen version as well...my Flagship piece right now.
    Last edited by LightSward; 05-12-2013 at 01:17 AM. Reason: 1000,000 lumen edit

Awesome project, I like the molding of the junction box right into the back of the housing.

yup, awesome thread, great read too

Sometimes I need portable cooing, either in my car, front porch, garage, or searchlight bulb. I made this portable cooler that gets 3 to 6 hours of cooling per bag of cold ice. A bath fan blower, portable battery operated fan or other squirrel cage fan will provide good air flow.

Ice Chest Air Conditioner and heat exchanger

Provides 3 to 6 hours of cooling, Hot days use ice faster. Home ice is 0 degrees F but store bought ice is often only around 32 degrees and melts faster.

Ice Chest Air Conditioner and heat exchanger ready for fan

Provides 3 to 6 hours of cooling, more when used like an ice chest without fan on, up to 36 hours.

Ice chest cooler

Core fits nicely in ice chest.
    A combination of some cold ice water, super cold ice cubes and a large solid block of ice, provide the best cooling and duration.

Ice Chest Air Conditioner and heat exchanger core

Finished core, can go into any sizable ice chest, attach fan blower and air ducts to comfort area.

I made this to be used at warm locations, and lights that need extra cooling.
    Last edited by LightSward; 05-16-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Recently had a CPF Get Together in the Seattle Renton, Washington area. Here are a few pictures taken at that exciting event and a few days before.

The 1,200 watt HMI NightHawk

The surface of the Nighthawk has some irregularities that give each light a unique character that no two lights share. this light imitate in many ways, the old 60 " WWII lights. I am very pleased with the results.

The 1,000 watt Junior Nighthawk is nothing to kid around with

This light packs a punch that makes it a light anyone wanting to really light something up, needs to have.

Night Hawk shines on neighbors homes

Just before sunset, beam looks bigger than actual, because of brightness.

NightHawk sits comfortably on back car seat for three hour journey from Portland, Oregon to the Seattle area.

The NightHawk was designed for easy carry and transport in small cars. It also has a powerful 'punch' due to it's size.

The two Night Hawks ready for the night-time picnic fun

The 1,000 watt halogen and 1,200 watt HMI Night-Hawks are readied for action. The 1,000 watt halogen Nighthawk sits in chair because it was made in just two or three days and hasn't been 'fitted' with a stand yet. The quick build of this 1,000 watt halogen model was actually for testing and calibration to examine the performance of the production Nighthawk being sent to New York's ground zero area to make that part of our nation more secure under it's watchful light beam.

1,000 watt Halogen and 1,200 watt HMI 30" Night-Hawks beams light the clouds at dusk

Seen the two Night-Hawks showing their stuff. One is a powerful 1,000 watt halogen light weight model that can be carried anywhere and the other the brighter 1,200 watt HMI super model lights the evening clouds.

1,000 watt Halogen and 1,200 watt HMI 30" Night-Hawks plus hand flashlight beams seen in the Spring time night sky

You can see the handheld flashlight beam jutting from the person seen just below the 1,000 watt halogen Night Hawk's beam.

1,000 watt Halogen and 1,200 watt HMI 30" Night-Hawks beam shot at dusk with hand light

A small yet powerful hand held light gets involved with the cloud shoot! You can see it on the left.

1,000 watt Halogen and 1,200 watt HMI 30" Night-Hawk's plus hand flashlight beams shot

you can see the three beautiful beams painting the night sky.

Beam shot from a block away

The two Night Hawk beams as seen from a block away.

1,000 watt Halogen and 1,200 watt HMI 30" Night-Hawks light clouds

The 1,000 watt Halogen Night Hawk produces a red orange glow on the clouds. The 1,200 watt HMI Nighthawk chops away with it's snow white and turquoise blue tinted cloud spot of light, as seen from a block away.

All the people attending had a great time! Those who(m) had the misfortune of not attending, we feel for yah! Make sure you come next time so you don't get left out. We'll see everyone back at the Barn in September.

I should have the New York bound light ready this week or so...No More delays!
    Last edited by LightSward; 05-20-2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: stuff

Flashaholic*

Congrats and cool pics!
    Keep it between the ditches and the shiny side up.

I'm assisting with restoration efforts of some of the 60 inch WWII carbon arc searchlights. Many of the mirrors have dulled to the point the lights are almost useless. Sad but kind of interesting to note my 30 inch NightHawk with the small 1,200 watt HMI is almost as bright as, (and even brighter in one case), many of these 'time dulled' beauties. It will be nice to get them 're-mirrored' so that they can shine with their former glory.

Here are some nice beam shots from 4th of July. Some taken during twilight before total darkness.

30 inch Night-Hawk illuminates yard.

30 inch Night-Hawk illuminates yard with secondary wash light.

30 inch Night-Hawk illuminates twilight sky

30 inch Night-Hawk illuminates twilight sky30 inch Searchlight aimed away towards Aloha High School

30 inch Searchlight aimed away towards Aloha High School after sunset 4th of July 2013

Limited sky view, but what the heck.

Not too many options for pointing the searchlight in the sky. I have to remove potted plants and squeeze the light beam between trees.

30 inch Searchlight after sunset 4th of July 2013

30 inch Searchlight aimed away towards Aloha High School after sunset 4th of July 2013. This photo taken a block away.

Taken a couple blocks from Aloha High.

Taken a couple blocks from Aloha High, Night-Hawk shines from nearly two miles away.

30 inch Night-Hawk shines from nearly two miles away.

30 inch Night-Hawk shines from nearly two miles away. Different atmospheric conditions greatly affect the beam appearance.

Searchlight is brighter than photo shows, from over two miles away.

Searchlight is brighter than photo shows, from over two miles away. Picture taken at the Aloha High school Sports field.

30 inch NightHawk shines from my deck.

30 inch NightHawk shines from my deck. I am very limited in the directions I can shine the light as the trees grow taller.

Fun to look at. Long delayed production model looks easy to build now that I have figured many things out.
    Last edited by LightSward; 07-06-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: photos

No pics?
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    No pics?
    Aren't the pictures showing up? My Android chops the pictures vertically in half. No beams in some of them. Flickr has changed so much, maybe I am not doing something correctly...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11735136@N06/9221727868/

How does this load. I may try adjusting to this smaller size...

Humn...This last photo loads just fine into the Android. I couldn't get the smaller size to work corrctly...???
    Last edited by LightSward; 07-07-2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: photo roulette

Hi,

Last post shows as . . .

Direct Link
    Thumbnail
    Full Size Picture

Great set of Pics - Thanks.
    Pete

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast