Newbie question: looking for a light to suit an electrician

chester_fb

Newly Enlightened
gday guys,

just stumbled across this forum while attempting to study up on headlamps.

basicly i'm after a headlamp that i can use for working in roofspaces and underhouses, i would also be using it for camping etc.

i have had a read through quite a few posts but most of it goes straight over my head.

so i'm looking for a really bright 3 watt lamp with lots of lumens i believe

so basicly i need some suggestions on which lamp to choose, i would like it to be as bright as possible.

from what i have read the silva L1 looks like a good lamp, but i cant seem to find anywhere to purchase them.

by the way im in australia. any help would be much appreciated

thanks in advance
Josh

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Josh, welcome to CPF.

If you will be mainly using this light for close-up work (less than 3 metres/10 feet) then you don't need (or want) a really bright light. In some circumstances there is definitely such a thing as too much light. A broad even (floody) beam is more suitable for that purpose, and sometimes only 18 lumens is plenty.

This thread has some very useful info on floody headlamps:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?310856-Flood-Beam-Headlamp-List-2011

If you were located near me (Canberra) I would be happy to let you look at my collection of headlamps to see what you like/dislike.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Josh, I agree with Gregoz on all points. You're looking for a floody headlamp that goes low enough. Chances are you'll work in the 20-60 lumen range. Modern single AA lights can do as much as 200 lm so "bright enough" won't be a problem.

I would also recommend a neutral/warm tint, or a high CRI light, so that your wire colors are distinguishable. The neutral/warm or hi-CRI will make your purple, dark green, and dark grey look different, as they should. I had an electrician friend that used a modern cool-emitter LED for awhile, and gave it up because he couldn't "see" with it, and went back to his handheld incan, working with one hand. Fortunately today we have options for better emitters.

Warms, neutrals, and high-CRIs are made variously by SureFire, Spark, & Zebralight. Also head over to the popularity survey (in my sig line) to see what other people are buying. Good luck on ya.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
For close up work I'd recommend the Zebralight H501w (neutral white LED.) This is the perfect flood light which does not have a hot spot at all. Lights with hot spots can be blinding for close up work.

For camping I'd recommend the Zebralight H51w (neutral white LED). This light could also be used for work, and as Bolster said, neutral tint would probably be better for your line of work.

I have both of these lights on the the same headband - one on the front & one on back. I just rotate the headband around to get to the other light. Works well.

Last edited: