Novatac 120T mod

fl0t

Enlightened
Yesterday I took apart my Novatac 120T because for quite some time I have been wanting to mod this light.
Now I have a light without driver and LED, and I would like to mount a new driver and LED.

My inspiration comes from the following mod made by DarkZero:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?226267-Novatac-amp-HDS-EDC-SSC-P7-D2Flex-Mods

I'm new to modding so I need some help on some ideas.
I want this to be as bright as it can be on the palm of your hand. I was thinking on using an XM-L T6 LED, no matter the runtime.
I would like to use this light with 1 or 2 CR123 primaries, so it should be able to handle 6V.

The only parts that I have right now are:

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

I also have an HDS 17670 Battery Tube so I can use 2 CR123s on this light.
I might also need another reflector. I don't want to modify the original reflector just to find out that I did it wrong.

Please post here all your thoughts: is it possible? am I nuts? runtime speculations, driver and LED recommendations, etc.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
After seeing darkzero do his, I had to have one. I posted about it here. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that light!!! I have it on my every day along with a Surefire E2L. The two make a great combination. I don't have any XM-L lights but I would imagine its more efficient than the P7.

I had a local machine shop open up the emitter hole on the heat sink. I would imagine if you could find an XM-L mounted on a small board, you could have the board downsized or the hole opened large enough to fit it in there.

The only piece I don't see in your pictures is the contact board that was on the back of the light engine... do you still have it? If not you're going to have to fabricate a new contact board, which might be a royal pain.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress! :twothumbs

fl0t

Enlightened
That's a nice work bluecrow76! I would very much like to see some comparison shots.

I see that you used the original positive PCB contact. I was able to recover the positive side too, mine is a little roughed up, but I think I can use it. If not, is there another option for this part?

I just don't know what to connect where:

IMG_2281.JPG

On a side note, I already ordered the XM-L T6 LED from ShiningBeam, 14mm base.
Now, I don't know which driver should I use. I was thinking on using the LFlex from TaskLED but I don't know if this driver is able to handle 2 CR123s without blowing up the LED.

I just realized my post might be a pain in the $%@#. I ask too many questions that might seem too stupid to most of you :ohgeez:
Thanks in advance for all the help!

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Just came across this old thread and realized I never answered your questions. Sorry!

How did your project come out?

fl0t

Enlightened
So weird that you replied now that Im back in the forum. I've been away for about 6 months or so.

My project is stuck right now, Im gonna have the heat-sink made from scratch in copper, still looking for a local local cnc shop.
I also have a multimeter coming my way to resolve my issue with the positive contact.

In the case that I cannot re-use the old ones, do you have an alternate solution? Maybe a new part that can fit.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also been considering doing an emitter upgrade to my old NovaTac 120P. I'd like to install something brighter, but still compatible with the driver so that all I'd have to do is swap out the pcb board with the new emitter on it. What's a recommended emitter for that? I take it the XM-L is more powerful than the existing driver can handle?

fl0t

Enlightened
The emitter swap on the novatac has been performed by many users. It is not complicated, you will only need the emitter, board and some soldering skills.

DatiLED had a run of 8mm boards that are perfect for your XM-L emitter swap. They are available here.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ Thanks fl0t, I had seen the DatiLED board and have it bookmarked. I'm not looking for a serious lumens increase. A 10-20% increase would be OK, but I'm more interested in an efficiency increase. It would be great to get 60 mins at 120 lumens, instead of the paltry 30 mins with the OEM emitter. What are a couple of compatible emitters that would work?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
ANY BODY HOME??? lol

Any more news on this vintage thread? I have a old 120T that came into my possession DOA. I was looking around to research some options. Curious if any of y'all are still around and messing with them>>>???? More so just a tinkering light. It was free, so I don't mind investing a few bucks or even sending it off for a skilled modder to work their magic.

:anyone: lovecpf

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Yea, I have, and still use all 5 of my NovaTacs, 4 of them have emitter upgrades. Two of them have Triple Nichia modules in them. My good friend Jamie Mods them for me. He is very good and professional at it, and his prices are very good. Turn around for a single emitter swap is one day. A Triple mod is more complicated and takes about a week to get your light back into your hands. The NovaTac is one of my all time Favorite lights to use, even tho the company went bust, I still plan on keeping and using my NT's for long time to come.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm.......

I have a Nitecore D20 that someone modded with an XPG2. I bought it on the marketplace as a project light. I also carry a Novatac 85T in my bag everyday.

What would happen if I tried to put the XPG2 in the Novatac??? Would it fit? Would it work?

fl0t

Enlightened
I haven't seen this thread in some time, sorry.

I haven't done any advance in this mod in the last 4 years, but I'm looking to finish it up, probably with a triple emitter setup? they seem to be trending these days.
I have a couple Lflex drivers brand new.
I am thinking on sketching a heat sink and have it made in copper from scratch.

Any thoughts?

WallE

Newly Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator: